• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
me? I’m just asking a question based on how much Sony hyped up the SSD and making out it was more important than a GPU.

The emphasis on the SSD was that it can make things that are not possible now, possible, and allow developers more freedom where they are currently most constrained. From the looks of it, no amount of GPU power currently available can make that Ratchet and Clank demo run from spinning rust.

Pet Northerner
Don
The emphasis on the SSD was that it can make things that are not possible now, possible, and allow developers more freedom where they are currently most constrained. From the looks of it, no amount of GPU power currently available can make that Ratchet and Clank demo run from spinning rust.

I think going forward for now, only the true PS5 exclusive games can take advantage of the SSD. As the devs need to account for the lowest common denominator - the PC user.

Soldato
Apart from Demon's Souls, the games I'm most interested in are coming to PC anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'll want to play Spidey 1.5 and HZD2 too, but I don't feel compelled to buy at launch.

I think going forward for now, only the true PS5 exclusive games can take advantage of the SSD. As the devs need to account for the lowest common denominator - the PC user.

Exactly, and I think we saw just that last night with R&C and HZD2. I'm sure Spidey will benefit as well.

Soldato

It will become a requirement for PC, well it already is with Star Citizen which is a great example of what's possible with an SSD vs HDD.

Soldato

Yeah, I'm very curious to see how this impacts PC games now that both the new Xbox and PS5 have SSD's as standard. You have to think that devs will be creating games with the assumption that assets/etc can be streamed in quickly off solid state storage rather than having to wait to fetch them from spinning rust when they hit the memory limit. I wonder if we'll see it cropping up in the PC spec requirements (min xxx Mb/s SSD )?

Pet Northerner
Don
Yeah, I'm very curious to see how this impacts PC games now that both the new Xbox and PS5 have SSD's as standard. You have to think that devs will be creating games with the assumption that assets/etc can be streamed in quickly off solid state storage rather than having to wait to fetch them from spinning rust when they hit the memory limit. I wonder if we'll see it cropping up in the PC requirements say (min xxx Mb/s SSD )?

IMO we need to start adding SSD speeds to minimum specs, not just drive space

Soldato
Have they actually announced that they will only be doing it in white? I cant see it personally. Especially when they initially showed a white controller and then showed the black one. Maybe the sides are just panels that you can just pull off and replace with whatever colour you like.
They didn't show a black controller, it was white. It appeared black due to back ground and how video was shot.

Caporegime
But this is the beginning of the end for discs, which is why they will release both versions, PS6 will certainly not have a disc drive 6 or 7 years from now.
Am I alone then in thinking that PS Store prices are insane?

Does everyone want to pay £60 per game with no 2nd hand market?

I guess everybody became millionaires overnight :p

Associate
Just watched the 4k videos and the games really do look impressive.
Looks like it's going to be a ps5 for me assuming the nvidia 3000 series and amd equivalent are going to be overpriced.

Soldato
I think the PS5 is rather stylish looking (especially the digital version), maybe the problem is it is over styled? Probably on the whole a VCR style design (Xbox One) is better due to wanting to blend in, but the PS5 is certainly not offensive looking. I'd be more concerned about the width of it (when not placed standing up) as may be too big for some peoples existing setup.

With regards to the event, I enjoyed the quick run through the games. Wasn't impressed to see Rockstar flog a game onto a third generation though. It is time to release GTA6 and this should be pretty epic on the PS5 and XSX once they've got to grips extracting all the performance from these consoles. I will happily wait another couple of years for this, if it is well polished.

Soldato
Am I alone then in thinking that PS Store prices are insane?

Does everyone want to pay £60 per game with no 2nd hand market?

I guess everybody became millionaires overnight :p
I only buy PS4 games when they are on sale. I've not paid full price for any game nor have I bought any games on disc.

I'll be getting the PS5 with disc drive though for my 4k blu ray movies.

Back
Top Bottom