Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone else the same?

1DwxSNY.png

Hell yeah - same boat, fitness and freshness in strava never been so high (huge negative on freshness).

Rested yesterday, endurance this morning, will give my 48 yo body time to repair then go again. Keen to avoid OTS obviously, but also kinda interested to see what I can cope with.

Soldato
2 hours of hills today, get a bit of variation, intensity and easy.

I do need to move my hoods up now but the drops felt better, maybe have to wind the lever reach adjustment in too. Little tweaks here and there but no shoulder pain and feel more reaching forward than outward.

Everything working sweet, wouldn’t mind a bit more braking power...

Soldato
Finding motivation a bit odd last few days with sticking to training so sort of just riding a bit less structure and making sure I'm enjoying it. Unfortunately the sadist in me seems to think going hard is enjoyable.

Was planning some sweetspot today on one of the usual club run routes but after a few minutes and realising the first half of the route it quite narrow with a gravel centre line I tried to ride it like a good spring classic. Hard and keep the speed up. Went from ooh I'll do a couple of 30 mins to I'll do an hour to I'll do the loop so ended up doing just under 1hr 50 with bits of recovery on the downhill.

Was proper knackered after and munched down a Co op meal deal in about a minute before having to ride an hour home. Need a good Sunday lie down watching the Movistar doc now.

https://strava.app.link/qudqP1o6Z5

Soldato
Did 40 miles yesterday and actually felt fine, so went out to do 26 today and was regretting it with about 6 miles to go, I had nothing left in my legs... limped home and now looking forward to this evenings weekly greasy kebab!

Also, yes Fitness is at an all time high of 87, but fatigue is only second highest at 110.

Soldato
Just tape as standard and hide it under the tape.

Some of the bars are a ******* disgrace the way they route the cables. End up with you cables all scratched to hell.

Adjusted the shifters, thought I’d try the internal routing but yeah as you said. It was a mare to get the outer through the bar and then it scratched and cut the outside of it so it would look like crap.

Soldato
Any recommendations on tyres, I didnt have a turbo trainer one so just used my conti gatorskin that was on my wheel, but it blown through that so I need a replacement one. I have ordered a turbo tyre but need to get an everyday replacement one for my commute to work.

Lifeline prime armour. Like a gatorskin but cheaper and better.

Soldato
Hope everyone is enjoying the weather and riding responsibly ;)

My legs are screaming for some recovery days but this weather is crazy at the moment, just too good too miss when there's nothing else to do (on furlough)

My CTL is the highest it's ever been. 110 as of today!! ( just gone up and up from lockdown date (23rd)

Anyone else the same?

Nice work and, yep, definitely making the most of it. Over a thousand miles this month and most of those outside. CTL hit 101 today and that included an FTP increase halfway through. Quite enjoying lockdown tbh. :o

Soldato
Lockdown being alright for getting some training and some tan lines.... but getting annoyed at going alright and having no racing to put it toward.
Had a little nudge on a local climb straight out my door and done 405w for 3mins. Way over 1500VAM so surprised I am doing that just now.
Then done 10mins SS on a rolling road 277w and 45kph average with a slight cross tail. Legs are decent but totally a waste right now.

Soldato
Pftttt I can do those numbers too @ 80kg ;)

I am missing the bunch ride, even if I am not the most chatty/coffee rider, for the uphill efforts, little sprints and pushing yourself against others.

Holding out for some epic warm July/August evening TTs, but maybe this will be my best form of the year at the moment depending on work/life.

Soldato
Lockdown being alright for getting some training and some tan lines.... but getting annoyed at going alright and having no racing to put it toward.
Had a little nudge on a local climb straight out my door and done 405w for 3mins. Way over 1500VAM so surprised I am doing that just now.
Then done 10mins SS on a rolling road 277w and 45kph average with a slight cross tail. Legs are decent but totally a waste right now.

I tootled over to my nearest cat 4 hill yesterday (https://www.strava.com/segments/9717487?filter=overall) - first time I've ever been under 5 minutes for it, so the regular pre-breakfast TT sessions are obviously paying off. PM pedals are still living on the turbo bike so exact power is unknown but seems to be heading upwards :cool:

Soldato
Pftttt I can do those numbers too @ 80kg ;)

I am missing the bunch ride, even if I am not the most chatty/coffee rider, for the uphill efforts, little sprints and pushing yourself against others.

Holding out for some epic warm July/August evening TTs, but maybe this will be my best form of the year at the moment depending on work/life.

He's cheating being so light, I'd need to do 500w to stay with him on a climb :mad:

No pedal for me yesterday or today, self isolating as wifey has/had a cough, sore throat and had a slight spike in temperature. Going to get tested tomorrow so a day or two after that before we know.

Talking of shoes, RC9 are the Gucci gear. My boss has like 5 pairs of them as he likes them that much.

My budget will only allow for RC7 which I will try soon, my Giro Trans put pressure on the side of my foot where I broke it years ago.

Soldato
Finally managed to drag my ass out onto the roads after god knows how long today. Just started off with a gentle 12 miles. Taken a week off work this week so planning on increasing the miles over the next few days when the weather is ok.

Soldato
i decided to take advantage of lockdown and not having any obligatory riding to do (no commutes) to try and fix my disastrous posture. Correcting my pelvis only succeeded in highlighting that my whole top half was twisted too. probably explains why i was going through left gloves and bar tape much faster than right.....

Soldato
I don't think I mentioned it before, but I won some kind of 'Halfords Cyclist of the Year' award through their cycle to work scheme last year. I've won (but yet to receive) a Boardman eBike and a day at their Boardman Performance Centre, getting a bike fit and being presented with the eBike. Well, it looks like I wont be getting the bike fit any more as they've just announced they're closing the Performance Centre! :(

Still, the eBike will be interesting. How does it work with Strava and PR's and such? I wouldn't want an assisted segment to take a PR over a non assisted ride?

Soldato
I think you tag the ride as e bike ride as you do for ride or indoor/virtual, you have your own leader boards.

There is a discussion on a fb group about an ebiker taking 2 hard climbs locally, an old boy out enjoying himself unknown how it works.

Soldato
I don't think I mentioned it before, but I won some kind of 'Halfords Cyclist of the Year' award through their cycle to work scheme last year. I've won (but yet to receive) a Boardman eBike and a day at their Boardman Performance Centre, getting a bike fit and being presented with the eBike. Well, it looks like I wont be getting the bike fit any more as they've just announced they're closing the Performance Centre! :(

Still, the eBike will be interesting. How does it work with Strava and PR's and such? I wouldn't want an assisted segment to take a PR over a non assisted ride?

Congrats!

I think they were looking for a buyer for the Performance Centre. Bad climate for it. That's a shame as it seemed like a decent facility. Did someone on here give it a go? @Shadowness I think?

Back
Top Bottom