AMD launches B550 motherboards

Caporegime
Some people say the same thing about Gigabyte software, end of the day we all have different opinions, Asrock wise I would have no issues buying one of their boards.
Well, it's not 'just an opinion' if a well-respected and very anally detailed hardware review site tests all of the boards from all of the main brands every year and finds definitive evidence of Asrock BIOS being crap. It's evidence-based.

Soldato
Well, it's not 'just an opinion' if a well-respected and very anally detailed hardware review site tests all of the boards from all of the main brands every year and finds definitive evidence of Asrock BIOS being crap. It's evidence-based.

Don't read too much into that, Asrock have frequent updates like Asus and MSI so you could argue good support there rather then another brand that only updates once a year or so.

I don't take one site as hard fact, if you have been here awhile you know some say Asus has poor software like Gigabyte etc and avoid installing all the bloat crap, no manufacturer is perfect just like no review site etc is perfect.

I would not read too much into BIOS issues with Asrock( there are plenty of happy Asrock owners out there and here in the forums), anyway most new boards get BIOS updates due to bugs or new supported hardware etc , that goes for Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Asrock etc so end of the day you have to rely on your own personal experience and not others, for example if I took film critics has fact, then 90% of the films they recommend I would hate, I think you see my point, just rely on your own personal experience but remember somebody else may have a more positive or negative experience regardless of manufacturer in question.

Another point is every brand has a poor board or two in their range, that always happens.

I'll say Asrock has come a long way since they left Asus and no longer the budget brand they once was.

Off topic but I still miss Epox, I used to love their boards (great overclockers), I was always buying one :) .

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't read too much into that, Asrock have frequent updates like Asus and MSI so you could argue good support there rather then another brand that only updates once a year or so.

I don't take one site as hard fact, if you have been here awhile you know some say Asus has poor software like Gigabyte etc and avoid installing all the bloat crap, no manufacturer is perfect just like no review site etc is perfect.

I would not read too much into BIOS issues with Asrock( there are plenty of happy Asrock owners out there and here in the forums), anyway most new boards get BIOS updates due to bugs or new supported hardware etc , that goes for Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Asrock etc so end of the day you have to rely on your own personal experience and not others, for example if I took film critics has fact, then 90% of the films they recommend I would hate, I think you see my point, just rely on your own personal experience but remember somebody else may have a more positive or negative experience regardless of manufacturer in question.

Another point is every brand has a poor board or two in their range, that always happens.

I'll say Asrock has come a long way since they left Asus and no longer the budget brand they once was.

Off topic but I still miss Epox, I used to love their boards (great overclockers), I was always buying one :) .
Gamers Nexus is a well-known site that tests a large amount of motherboards on a very regular basis. They test hundreds per year according to a well-explained and consistent methodology and then publish those results for all to see and draw reasonable conclusions from those results. That's how scientific testing works.

If they look at hundreds per year and still think Asrock have a particularly poor BIOS compared to other motherboard manufacturers then I am well inclined to believe them. Their test results have directly influenced how major motherboard makers produce their future boards and they are in regular contact with them.

The fact I have to explain this to you and that you use movie critics of all things as a comparison, an area which is based almost purely on opinion and not even relevant to this discussion, shows a worrying lack of understanding of this concept. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Gamers Nexus is a well-known site that tests a large amount of motherboards on a very regular basis. They test hundreds per year according to a well-explained and consistent methodology and then publish those results for all to see and draw reasonable conclusions from those results. That's how scientific testing works.

If they look at hundreds per year and still think Asrock have a particularly poor BIOS compared to other motherboard manufacturers then I am well inclined to believe them. Their test results have directly influenced how major motherboard makers produce their future boards and they are in regular contact with them.

The fact I have to explain this to you and that you use movie critics of all things as a comparison, an area which is based almost purely on opinion and not even relevant to this discussion, shows a worrying lack of understanding of this concept. :p

Did I touch a nerve?.. If you believe they are 100% fact then again that is just your opinion, I guess you one of these guys that believe 100% everything you hear on the net, fact is there are a lot of happy Asrock owners out there ,you know I'm right.

By trying to turn this post or thread into an argument says it all. Btw I was probably gaming and using PCs etc before you was even born so don't need a lecture from you, something to think on.
Last point if Asrock was bad as you or that site thinks(Yes I know the site FYI) then nobody would buy their boards or have happy owners, also good sites like Anandtech etc don't report issues with Asrock BIOS so what does that tell you?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did I touch a nerve?.. If you believe they are 100% fact then again that is just your opinion, I guess you one of these guys that believe 100% everything you hear on the net, fact is there are a lot of happy Asrock owners out there ,you know I'm right.

By trying to turn this post or thread into an argument says it all. Btw I was probably gaming and using PCs etc before you was even born so don't need a lecture from you, something to think on.
Last point if Asrock was bad as you or that site thinks(Yes I know the site FYI) then nobody would buy their boards or have happy owners, also good sites like Anandtech etc don't report issues with Asrock BIOS so what does that tell you?
No you didn't touch a nerve, I am just point out your lack of logic in even trying to compare the situation to movie critics, which makes absolutely no sense. Ironically, you were the one who is getting defensive over criticism of Asrock's BIOS. I don't care and I don't own their products.

A lot of happy Asrock owners does not mean that Asrock do not have any BIOS issues. So anyway, lets agree to disagree as clearly you are speaking from your heart and I am speaking from my head. :)

Soldato
I actually like the look and specs of the Asus B550 E Gaming, 14+2 phases, they have to get the price at sweet spot, however being their top B550 board will probably be in the Gigabyte B550 Master range .

So basically the battle will be in the sub £200 range for best B550 motherboards, interesting battle ahead :) .

7 phases in parallel, not 14 phases for Asus . At that price the. B550 Elite or Pro and your sorted . 12 phases at 50amos if I recall. All direct . Though unlike Taichi and Master only dual m.2 slots and not triple

Soldato
No you didn't touch a nerve, I am just point out your lack of logic in even trying to compare the situation to movie critics, which makes absolutely no sense. Ironically, you were the one who is getting defensive over criticism of Asrock's BIOS. I don't care and I don't own their products.

A lot of happy Asrock owners does not mean that Asrock do not have any BIOS issues. So anyway, lets agree to disagree as clearly you are speaking from your heart and I am speaking from my head. :)

FYI I don't own Asrock product, Asus user here ;), but I know happy owners of Asrock boards,as to BIOS issues, name me one manufacturer that has none on all their boards, answer is they all have issues but none that are serious or can't be fixed by simple update that is my point, otherwise you would not get BIOS updates which is not only for new hardware support but to fix things. I"ll say some manufacturers like Asus as an example have good overclocking BIOS in general, anyway I think we will end this nice and polite :) .

Last edited:
Soldato
7 phases in parallel, not 14 phases for Asus . At that price the. B550 Elite or Pro and your sorted . 12 phases at 50amos if I recall. All direct . Though unlike Taichi and Master only dual m.2 slots and not triple

I took the 12+2 phases from their website, either way I look forward to seeing how it does.
When we see overclocking results and heat tests etc we should see the B550s that are doing great and built well, throw in price as well if you don't overclock and just want a board with good features etc so very soon we'll know either way.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
We’ll probably know closer to release, right now I’m waiting for the x570 itx boards to come back in stock, but that won’t be until the end of June, so depending on what the b550s look like, i might go for one of those.

Soldato
Does OCUK know the rough retail mark on these boards?

they started showing up on American sites and there is a french site for some listed also. They appear to be expensive.

starting price matches the low end X570 with top of the range appears to be even more expensive than X570 tomahawk, Aorus Elite etc.

so I think they are about the same price as X570 counter parts maybe $10 less...

doesn’t sound like a good investment if they are that close to X570. But there are also A520 boards :o.

some MSI B550 pricing in US. mATX board for $160. Ouchy!!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/amds-new-b550-motherboards-show-up-and-then-disappear-on-amazon/

Last edited:
Soldato
, it is 500MB/s vs 3000+MB/s. The performance difference between SATA and NvME SSD's is just... common knowledge?
I got 2 NVMe drives installed, I do transfer large files between the two. Sometimes large videos sometimes lots of 45mb photos. I have to say sustain speed is never the 3000MB/s. Especially on the smaller files there are more latency so having a fast SATA like 860 pro and nvme is barely noticeable.

yes nvme has high burst speed but it will drop off unless you are transferring 45GB files at a time.

Soldato
Does OCUK know the rough retail mark on these boards?

they started showing up on American sites and there is a french site for some listed also. They appear to be expensive.

starting price matches the low end X570 with top of the range appears to be even more expensive than X570 tomahawk, Aorus Elite etc.

so I think they are about the same price as X570 counter parts maybe $10 less...

doesn’t sound like a good investment if they are that close to X570. But there are also A520 boards :o.

some MSI B550 pricing in US. mATX board for $160. Ouchy!!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/amds-new-b550-motherboards-show-up-and-then-disappear-on-amazon/

It's all unknown at this time, all we do know is the obvious ie the pricing and reviews of the X570 boards, B550 wise I expect the high end boards to be near £280 or so, now the lower range we will just have to see how well pricing will be, they better not have them too high or will shoot themselves in the foot and consumers will jump over to the X570 range as the better buy. I'll keep X570 option open at this time until I know how well the B550 does in all areas including pricing.

Back
Top Bottom