Next Gen HP VR Headset

Associate
Hmm so they are calling it "next gen" and "no compromises". Pretty tall order.

To me that would mean AT LEAST:

1. Oled panels.
2. 90 Hz or above.
3. 2160x2160 each eye or above.
4. RGB pixels.
5. External tracking.
6. 120 deg FOV or better.

I doubt it...
Well it certainly looks like it has inside out tracking and is reportedly 2160 X 2160 with rgb pixels so if the fov is as you say 120 or better I'm pretty much sold

Soldato
Having tried the Vive and the Rift, any VR tech I get in the future needs to be wireless, better resolution and a hell of a lot lighter and more comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Soldato
I'm trying to hold on to my CV1 until a serious upgrade in GPU power is available. (Big Navi/30xx series?)
SDE is really my only gripe at the moment and it's not "game breaking".

Soldato
I'm trying to hold on to my CV1 until a serious upgrade in GPU power is available. (Big Navi/30xx series?)
SDE is really my only gripe at the moment and it's not "game breaking".

Having gone from a CV1 to an Index, I tend to agree. It's noticable how much more demanding on the GPU an Index is compared to the CV1. I have a superclocked 1080ti, and it's running at full load most of the time, and some Steam games which ran acceptably on the CV1 don't run well on the Index without reduced resolution or the detail levels dialled down. Also native Oculus games don't always run well using the Revive software, even though they look far better on the Index due to the clarity and much reduced SDE. One other thing to consider is not all motion smoothing techniques are equal. Oclulus' Asynchronous Timewarp is far, far, better than the Steam equivalent, with minimal artefacts, which makes it possible to play demanding games on slower hardware. The Steam version causes horrendous visual artefacts in most games.

I'll be looking to upgrade from my 1080ti at some point, when there's a card actually worth upgrading to.

Associate
Ya I am very curious to see what they have come up with calling it the "ultimate VR headset".

Just looking at the image, it's inside-out tracking which already means it's failed in one aspect.

Soldato
I wouldn't consider that a failure at all, actually a preference.

Majority people don't want hassle of external sensors I would say.

My experience with tracking on the Index is it's actually not that better than Oculus' inside-out tracking, and the two lighthouse setup loses tracking MORE than my Rift CV1 three sensor setup which was pretty flawless.

However that's Oculus's inside-out tracking system, which is light years ahead of WMR.

Soldato
I just got an HP Reverb and its tracking works well. I just use it for seated sim racing though, so I don't know how well it keeps track of hand controllers.

Soldato
Ya I am very curious to see what they have come up with calling it the "ultimate VR headset".

Just looking at the image, it's inside-out tracking which already means it's failed in one aspect.

What image? The one on steam? I wouldn't be so sure as the Valve index has camera's in roughly the same place but they're only used for pass through.

Associate
I've tested almost every headset, inside out tracking isn't as good as outside in. Period.

Also inside out tracking requires a lit room, outside in doesn't. Big benefit for those that don't want bright lights on at night.

Soldato
I've tested almost every headset, inside out tracking isn't as good as outside in. Period.

Also inside out tracking requires a lit room, outside in doesn't. Big benefit for those that don't want bright lights on at night.

It's getting there though - I've had more tracking issues with my Index than with my Quest, and for the majority of applications the Quest's tracking is plenty good enough.

You can play in the dark using the Quest if you use an IR lamp. It's been suggested that future headsets may have an IR emitter so you don't need a well lit environment to track properly.

However, no-one has yet done inside out tracking as well as Oculus. WMR devices tracking is barely good enough, and the controllers eat batteries.

Soldato

I too have owned a few headsets, 4 sensor Rift, Original vive, Oculus Rift S. And you are right, in absolute terms inside out tracking isn't as good as outside in but, in actual everyday use there is little to no difference. And I play a lot of games that require fast movement, reaching behind your back and quick turns etc, Gorn, Echo Arena, Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight, BoneWorks are some examples. There is only one situation where I have noticed a difference and that's using scopes in Onward.

For the first couple of months, the Rift S had spotty tracking but it's almost perfect now. You really have to go out of your way to find the dead spots. Of course if it's inside out tracking done badly, then it's going to be worse. WMR tracking isn't very good. If WMR headsets are your only experience of inside out tracking then I can understand why you might think it's poor.

As for the lights on, I am just curious, why is this a problem? Surely if you are going to be putting on the headset how brightly lit the room is shouldn't be a problem? The Rift S works in dimly lit rooms. At night I play with only a small lamp as a light source and it still works perfectly.

Associate
I too have owned a few headsets, 4 sensor Rift, Original vive, Oculus Rift S. And you are right, in absolute terms inside out tracking isn't as good as outside in but, in actual everyday use there is little to no difference. And I play a lot of games that require fast movement, reaching behind your back and quick turns etc, Gorn, Echo Arena, Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight, BoneWorks are some examples. There is only one situation where I have noticed a difference and that's using scopes in Onward.

For the first couple of months, the Rift S had spotty tracking but it's almost perfect now. You really have to go out of your way to find the dead spots. Of course if it's inside out tracking done badly, then it's going to be worse. WMR tracking isn't very good. If WMR headsets are your only experience of inside out tracking then I can understand why you might think it's poor.

As for the lights on, I am just curious, why is this a problem? Surely if you are going to be putting on the headset how brightly lit the room is shouldn't be a problem? The Rift S works in dimly lit rooms. At night I play with only a small lamp as a light source and it still works perfectly.

Yeah the Rift S tracking is spot on these days anyone who says its not has a faulty unit

Back
Top Bottom