I wish I knew about this painting trick before (cutting in straight lines)

Soldato
I'm painting the entire house during lockdown and always wondered how I was going to cut the ceiling in above the second landing. The distance between the highest step and the ceiling is 4m and there's no safe way to get up a ladder to paint properly. Whilst I have gone up the ladder, it's not really very safe, and there's no way I can paint with any accuracy, although I can just about manage to sand/stick some masking tape on.

I've always usually gone freehand as even using the best masking tape can bleed at times, although I actually need to draw a straight line from one wall to another as the ceiling curves down in front of the landing banister. There's no way in hell I can get that done without tape and a roller on a long pole.

anyways, I stumbled across a youtube comment which said a trick he used was to put masking tape on, then paint over it with the same colour as what's underneath (in my case, white for the ceiling), then once it's dried to paint over it a second time with your actual wall colour (green). The first coat seals the edge of the tape, any bleed is invisible as it's the same colour as before.

Tried it yesterday and just took the masking tape off now. Wow!

This may be old news to most, but it's new to me :D:D:D

TptpRI5.jpg
K6aZEZl.jpg
fTlyARK.jpg
CmzNVov.jpg

Associate
Ooh nice trick I hate cutting in. I suppose the issue with taping up in general is when you pull the tape you may peel off paint from either the wall or ceiling if it's made a seel?

Man of Honour
Perfect timing as I've never done any real decorating other than splashing some paint on other peoples walls if they needed a hand and the mrs wants to do the little ones room properly for her birthday so I'll try and remember this.

Associate
Tip for removing the tape - run hairdryer gently over it before you pull it off. It loosens the adhesive and I found it came off far easier without peeling the paint under it off.

Soldato
Get decent masking tape, ensure the surface it free from dust and then remove it before the paint dries. Its easier to remove and you can tear the paint if its dried.

Underboss
I done a stupid, explained the trick to my wife...

Guess who's going to have to test this out now starting in the hallway...this lockdown has rotted my brain.

Soldato
anyways, I stumbled across a youtube comment which said a trick he used was to put masking tape on, then paint over it

Nice one. In the absence of masking tape, I used a plasterer's trowel. Just place the trowel to protect what you don't want painted then paint up to it. It doesn't matter if paint gets on the trowel as it can be cleaned.

Soldato
OP
frog tape doesnt bleed.

Oh it does. Frog tape is crap imho, usually pulls the paint off too (including the green and the yellow, yellows worse than the green).

Tessa tapes what you need, but even that isn’t 100%. Only way is to seal the edge with paint...have heard pros using chalk too although that seems a bit messy to me.

In fact, sado me tried numerous masking tapes to see which one was the best

1. Tessa tape
2. Blue from wilkos
3. Fixman low tac
4. Cheap stuff I bought from Poundland
5. Frogtape

Update: Just redone the hallway ceiling, perfect! Not even 1mm of bleed. Tomorrow, landings, banister, skirtings and door frames.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom