Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
Yup, I know about the shedding :( . My Bristish Shorthair (female) was great, even when she sat on my chest with a mouse in her teeth and dropped it when i woke up (it was alive and ran under my covers :( )...

Growing up in my family home we had 2 dogs and 6 cats (cats were a British Shorthair, Van and the rest tabby and then the 2 Golden Retrievers; it was insane, but I really enjoyed my time with them).

I will keep looking, but travel is imposssible for me, so need to find something somewhat close by (hopefully).
Any use to you?
https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-se...a0dPS1JtTFgtcXJkXzF0dk9HMk0wTA..#.XpUpcGnTX6A

Associate
Glad it was useful
Was after 4am so my brain was like mush lol surprised I didn't link to dogs or something :)
Insomnia is a pita:(

All good.

I was thinking again about the hair issue and I was wondering if you had a British Longhair rather than a British Shorthair as I don't remember there being any problems with my BS, though
the dogs etc were another matter (the dogs slept in my room most of the time).

Soldato
All good.

I was thinking again about the hair issue and I was wondering if you had a British Longhair rather than a British Shorthair as I don't remember there being any problems with my BS, though
the dogs etc were another matter (the dogs slept in my room most of the time).
Not had a British short or longhair so can't say from personal experience
But possibly the amount of shedding varies from individual cats
My last shorthair tabby shed very little
Yet my current one sheds a ridiculous amount
Daily brushing is about all that helps with him, luckily he loves being brushed

Associate
Not had a British short or longhair so can't say from personal experience
But possibly the amount of shedding varies from individual cats
My last shorthair tabby shed very little
Yet my current one sheds a ridiculous amount
Daily brushing is about all that helps with him, luckily he loves being brushed

I have thought about having a MaineCoon or two and they are fantastic in many ways, but just bothers me a bit about their heart
problems and as such they tend to live till they are around 12; also the long hair being a problem when they are using their king sized
litter tray, so they will need (imo) to have their nether regions shaved down a bit to help keep things free of those nasty bits. Otherwise
MC's are the greatest :)

Soldato
I have thought about having a MaineCoon or two and they are fantastic in many ways, but just bothers me a bit about their heart
problems and as such they tend to live till they are around 12; also the long hair being a problem when they are using their king sized
litter tray, so they will need (imo) to have their nether regions shaved down a bit to help keep things free of those nasty bits. Otherwise
MC's are the greatest :)
Never seen one personally
But from photos and videos they look pretty amazing
Not seen one with a shaved butt though lmao
I love bengals too but if you want a chilled out cat probably not a good choice
Any local rescue places near you?
Most of mine have been rescued cats

Associate
Never seen one personally
But from photos and videos they look pretty amazing
Not seen one with a shaved butt though lmao
I love bengals too but if you want a chilled out cat probably not a good choice
Any local rescue places near you?
Most of mine have been rescued cats

Any cat is a blessing (well almost).

ty

Man of Honour
Garfield was taken ill again at the weekend. Similar to last time a couple of months ago but not as bad. Woke up Sunday morning at 04.30 to find him being sick again. He was sick a few times up to 08.30 and was trying to poo but nothing coming out so thought he may be constipated. Phoned the vets at 09.00 and got a appointment for him for 30 minutes later. Took him up the vets and explained what was going on and she took him inside to examine while I sat in the car. She came out around 25 minutes later with a clipboard and said she would like to keep him in and put him on a drip and to run some tests (urine and blood). Got a phone call from them around tea time to recieve some heart breaking news. From her tests it seems that Garfield is in the final stage of kidney disease and his phosphorus levels are very high. She wanted to keep him in overnight to keep him on a drip to see if his levels dropped and to give the antibiotics a chance to get to work (has a secondary infection as well). I agreed and we finished the call after she said she would update me in the morning. Then I just fell apart and haven't really dealt with it since then. I am typing this with tears streaming down my face. Jade and Abby, my two female cats were very withdrawn and quiet with him not in the house so they knew something was wrong.

The vet was as good as her word and she phoned me again at 10 yesterday morning. His levels haven't come down much at all, just 0.06 ppm so they were still way above where they should be. Saying that, it turned out that he was bright and breezy and up and about so she said that there was no point in him staying in any longer as there was nothing else they could do for him. She said to take him home and enjoy the rest of our time with him as she couldn't say how long this will last. The next time he get's ill again is probably the time to say goodbye as I am not having him suffer despite loving him to bits and not wanting to lose him. He's so affectionate and a right character and he melted my heart from the very start. He's just gorgeous.

The vet suggested that we put him on some vets diet food that is low in phosphates so he is on Pro Plan vet diet for renal care wet food which looks and smells disgusting. When I gave him his first pouch yesterday he looked at it and walked off. The vet told me a little trick though that I had not considered before. She said that if a cat turns it's nose up to food then if you warm the food up a little in the microwave (30 seconds seems about right) then the cat will most likely eat it. This actually makes sense as he likes a bit of fresh baked fish while it's still warm and not gone cold. Anyway I tried it and he ate 3/4 of the pouch so it does work. I did the same thing this morning and he ate the lot and was looking for more. I need to try this with Jade when she is in one of her fussy moods.

So my time with my gorgeous baby, Garfield is coming to a end and I am heart broken. We have only had him since the end of November (his story is earlier on in this thread) and thought he would be with us for many more years. I felt that there had to be some underlying problem for him to keep getting ill but this is just devastating. Some will say he's just a cat but unless you have had a cat in your life they don't know what that means. A cat is a companion, friend and a much loved member of the family. They work their way into our hearts quickly and I love my three babies so very much. First we had Jade, a rescue cat at 18 months old (now 12 years old) who is your typical cat that mostly does her own thing and has cuddles on her own terms, normally when she wants something. Then came Abby at 12 weeks old (now 10 years old) who was again a rescue cat. This little furball turned into the most adorable loving cat. She wants cuddles all of the time and follows me around like a lost sheep, sleeps on the bad cuddled up with me. Then we took on Garfield at the end of November. We knew he was a affectionate cat as he had been coming around to our gardens for a couple of years but once we took him in he was like Abby but to another level. Sit down and he's on your lap. Go to bed and he's on your lap/chest or cuddled up. Doing some gardening and he's right there following me around. Working under the car and he's right next to me. He's just so damn gorgeous and I am going to lose him soon which just breaks my heart even though I know that when the time comes it will be the best thing to do for him. Sorry, can't write any more just now.

Soldato
im so saddened to hear about garfield i hope the wee kitty pulls through, i have been following his wee story and he is an awesome kitty :(

you have done the best you can for him, gave him a proper home, there was nothing you could have done, genuinely saddend by this news :(

you gave the wee kitty some much needed happiness in his final years when he needed it the most, massive kudos to you and im sure he appreciates it :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately there is no way for him to get over this as his kidneys are packing up. At the moment he is just like any other cat, demanding his human slaves to feed him, cuddle him etc but when he get's ill it's very sudden and he goes downhill fast. He ends up being sick and has the runs and ends up lying in a quiet out of the way corner of the house. The vets have pulled him through twice now but everytime his phosphate levels are higher and this time they were very high so very sadly he is near the end of his life. Looking at him right now you wouldn't think so as he is his normal happy self but when he get's ill he looks so pitiful. We can't go on with these cycles of being well then very ill and his kidneys are going to pack in anyway so the next time he get's poorly again the best thing for him is to say goodbye to my buddy and have him put to sleep. It's the kindest thing to do for him even though it's going to hurt me like crazy as I love him to bits. Everytime I think about it I just break down in tears, just like I am now. I was hoping that we would have many more years together.

Soldato
Associate
Thinking of adopting a rescue cat to give me a bit of extra company and a cat a loving home.

Lost my dog, Elvis, just under 2 years ago and it hit me a lot harder than i would have expected, it's funny how close you get.

Associate
Thinking of adopting a rescue cat to give me a bit of extra company and a cat a loving home.

Lost my dog, Elvis, just under 2 years ago and it hit me a lot harder than i would have expected, it's funny how close you get.

I grew up with 6 cats and 2 dogs, with all having their own unique personality and I loved them all (almost like family (ok they were family), even when the dogs stole my covers at night).
Special each and every one of them..

Associate
I grew up with 6 cats and 2 dogs, with all having their own unique personality and I loved them all (almost like family (ok they were family), even when the dogs stole my covers at night).
Special each and every one of them..

it's quite amazing how pets can have such diverse personalities.
If was wathcing netflix or something on the tablet in bed Elvis would shuffle his way under the cover up to the top roll over and watch it with me.

Associate
it's quite amazing how pets can have such diverse personalities.
If was wathcing netflix or something on the tablet in bed Elvis would shuffle his way under the cover up to the top roll over and watch it with me.

Both dogs and one cat (smokey, British Shorthair (blue)) would sleep in my room every night with the dogs trying to hog my bed, while my cat would normally sleep by my side unless she
wanted to gift me something (like a mouse) and sit on my chest purring until I woke up and then drop it :( .. I miss them all so badly..

Back
Top Bottom