Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
just having a play around with a few hundred in trading 212 learning the ropes

look at @ivrytwr3 post above. can someone point out what i'm missing here,

ie checking hsbc holdings its currently at a buy of £3.6995 a share.

Man of Honour
After years of going back and forth in my mind and being a wimp, I finally took the first step (a baby step) in to the world of investments and opened an SSISA. Put a chunk of change in to a fund I liked the look of, a long term medium risk growth fund. As soon as I did it, I wanted to invest some more, I liked my adulting for the day, I have an addictive personality so hopefully this doesn’t end badly :D

Associate
just having a play around with a few hundred in trading 212 learning the ropes

look at @ivrytwr3 post above. can someone point out what i'm missing here,

ie checking hsbc holdings its currently at a buy of £3.6995 a share.

I think the answer to your question is that "Ordinary USD0.50" is part of the name of the share ie the price when originally issued. I assume that they do this to wind you up when they are worth 10,000 x that much.

Associate
Hey guys, I am a noob in that area. Is trading profitable? I heard that it's just a scam, nothing more.

Im currently up £1.59 on my oil investment. . . :p

my plan is to only put small amounts in as a means to save and hopefully have a bit of fun. i currently have £250.00 split over Aston martin and wisdom tree crude oil, if i make a couple of quid ill be happy, if i lose a couple of quid its no big deal.

Soldato
What's driven Zoom up 10% today? I see they are rolling out encryption to paid users, but they've still been ditched by many school boards and governments around the world, and as things start to open up more, there will be many that ditch it entirely.

EDIT: It's earnings results after the closing bell tomorrow. I'm expect a massive sell off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anyone thinking about a long term recovery investment in Rolls Royce currently trading at 286p - I would be looking to hold for 2 years?

I have RR and BAE. Think they will be LTH for me.

A side not on AML - I see more and more rumours of Toto Wolff leaving Merc F1. If he goes to Aston Martin F1 (Racing Point from 2021) then that would certainly help the share price.

I bought Liberty F1 in March FWONA and has served me well so far. Wish I'd bought more

Associate
Yep, I am taking a punt. I may live to regret it!

I read a few online articles and the S&P downrating to junk status hasn't put me off. If you can buy below £2.80 and then I think you should do OK. In the short term it could be a rollercoaster ride but long term looks brighter with lift from the travel industry returning back to economic activity.

Associate
I read a few online articles and the S&P downrating to junk status hasn't put me off. If you can buy below £2.80 and then I think you should do OK. In the short term it could be a rollercoaster ride but long term looks brighter with lift from the travel industry returning back to economic activity.

I think you're right. To be honest I bought them with the intention of 'forgetting' about them for the next 18 - 32 months.

Is anyone investing in the airlines?

Soldato
After years of going back and forth in my mind and being a wimp, I finally took the first step (a baby step) in to the world of investments and opened an SSISA. Put a chunk of change in to a fund I liked the look of, a long term medium risk growth fund. As soon as I did it, I wanted to invest some more, I liked my adulting for the day, I have an addictive personality so hopefully this doesn’t end badly :D

Just be careful about making trades because you want to make a trade and not because it's a good trade.

Soldato
Trump is a god send.

Still using virtual money on 212, just bust through £100k from the original £50k.

Today I just woke up and thought, no matter what happens today, Trump will make the civil unrest worse and Covid will be worsened by the unrest as well.

So I bet against the dollar in Euro, GBP and CAD.

In 6.5 hours I made 12.5k on the CAD and both the others are up by a few grand.

Caporegime
What's driven Zoom up 10% today? I see they are rolling out encryption to paid users, but they've still been ditched by many school boards and governments around the world, and as things start to open up more, there will be many that ditch it entirely.

EDIT: It's earnings results after the closing bell tomorrow. I'm expect a massive sell off.

Surely zoom is a flash in the pan?

Associate
Rolls Royce up over 5% already today, it will be interesting to see what the govenment announcement from Priti Patal regarding quarantine measures for airline passengers has on the share price, or has somebody had wind of it already.

Back
Top Bottom