Road Cycling

Soldato
My kid has decided he's loving zwift at the moment, been pushing some great numbers as well for a 12yr old! He's got such a ****** old decathlon bike, so I've sourced him a planet X frame which will fit him. Second hand but carbon job! Comes with stem and 380mm handlebars, so will be perfect. I found a set of SRAM red shifters here, so might just cobble together some stuff off eBay! I've got some spare Zondas that can go on it too. Will be a wicked bike when I'm done!

Just ordered this! Woo! Guy was great as well, he's chucked a few extra things in the box which is being collected Monday, like clothes etc. from his kid! Amazing.

s-l1600.jpg

Need to repair the spoke on these Zondas... google is telling me this is a bit of a PITA! Ordered a spoke though so will see how we get on.
Now to scour the net for F/R derailleurs, crank set and brake calipers. The rest I've got lying about.

Soldato
Does anyone know what model endura shorts the custom kit are based on?

My team kit ones were great when new but I think I've just wore them out.

They have a red pad, the lazer cut end on the legs with rubber lines in the inside. I got medium last time but feel a large would suit my tree trunks better.

Got free Madison shorts from work in a large and they feel nice but the fabric is real thin for warm days only and it doesn't have much structure to it so the pad can move lots and I end up having to move about the saddle a lot.

Soldato
Does anyone know what model endura shorts the custom kit are based on?

My team kit ones were great when new but I think I've just wore them out.

They have a red pad, the lazer cut end on the legs with rubber lines in the inside. I got medium last time but feel a large would suit my tree trunks better.

Got free Madison shorts from work in a large and they feel nice but the fabric is real thin for warm days only and it doesn't have much structure to it so the pad can move lots and I end up having to move about the saddle a lot.

Just straight up contact Endura man.
Speaking to my mate who does ERC's kit right now and saying how great Endura are. Proper down to earth and helpful.
Shoot them and email and they'll tell you exactly what you need to know, I am sure of it.

Soldato
IT will depend on what your team kit specced, we got some about 6 or so years ago for a charity ride and you could spec whichever pad/fabric they did on all their other ranges at the time. I wasnt' a fan of the pad but the jacket I got at the time was fantastic and was using it up until I left it at a TT last year!

Soldato
End of my week off. Monday was a ripper day, warm & sunny, my riding felt good & strong.

Rest of the week so so, winter bike Wednesday, a good ride. Thursday was threat of rain but never came and tired. Last 15 mins was heavy rain on Wednesday but not worth stopping to put waterproof on.

Dry today so an easy recovery spin, still playing with handlebar angle on my R5 with the new bars. Hopefully got it where I want it, adjusted the hoods to suit (3-5 degrees up, but it’s hard to measure accurately). It takes a little while as I tape the cables to the bar using electrical tape first then bar tape over the top. Ime I’ve found it stops any cable moving around and you don’t end up fighting them while trying to tape at the same time.

CyclingTips has a really good article on handlebar setup from a few years back, well worth a read.

Soldato
it's probably a lot easier if you dont have to look at the seller. It just arrives in a bag like a new one would....

I don’t see why people are so averse to buying used shorts, surely you wash them before use and anything the seller *could* have done with them pales into insignificance with how feral they are after a warm five hour ride.

Soldato
You know triathletes don’t stop to use the bathroom when racing.... :o

Used clothing personally a no no.

My eBay special DA9000 front brake came today. Fitted no issues, the clearance is good (better than the Red callipers) for the tyre vertically, 3.5mm approx. It’s a little less at the shoulder:side of the tyre where the pivot points of the calliper are 2.5mm here.

The Red callipers are totally different design here and have loads of room. I do prefer the look and design of the sram, lighter and more like a brake should look, Shimano are bulkier and more utilitarian.

I think the rear will be a closer fit as the tyre is slightly wider on the rim, but it depends on the distance from the mounting point to rim (tyre width is 28mm vs 29.7mm). That point of the tyre doesn’t attract any dirt and I don’t have any mad wheel flex I am aware of so I think I’ll be OK...

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, heard back from Halfords and they're giving up on sending me the eBike and sending me a Cycle2Work voucher... for £2750, with accessories for £275! Wow!
That is a pretty mega result! :o

No cycling for me :(

Mrs is positive, I have to isolate for 14 days. :o
Good luck, get some sexy time in to make sure you get it so both get through it in that 14 days buddy. All over and done with! Good excuse, eh? ;)

Your shoes saved 5 mins? :rolleyes:
New kit always saves time, like all the PR's I got when changing my FD :D

I don’t see why people are so averse to buying used shorts, surely you wash them before use and anything the seller *could* have done with them pales into insignificance with how feral they are after a warm five hour ride.
Totally agree with this. I wouldn't be able to own 9 pairs of Rapha shorts otherwise! :cool:

Your milage can vary, I'll admit 2 of them turned up more worn/marked than I would like, but £30-40 for Rapha shorts I only really bought to use on the turbo can't complain. Got a pair of Brevet for £60 and the matching jersey for £45 but as they're from different people the colour fade on them is nowhere near so can't really wear them as a 'pair'. Doh! But don't think I'd prefer to have paid +£200 just to have matching kit! ;) :D

Shorts is about the only thing I've bought large numbers of second hand, just 1 or 2 jerseys, most new. But does mean I don't need to wear cheapo shorts for commuting and have enough kit to rotate at least 2 weeks of commuting and leisure riding... I never have the problem of 'oh no my best shorts are in the wash' ;)

Mrs has allowed me out further than the usual 1-2 hours today. Ride I did last week was scouting out distance to a loop I want to do with an epic climb on from 2015-16 I've been meaning to ride again. Hopefully around the 3-3.5 hour mark. Perfect! :cool:

Soldato
Great weather this morning. I’d had an easy couple of days so had a decent ride.

Dura ace front brake impressions good, more progressive braking and a lot less force required, it’s easy to brake quite hard from the hood.

Still working on my handlebar position, I’m fine with the width, reach and drop, with the classic bend as I have quite big hands, the shifters are too close to the bar, it’s fine to upshift, but to downshift my fingers too squashed up to press the lever over that far comfortably to double click it. With Shimano I’d be fine as the brake levers a comfortable distance.

I’ll give it some more rides and tweaks, but maybe it’s not the Goldilocks handlebar for me. :(

Would probably look at an alloy Deda bar as I don’t want a flared drop which is all 3T offer now, same as my winter bike but higher spec alloy, only giving up 60-70g over the carbon bars which don’t have the best reputation on WW (cracking at low torque).

Last edited:
Soldato
@Berger I've went from 44cm anatomic Pro vibe to a 42cm compact drop on this Cannondale. I quite like the narrower bars again but the Felt also feels good on the drops. The hoods are different shapes and pointing up slightly on the S6 and higher as we need to sell the bike when I'm done with it so it isn't mega slammed.

I'm never happy but I think my next stop would be a 44cm compact drop bar :D

I wouldn't buy second hand shorts after how mine are after some rides. I did have a pair of sportful a friend/customer gave me as he didn't like the length but he only used them for a test and he is a clean freak. Think I wore a skinsuit that was used too actually. Looked brand new so who knows.

@Roady I definitely have it but sexy time made sure of it. I sounded like Barry white that day and was super out of breath afterwards. Worth it :p

Soldato
Nike re-entered cycling shoe market but with an internal 'spin' shoe to grab the spin/peloton market. No carbon goodness yet but I'm quite tempted by a pair - Nike are my trainer of preference and I do quite like to use a shoe for internal use...

Also Cav and Luke Rowe vEverested - https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/cavendish-rowe-complete-everest-challenge-on-zwift/

@Roady I definitely have it but sexy time made sure of it. I sounded like Barry white that day and was super out of breath afterwards. Worth it :p
:D

Good to hear it wasn't that bad for you & fingers crossed that's it all done! Barry White before worked? Asking for a friend... :p

Went out on Sunday to do a 3+ hour loop but is it me or has the wind changed direction again? Was quite cool and would've been a block headwind for 1+ hours so did a bit of a random 2 hour couple of loops instead. Went out with the intentions to suffer on hills and I did even with the ad-hoc route - https://strava.app.link/xs1b9w0Te6

As these are app links, do they open ok for everyone? Even on desktop without following/not logged into Strava?

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m losing weight due to both eating less and cycling less I think. Doing TrainerRoad medium volume but that’s 60% of the time I spend commuting each week albeit at a lower intensity

Soldato
Nike re-entered cycling shoe market but with an internal 'spin' shoe to grab the spin/peloton market. No carbon goodness yet but I'm quite tempted by a pair - Nike are my trainer of preference and I do quite like to use a shoe for internal use...

Also Cav and Luke Rowe vEverested - https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/cavendish-rowe-complete-everest-challenge-on-zwift/

:D

Good to hear it wasn't that bad for you & fingers crossed that's it all done! Barry White before worked? Asking for a friend... :p

Went out on Sunday to do a 3+ hour loop but is it me or has the wind changed direction again? Was quite cool and would've been a block headwind for 1+ hours so did a bit of a random 2 hour couple of loops instead. Went out with the intentions to suffer on hills and I did even with the ad-hoc route - https://strava.app.link/xs1b9w0Te6

As these are app links, do they open ok for everyone? Even on desktop without following/not logged into Strava?

I need some new gutties as Giro Trans have never been right and the forward threaded insert is spinning.

I liked the black Nike ones gallusbaffies made. Some mad custom shoes. Any idea on prices??

Back
Top Bottom