• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Maybe for ultra settings but there are just too many people still on lesser spec for them to push too hard - even with next generation consoles in the picture.
Yep. 2022 Ultra settings.

That’s why I only went 16gb last year. Only handful of games will need 32gb by the time I am ready to buy again was my thinking. Only game I recon that I will need it for is Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Keep in mind I do not leave browsers or anything at all running when playing which helps.

I recon in 2022 I will go for a 4900X on the cheap with 32GB of 4000MHz RAM. Then pass my Ryzen 3600 and 16gb RAM down.

Soldato
I recon on pc 32gb will be the new 16gb for ram and for gfx cards the new 8gb will be 16gb vram. This will be on Nvidia’s 4000 series and whatever AMD’s nvidia killer is at the time.

I'm not sure if system RAM requirements will change but I definitely expect the VRAM requirements will go up a lot this next generation. I expect high end gaming GPU's will ship with 24gb to 32gb of VRAM within 2 years.

Soldato
64gb of ddr5... Not going to be friendly on the wallet.

Don't forget though the majority of PC gamers don't even have 16gb ram and are on pre pascal GPUs so I doubt Devs would set the bar to high and lock out a large percentage of potential customers.

Maybe for ultra settings but there are just too many people still on lesser spec for them to push too hard - even with next generation consoles in the picture.

Technically a 2080ti isn't friendly on the wallet but that doesn't stop people;)
The people on the bottom end will simply be forcefully moved up to 16GB, or switching to console, to play certain games unfortunately.

Caporegime
From my vague understanding of how windows works, in regards to accessing data from storage as well as the unpredictability for game developers knowing what hardware a user has, I suspect memory requirements for PC will increase significantly once developers start push these new consoles (around 2022). I think we will see gaming systems with 64GB of RAM and 24GB of VRAM to ensure 0 memory bottle necks, once this happens.

I highly doubt that 64GB RAM will become "standard" in 2022... 32GB will be the recommended. More important will be the SSD speeds that can be used to seamlessly page and stream data for the games as that is going to be one of the biggest impacts with next-gen consoles. 24GB VRAM would also be high even for 4k resolutions.

Soldato
Moores law is dead is still claiming that GA102 is the rtx3080 - Nvidia knows amd is coming back strong so the 3080 gets bumped up a notch. He's also claiming that the 3080ti is 60% faster than the 2080ti

Technically a 2080ti isn't friendly on the wallet but that doesn't stop people;)

It stopped me.

I just refused to pay that much.
And the same will go for Ampere or RDNA2.

The mark of a good PC enthusiast in my humble opinion isn't about spending big and going top of the line.
It's about building capable PCs, choosing your parts carefully while spending the least amount of money to achieve that goal.

Soldato
I highly doubt that 64GB RAM will become "standard" in 2022... 32GB will be the recommended. More important will be the SSD speeds that can be used to seamlessly page and stream data for the games as that is going to be one of the biggest impacts with next-gen consoles. 24GB VRAM would also be high even for 4k resolutions.
The key part of my post was the "0 bottle necks bit". I think 32 GB might be enough for people who close eveything down (probably pushing 80+% in some AAA titles). But if you are the type to leave things open in the back ground i suspect that it will not be enough.

I can't see PC games introducing minimum SSD speeds in their specs list. Imagine buying a game and finding out you can't play it or you have stuttering and textures pop ins because you don't have a PCIE 4 NVME drive.

I anticipate that developers will just load everything into RAM to compensate and call it a job well done.

Caporegime
The key part of my post was the "0 bottle necks bit". I think 32 GB might be enough for people who close eveything down (probably pushing 80+% in some AAA titles). But if you are the type to leave things open in the back ground i suspect that it will not be enough.

I can't see PC games introducing minimum SSD speeds in their specs list. Imagine buying a game and finding out you can't play it or you have stuttering and textures pop ins because you don't have a PCIE 4 NVME drive.

I anticipate that developers will just load everything into RAM to compensate and call it a job well done.
I didn't mean there would be SSD minimum specs, I meant that their performance will have a big impact as time goes on, mitigating the need for more RAM as speeds increase as there will be less need to move things to RAM as a middle-man.

"0 bottlenecks" is a subjective and nebulous thing due to technology limitations or even bad coding not making full use of hardware and only the really high-end gamers can aim for this.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The mark of a good PC enthusiast in my humble opinion isn't about spending big and going top of the line.
It's about building capable PCs, choosing your parts carefully while spending the least amount of money to achieve that goal.
I must be a proper PC enthusiast then :D

We should make our own thread for proper PC enthusiast’s, sorry @Kaapstad you are not allowed in :p:D

Soldato
no difference lololol you must have been using a h50 or h80. Custom watercooling blows the best air setup clean out of the water. Period.

480 rad and EK 2080ti block, made no difference to clocks attained on 2 different 2080ti's
was quieter, but that's it, I wouldn't recommend water cooling GPU's any more to anyone that doesn't already have a loop

your idea of "blows out of the water" may be different to mine but to say that I would want an actual difference in OC clocks to be attained

Back
Top Bottom