The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
Thought I’d do a separate post on the Octomore discussion on the previous page(s).

First, I agree that in order to have a better knowledge of whisky it would be better to ‘try more’ than buy more expensive bottles, particularly those which are deemed to be ‘unusual’.

Secondly, I do not consider myself particularly experienced with whisky. I barely know anything! My preferences are finding ‘big obvious / recognisable differences’ that are transferable from bottle to bottle / brand to brand. Beyond that I tend to just think whether I like it or not rather than trying to dissect the taste into different tastes / notes. I have ventured beyond the supermarket. Here’s a photo of what I have polished off since lockdown.... they were mostly empty mind! :o

SZloXYZ.jpg

If this was cinema, then primarily I watch the screen with a bucket of popcorn for enjoyment and have some appreciation for the ‘artistry’, rather than there being an equal weighting between the two. Some ‘critics’ enjoy more unusual notes etc which I can appreciate but it’s a bit beyond me.

Thirdly, I do really like Octomore. There is something particularly pleasing about it to me, as if it’s an experience. Sounds daft but it’s true - I find myself having a ‘glow’ of intoxication and reoccurring tastes of peat in a pleasant manner. At present, I have only tried two bottles (the 6.1 and the 8.2) but not side by side so to my mind they both taste like ‘Octomore’. I find myself savouring it more and drinking less, possibly due to the high ABV.

I do like exploring and finding out my preferences, so by the end of the day I’ll have three different bottles of Octomore in my possession, each being casked differently or using a different grain, so I can explore the differences. Should be interesting (to me!) - I’ll share my initial thoughts. It’ll be a ‘narrow’ comparison as it’s comparing within a range but it is intriguing to me :)

Soldato
Experimentation is well worth it.
I highly recommend spending £40 on a load of samples from Master of Malt or Whiskey Exchange rather than buying a bottle you might not enjoy. Always try something new if you can rather than play safe.

My personal tastes are Irish or Speyside, bourbon cask. I tend to look at £60 a bottle or more as the entry level stuff didn't do much more for me any more.
Peat is fine but it does over power taste buds so those are left til last at tastings.
I avoid sherry cask, just can't get on with it. 50/50 is usually okay (Dalmore springs to mind).

Man of Honour
I highly recommend spending £40 on a load of samples from Master of Malt or Whiskey Exchange rather than buying a bottle you might not enjoy. Always try something new if you can rather than play safe.

My personal tastes are Irish or Speyside, bourbon cask. I tend to look at £60 a bottle or more as the entry level stuff didn't do much more for me any more.
Peat is fine but it does over power taste buds so those are left til last at tastings.
I avoid sherry cask, just can't get on with it. 50/50 is usually okay (Dalmore springs to mind).

Yup I decided that I might join a ‘dram club’ - the downside being I find it takes me a while to decide how much I like each one so I could end up having skewed views based on a single drink, but otherwise it’s a great idea.

Soldato
ok, what am I drinking: 20 questions to ID the whisky. I'll give yes/no answers only. Go.
Scottish?
yes.
The old classic, is it a Speyside?
yes.
Are you still drinking it?! (JK)
Was it something that is commonly available, ie supermarkets are likely to stock it?
yes.
@ik9000 - price range within £50?
yes (clairifcation as requested price <=£50)

Last edited:
Soldato
Having a look around it would be quite fun if a few of us opted to get a set like this and compare notes.

https://www.tastingcollection.com/en/whisky-tasting-collection-box-12-tubes.html

Bit more interesting but more expensive.

https://www.tastingcollection.com/e...ection-12-premium-whiskies-in-wooden-box.html

I don’t have any strong preferences so would go along with whatever everyone fancies!

how about drinks by the dram taste sets (eg from Master of Malt). I have a few sets in the cupboard from christmas presents. I'm banned from any unnecessary spending at the moment so it would let me join in :)

Man of Honour
I presume you mean it’s sub-£50 - that’s not a bonus question, just clarification :p

how about drinks by the dram taste sets (eg from Master of Malt). I have a few sets in the cupboard from christmas presents. I'm banned from any unnecessary spending at the moment so it would let me join in :)
Yeah sounds fun to me, got a link?

I think my only preference is to avoid ‘limited editions’ because the whole point of the tasting would be to get an idea of the distillery, so tastings of the ‘main offerings’ would be better rather than ‘wacky barrels’ etc :)

Could do multiple different sets to get everyone involved regardless of / to include all price ranges. If people are interested pipe up :)

Soldato

I think we'd find a lot of common ground. Have you tried the port finish Tomatin 14 or more pricey the Teaninich 17-year-old (1999)? Both excellent for that part of the taste chart.

Soldato
I think we'd find a lot of common ground. Have you tried the port finish Tomatin 14 or more pricey the Teaninich 17-year-old (1999)? Both excellent for that part of the taste chart.

I probably tried the Tomatin on the tour but nothing really stood out there. Mind you, we had been to Spey that morning and tried about 18 drams after the new make so we lost the afternoon for some reason....

I'm up for the taste selection at whatever price point of there isn't much sherry cask.

Soldato
ok, what am I drinking: 20 questions to ID the whisky. I'll give yes/no answers only. Go.
Scottish?
yes.
The old classic, is it a Speyside?
yes.
Are you still drinking it?! (JK)
Was it something that is commonly available, ie supermarkets are likely to stock it?
yes.
@ik9000 - price range within £50?
yes (clairifcation as requested price <=£50)
Sherry cask?
No. 15.

Soldato
Is that a yes or no to sherry cask?

Just finished off my Glen Moray cider cask project bottle. Really nice, hints of cider and prefect for hot weather. I don't usually drink whiskey in the summer but this one was prefect.

Back
Top Bottom