Youtube & Ads

Soldato
Anyone else getting stupidly long ads, ie: several minutes with no skip now?

Even with Brave browser which used to filter them out I'm now getting these? It's basically making Youtube unusable.

What new plugin am i missing to block this crap? :)
Sign up to YouTube premium using a VPN to India, works out to £1.30 a month instead of the £12 a month they charge in the UK.

Soldato
Sorted - thanks peeps. :)

What's with such long unskippable ads though? It seems like a good way to put people off using the platform at all?

Soldato
Anyone else getting stupidly long ads, ie: several minutes with no skip now?

Even with Brave browser which used to filter them out I'm now getting these? It's basically making Youtube unusable.

What new plugin am i missing to block this crap? :)

I don’t watch YT on PC anymore because of this. Watching YT on an iPad means that I only get the occasional add at the start which I can skip after 5 seconds.

It's a game of cat and mouse.

uBlock (Firefox) here. Back in late March / early April, there were a couple of weeks when YouTube started serving ads again. 2 pre-roll ads, a "click here to play Fortnight" ad, then 2 mid-roll ads during the video. There would be like 5 or 6 minutes of ads in a half hour video. On top of that, some of the channels are affiliates with them running ads inside of their own videos e.g. Audible. I was having none of that! Thankfully, uBlock finally caught up again in mid-April without me having to add or change any filters. It just caught up by itself.

Soldato
uBlock Origin + Chrome, haven't seen an advert on YouTube for years. Also added my own rule to eliminate those irritating things at the end of a video where they put up four more videos 'you might like' over the video you're watching.

Soldato
Malevolence, is that something you did in uBlock, to eliminate the 4 curated videos?

Yep, I believe this is the code to add under the 'My Filters' tab.

Code:
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-covering-overlay
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element-shadow
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-covering-image
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-expanding-image
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element.ytp-ce-video.ytp-ce-element-show
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element.ytp-ce-channel.ytp-ce-channel-this
youtube.com##.ytp-cards-teaser
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element

Soldato
Sign up to YouTube premium using a VPN to India, works out to £1.30 a month instead of the £12 a month they charge in the UK.
Just done this myself, very impressed with the whole system. I have paid about £2.50 for the family subscription and also get the Google Music. Ive binned my family spotify at £15 for this £2.50 youtube premium sub.

Soldato
Just done the india vpn trick myself, very impressed with the whole system. I have paid about £2.50 for the family subscription and also get the Google Music. Ive binned my family spotify at £15 for this £2.50 youtube premium sub.

Only issue was when I first went into Youtube Music Premium it was recommending local indian playlists e.g. Bollywood. I have since transferred my playlists from Spotify, kick them off on a random shuffle for a few hours and now the algorithm has kicked in so its recommending me similar music much how Spotify used to. Very impressed for the £2.50 odd I am paying for a family subscription to Google Youtube Premium so I get both the youtube ad removals and downloads etc but then all the music stuff also.

Soldato
Dont get adverts on PC, but do on my phone, as i watch you tube while in bed.

Dont mind product adverts but i get too many adverts about making money working from home etc etc.

I consider them all scams tbh.

Ohh and random mobile phone games, why anyone plays them is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom