• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
A slight extra kick in the balls according to Moore's Law is Dead. Better Zen 2 chips "Matisse 2" are launching at the start of July and these will not be compatible with 400 series boards. Apparently clock speed boosts of ~150Mhz so we might see a 8 core 4.7Ghz 3750x

Associate
The worst thing is AMD is CPU designer,so probably has a clue of the microcode sizes,a few years ahead of launch,as they have to have functional design specs to make prototypes for testing,etc. So to then not make sure their reference platforms to have big enough BIOS chip,is either incompetence or the fact they expected to EOL these platforms earlier than they hinted at.

AMD then decided to hold off the B550 for 12 months. This is entirely on them!

If they knew they wouldn't release B550 for 12 months,they could have made another revision of B450 at the Zen2 launch which would have been certified to work with Zen3,ie,big enough BIOS chips,etc.

Called it B450X or something like that.

100% agree.

This is the main issue - not informing us of the situation when the x570 launched. They had the perfect opportunity to make the decision and announcement then if plans had changed. People who bought B450's for Ryzen 3000 and 4000 (let's be honest all the info at the time suggested this was possible and the x570 was very expensive) have effectively been mislead.

Many customer's are pointing this out, but the tech sites and youtubers seem to be missing this point for some reason. Wish they'd discuss it more. Perhaps in time.

I'll just wait and buy a second hand 3700x when I was looking to buy a 4000 series on release, then on to DDR5 in the future. Not worth a new motherboard for potentially 1 CPU generation.

Soldato
A slight extra kick in the balls according to Moore's Law is Dead. Better Zen 2 chips "Matisse 2" are launching at the start of July and these will not be compatible with 400 series boards. Apparently clock speed boosts of ~150Mhz so we might see a 8 core 4.7Ghz 3750x

So artifical segmentation,Intel style! Nice!

100% agree.

This is the main issue - not informing us of the situation when the x570 launched. They had the perfect opportunity to make the decision and announcement then if plans had changed. People who bought B450's for Ryzen 3000 and 4000 (let's be honest all the info at the time suggested this was possible and the x570 was very expensive) have effectively been mislead.

Many customer's are pointing this out, but the tech sites and youtubers seem to be missing this point for some reason. Wish they'd discuss it more. Perhaps in time.

I'll just wait and buy a second hand 3700x when I was looking to buy a 4000 series on release, then on to DDR5 in the future. Not worth a new motherboard for potentially 1 CPU generation.

Funny how companies are all nice to customers when they are behind,but when they are ahead they all seem to act the same! :(

Caporegime

You may not be too wrong with that, AdoredTV and a couple of others also hinted at a "Matisse 2" there is a chance we may get a Zen 2+ right after Intel disappoint us with the latest 14nm++++++++++++++++++++ refresh.

It would be cool if they had an 8 core CCX, like the singular CCX in the 3300X.

Soldato
You may not be too wrong with that, AdoredTV and a couple of others also hinted at a "Matisse 2" there is a chance we may get a Zen 2+ right after Intel disappoint us with the latest 14nm++++++++++++++++++++ refresh.

It would be cool if they had an 8 core CCX, like the singular CCX in the 3300X.

You did read that right?? It will only work in B550 and X570 motherboads. Full blown Intel tactics if true - actually worse as Intel NEVER blocked the Core i7 4790K and Core i7 7700K from earlier motherboards.

I also think that if someone needs Zen3 now and is on an old CPU,they should just skip the 500 series motherboards. Who knows if AMD will release an X670 and B650 and say 500 series motherboards have some limitations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of role reversal at the moment.

AMD are the Nvidia of the CPU space and can afford to tweak their line up to what ever Intel has to offer to always stay ahead.

Good times, except they are way behind in the GPU space and need to do the same.

Soldato
Bit of role reversal at the moment.

AMD are the Nvidia of the CPU space and can afford to tweak their line up to what ever Intel has to offer to always stay ahead.

Good times, except they are way behind in the GPU space and need to do the same.

Reminds me of the Athlon 64 era,but then we also had socket 754,and AM2 which were not very long lived either! :p

Permabanned
So those who potentially cheaped out on a 400 series board because they were expecting to be able to upgrade multiple cpu generations ahead are now worried.

Those of us that decided not only to wait until the 3rd gen to have a worthwhile cpu upgrade, but also decided not to cheap out on the motherboard will be guaranteed access to the 4000 series.

Look I’ll do my bit for the community. If anybody cannot upgrade to the 4000 series due to these potential motherboard issues, I will sell them my 3600, if it’s wanted, for a reasonable price and upgrade myself to zen3.

Not gloating by the way but deliberately held out until zen2 for a reason and decided I’d do it properly while I was at it, even though I could have saved at little bit of money and went 400 series instead.

Caporegime
So those who potentially cheaped out on a 400 series board because they were expecting to be able to upgrade multiple cpu generations ahead are now worried.

Those of us that decided not only to wait until the 3rd gen to have a worthwhile cpu upgrade, but also decided not to cheap out on the motherboard will be guaranteed access to the 4000 series.

Look I’ll do my bit for the community. If anybody cannot upgrade to the 4000 series due to these potential motherboard issues, I will sell them my 3600, if it’s wanted, for a reasonable price and upgrade myself to zen3.

Cheaped out?
Lol what type of elitism is this?

I say this as someone with an X570 Strix F and a 3900X.

Soldato
I think even if Intel did have compelling price competitive components they still have the stigma surrounding spectre and meltdown to contend with and I think lots of companies are very wary of this.

Will take years of excellent products and a clean bill of health for this image to finally be forgotten about.

Permabanned
Cheaped out?
Lol what type of elitism is this?

I say this as someone with an X570 Strix F and a 3900X.
It’s not elitism at all I very rarely upgrade and normally cheap out myself, this time I didn’t and maybe that will pay off for me. I’m still rocking a second hand 980ti by the way, not because I can’t upgrade I just don’t see a viable upgrade yet.

Soldato
Well technically speaking those that did opt for B450 over X570, will actually end up spending the same as if they had bought x570 in the first place if they do choose to go Zen 3.

The MSI Tomahawk Max B450 was around £90, whilst the X570 Aorus Elite was around £180 (when I was buying a few months back)

Those with the B450 boards can just spend another £90 on a B550 (assuming this will be around the price) and the net result will be the same as if they bought the doubly expensive X570 first time round.

Associate
Ah well guess I won’t be using my ch6, tbh I went from a 1600x to 2700x and stopped there. Skipped 3xxx and might skip 4xxx as well if the improvements are not huge.

Its a disappointment not to have the option on my x370 but I would be very annoyed if I had brought an X470/b450 last year with a 3xxx. If I remember correctly amd had issues with the small rom size on most x370/b350 when they released 3xxx so they knew then that the 4xxx would have even bigger issues.

Permabanned
To say people cheaped out by buying 4XX chipset is elitist.

:S

That's like me saying you cheaped out buying a 3600 CPU
I did but that’s because I don’t need more, but if zen3 is worthwhile I’ll upgrade to that. That was always the plan. Like I said it may pay off for me if not no big deal I’ll wait until after DDR5 and decide what suits my needs for my budget at the time.

Look I’m not trying to annoy people or come across as elitist I’m far from elitist but that would be for me to know. I just happened to have made the right choice this time,I’ve made plenty of mistakes in the past so it balances out.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a segment in the Tech Deals stream regarding an email he had with someone at AMD. The short answer is that they could make it work on some 300 / 400 series boards but are going to drop support to prevent confusion with boards that don't support it causing bad PR.

They discuss it at about 1 hour and again at 1 hour 50 mins.

I would recommend everyone at least watches from 1 hour 11 mins to 1 hour 16 mins. He's recieved info from someone reasonably high up in AMD.

TLDW: We got screwed over by 300/400 series boards not have having a minimum bios memory size (AMD were not really in the position to make demands). Some motherboards being refreshed with a more bios memory actually contibutes to the issue. Where do you draw the line to avoid confusing Joe blogs, who for example bought a standard b450 tomahawk but actually needed the max version to run Zen 3? AMD wants to draw a clear line that anyone regardless of how knowledable they are on computer parts can see where the line is.

I do actually understand why they've done this. Still ****** that B550 is so damn late though. Hopefully they let motherboard manufactures at least release a beta bios for people in the know to download.

Caporegime
You did read that right?? It will only work in B550 and X570 motherboads. Full blown Intel tactics if true - actually worse as Intel NEVER blocked the Core i7 4790K and Core i7 7700K from earlier motherboards.

I also think that if someone needs Zen3 now and is on an old CPU,they should just skip the 500 series motherboards. Who knows if AMD will release an X670 and B650 and say 500 series motherboards have some limitations.

Matisse 2? no that's just a refresh... if that's happening it may be later next month, Zen 3 is probably not before November / December, perhaps even January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom