Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Rolls Royce up over 5% already today, it will be interesting to see what the govenment announcement from Priti Patal regarding quarantine measures for airline passengers has on the share price, or has somebody had wind of it already.

It's been yoyoing for a long time.

It will climb in time, but it would be a long term hold for most.

Soldato
Rolls Royce up over 5% already today, it will be interesting to see what the govenment announcement from Priti Patal regarding quarantine measures for airline passengers has on the share price, or has somebody had wind of it already.

Someone will have had wind of this already. There are always 'off the record' conversations, with press and others, who most likely tell other people. I bet some big trading firms even have some on the the take for wind of such anouncements.

I used to work at an organisation that printed the budget, and the queens speeches (on goat skin parchment). I used to have to write about them but only at the very moment they finished speaking. Odd that the press seemed to know exactly what was in them before me.

Soldato
Back in Greggs...£10k...There’s going to be some (perhaps temporary) euphoria in a fortnight or two if the case rate continues to decline and they open up stores. Might be some short term weakness but scared money doesn’t make money!

Soldato
What's driven Zoom up 10% today? I see they are rolling out encryption to paid users, but they've still been ditched by many school boards and governments around the world, and as things start to open up more, there will be many that ditch it entirely.

EDIT: It's earnings results after the closing bell tomorrow. I'm expect a massive sell off.

I hope so .. I've been short since $150 and added since. Showing a pretty hefty loss at this stage, but the options premiums are crazy due to volatility .. so selling options against my position has been easing some of the pain!

Soldato
I hope so .. I've been short since $150 and added since. Showing a pretty hefty loss at this stage, but the options premiums are crazy due to volatility .. so selling options against my position has been easing some of the pain!

Apparently they are also expecting record Q2 earnings. Now is that already priced in, or are we expecting more rises? It's a difficult one.

Soldato
Every day the stock market rises is another day i'm confused at how disconnected it is.

Its fairly accurate reflection of inflation. Have some involvement with gold if you believe pricing is inaccurate on stocks or lots of things.

Don't hold any shares after been burned many years ago! But am thinking this may be a good time to buy? Any thoughts on these 2 i am looking at:

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/b/bp-plc-ordinary-us$0.25
Ordinary US$0.25

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/hsbc-holdings-plc-ordinary-usd0.50
Ordinary USD0.50

Hold the FTSE as they are both in there. The costs will be lower and the general ease of cashing in and out is far higher.

Soldato
They must be starting to price in this is the end of covid.

Its pain bizarre

Yep. End of harsh covid lockdowns but the start of many businesses returning to find they are unsustainable in their previous form and unable to make the required adjustments on their reserves they have left.

My losses have disappeared and have fresh money to invest from a cash ISA that is taking a age to transfer. The pace of the bounce back is however making me reluctant to invest lump sums.

Caporegime
I've been in and out last few weeks.
But settled on an all in to aviva.

I think average I got in at was 240.
Mainly in this one for the div. If it comes back like before it would be 12 percent return. Really 7 would be nice.

Wish I had more to put in, if we don't get a second wave the best buying opportunity is gone.
If we do, all bets are off

Caporegime
I wanna buy shares.

Not much, a few hundred quid to hold on to for a while. What's the cheapest way to do this? I see all sorts of fees all over the place, and given I'm just buying to hold, I don't want a monthly cost tied to it.

Caporegime
I wanna buy shares.

Not much, a few hundred quid to hold on to for a while. What's the cheapest way to do this? I see all sorts of fees all over the place, and given I'm just buying to hold, I don't want a monthly cost tied to it.

I struggled to make any head way with anything less that 1000 per trade

Fees in (flat fee)
Fees out (flat fee)
Spread loss on both buy and sell
No hold cost

It became clear I needed 10 percent increase to make anything and it wasn't worth it.

Even 500 pounds was tough.

I'm not joking when I say buying lego was/is better at values like 500 or less as can almost guarantee an increase
A few sets have doubled in less than 2 years
That's very very rare in stock market in normal times. However these aren't normal times

I don't know many platforms, just my experience.

Caporegime
First question would be why as well, which may help.

Just to buy something to test the waters and see how this all works, I don't even have an ISA :/

EDIT: Sorry, not answering questions properly. I have no intention of becoming a day trader or some whizzkid, I just want to slowly build up a portfolio over the years. Maybe sell the odd share here or there but that's it.

I want to start with Piaggio, they own a few scooter brands and have a massive market share. I suspect these are going to sell more and more in these post-Corona times, which their share price from March seems to be realising already.

Caporegime
I struggled to make any head way with anything less that 1000 per trade

Fees in (flat fee)
Fees out (flat fee)
Spread loss on both buy and sell
No hold cost

It became clear I needed 10 percent increase to make anything and it wasn't worth it.

Even 500 pounds was tough.

I'm not joking when I say buying lego was/is better at values like 500 or less as can almost guarantee an increase
A few sets have doubled in less than 2 years
That's very very rare in stock market in normal times. However these aren't normal times

I don't know many platforms, just my experience.

Yeah this is why I'm apprehensive, this industry seems to be dripping in fees for some reason.

Soldato
@englishpremier

tui made a massive bounce back on opening

reclaim your shirt now

just wiped out my £160 loss in 10 minutes

Yep had and order set up and woke up to a small but nice profit.

Aston Martin looking good still, AGM in 30 mins. Bought in on Friday with an average of 0.55.

I didn't get in, but this was a good call. Up 9% so far.

Back
Top Bottom