Road Cycling

Soldato
We're frenemies :D

He does the coach, power meter, vegan on and off and sticks to zones.

I ride hard 'most' of the time and go up climbs faster even when he's a few kgs lighter.

Soldato
Internally cable mechanical handlebars.....

My head says don’t bother. On the TT handbars you end up with the cable then rattling in the handlebar and the routing is cack.

There’s no channel for the outers but they are round bars anyway, just do it like you normally would is the easiest and best way right?!???!

When is a 42cm bar not a 42cm bar.... when it measures 44cm... ffs

Old 3T 44cm bars are 44cm edge to edge with a flared drop. New 3T bars are 42cm c-c otherwise known as 44cm edge to edge....

3T measure the bars centre to centre on the drop.

My Ergonova are flared so the hood is the same width but then flares, the new bars are a classic round bar no flare and classic rounded drop which is what I like.

Deda measure edge to edge....

Deda 42cm bars measure 42 edge to edge which is what I actually wanted but the 3T bars were cheaper and I didn’t give it any thought. Have to send back to wiggle for a refund and order 40cm ones. You’d think there would be a standard wouldn’t you!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah Deda must catch loads of people out!

They also do the whole 31.7mm thing too which is actually the same as 31.8mm.

Yeah and my old bars being flared at the drops measured at the drops as a 44cm, but the hoods are a 42cm.

Anyway... mistake made, ordered the 40s and paid the post to have them Saturday.

I don’t think the internal routing will work with my frame as the holes in the handlebars are too close to the stem, to then make the bend round, up and down into the top tube will be too tight.

Another one of those things in the bike industry that needs a standard standard not a “standard” which could mean anything.

Don

That looks pretty decent - I'm looking at a new bike of some sort fairly soon, for £75 more they do a Sora verison as well:
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-pr7-sora-alloy-road-bike-2019-114766.html

Mango bikes are another option if you want something a bit more eye catching - £425
https://mangobikes.com/shop/bikes/the-og-1x/the-og-1x8sp-riser-matte-green/

Soldato
Because smashing it and feeling fast feels great! If you felt fat and were slogging uphill then it’s just not fun!

Got all the fun of the internal frame cabling tomorrow now I have the narrow bars. Could be 5 mins or 5 hours!

Soldato
Talk to me about shoes... I watched one video where the guy said "they're more important than those carbon wheels you've been eyeing up!". I'm on pretty crappy MTB shoes at the moment, I just got paid my bonus, so I'm thinking something with a nice carbon sole. Maybe pushing the boat right out and getting some Shimano S-Phyre? (I like Sigma have them in a wide fit!) Do I then not scrimp on the pedals either and go Dura Ace? Or am I wasting money?

Soldato
Like pretty much everything else the 105 pedals are plenty good enough and anything more expensive is a little bit lighter and more tarty.

Soldato
Talk to me about shoes... I watched one video where the guy said "they're more important than those carbon wheels you've been eyeing up!". I'm on pretty crappy MTB shoes at the moment, I just got paid my bonus, so I'm thinking something with a nice carbon sole. Maybe pushing the boat right out and getting some Shimano S-Phyre? (I like Sigma have them in a wide fit!) Do I then not scrimp on the pedals either and go Dura Ace? Or am I wasting money?

I got those Sphyre RC901's for this season. I have not a single reason or moan about that at all. They are incredible.
So can say to you with confidence, buy them, you won't be disappointed. At the price range they are untouchable and compete with other shoes that are £50+ more at least.

The only other shoes I would have over these is:
S-Works 7. But they are £300+ minimum.
Suplest Pro+. £300+ minimum.
Fizik R1 Infinito - Currently on Sigma for £280.

^ They're what the RC9's compete with level wise and they're a good bit cheaper but sacrifice nothing feature/quality wise. No brainer mate :)

Soldato
Great, thanks for the input.

@xdcx any comment on fit? I have quite wide feet and usually a 10½, so am planning to order the 45 wide...

I'm a UK8 in trainers and the 42 is spot on. That's what size they suggested on the charts and searching around.
I have a cheap set of Shimano with SPD's on for gym wattbike, also a 42.
My Giro's I had for past couple seasons are a 42 also.
So they seem to fit true to size and the chart matches for me.

I have narrow feet and high arch. I do have to tighten them quite a lot on the BOA's. It's maybe worth you buying both standard width and wide then sending back the ones which don't work for you. I know it's a hassle like, but it's a lot of money and you want 3-4 years out of these bad boys so a wee bit of hassle now will be worth it in the very long run and give you that peace of mind.

Soldato
Dura Ace pedals do have different bearings iirc, but really aren’t worth the extra.

Just get R7000 or R8000.

Personally I’d get the 8000 as they have the metal plate over the body of the pedal which the 7000s don’t (but previously when they were 5800 they did).

I have the 5800, 7000 and 6800. The 6800 I have owned 8 years and have done 50-60k km and I have never touched them.

Soldato
Hope everyone is enjoying the weather and riding responsibly ;)

My legs are screaming for some recovery days but this weather is crazy at the moment, just too good too miss when there's nothing else to do (on furlough)

My CTL is the highest it's ever been. 110 as of today!! ( just gone up and up from lockdown date (23rd)

Anyone else the same?

1DwxSNY.png

Soldato
I had a lighter week so far, I have still been working but I am on annual leave next week and the weather is due to turn tomorrow.....

I fitted my handlebars this morning, once I stopped being thick and used the old cable to guide the new ones through the frame. All new gear and brake cables and some new outers. Cleaned the rear shifter mechanism up and regreased it. New tape on, looks good, not pro speed but couple of hours wasn’t too bad for all the cables, adjustment and bar tape.

Gave it a test ride, needed a slight angle adjustment on the bars, will give it another ride tomorrow and might have to alter the hoods. Shifting is sweet with the shifter all cleaned out and refreshed. In my experience the hoods never go back as good as when new and my rear is torn slightly too now. Damn expensive to replace for what they are!

Considering using the internal routing for the brake hoses only and leaving the shifters under the bar tape. If I have to adjust the hoods then I’ll probably do it, otherwise leave it as is.

Soldato
I use the rc7s and xc7s and as with xdcx they're spot on. I find them quite wide compared to my northwave shoes. I'd definitely get the top of the range ones if you've got the money.

Proper easy day today, first time in a while I've just gone out and had a relaxing pedal chilling along at 150w. Then came home and did a proper lockdown job of starting to paint my garage.managed to get half done before running out of paint. Should stop some dust build up and make it a bit lighter. No idea when I'll be arsed to do the rest as the first half was the easy bit..

Back
Top Bottom