If you could change an event in your life what would it be ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi all if you could change an even in your life what would it be and what would the consequences be ?

I would have made sure my sister failed her 11 plus. This would have mean`t she didn't get to go to grammar school and in all likelihood would have gone to the crappy secondary school i went to.

Secondly following this is 99% certain that she would not have done as well at school and wouldn't have had the grades to do A-levels and would not have been able to go into 6th form.

Thirdly this would have mean`t that she would have had to go to Boston College and probably have had to do something along the lines of nvq, gnvq etc which everyone looks down on.

Fourthly with less pressure on me and seeing that she can fail at things i would have been able to be more successful.

So as you can see I would not be denying my sister any opportunities just giving her crappy opportunities which lead to a dead end.

You're trash, no really you are complete trash.

Regardless, if she failed her 11+ and had to go to a "crappy secondary school" then she still would have been a success because she would have done well enough to go to 6th form then Uni. You can't stop people being a success

Caporegime
WTF is going on in here :D

OP: Many things I'd redo, not really relevant to this dumbass thread, but I can certainly think of something your mum probably regrets :D

Soldato
Leaving The Royal Navy

I joined up at 16, and left when I was 22. At the time (mid 90's) the cold war was coming to an end and the RN was downsizing, lots of people were getting made redundant and the good deployments to the far east, etc were getting cut back. There was a lot of negativity amongst the junior rates at the time, everyone was moaning about how **** the Navy was, it was a **** job, everyone thought we were scum, the pay was **** (as a 19 year old in 1996 I was on over £18,000 a year, that wasn't a **** wage at all!) etc, etc. So having just turned 17 by the time I joined my first ship I met a group of people who were pretty much negative to a fault about the job. So as time went on, and still only being pretty young, still getting all the **** jobs due to my age, I began to think they were right. My time in the Navy would just be scrubbing, cleaning and painting the ship, interspersed with 4 hours sat in the ships operations room looking at a radar screen. Then if I'd done the exams & courses and got promoted I'd get to stand around watching other people scrubbing, cleaning and painting the ship, interspersed with 4 hours sat in the ships operations room looking at a radar screen.
By the time the first few years had passed, I was getting good at my job (not the scrubbing & painting
s0208.gif
) radar operation, gunnery drills and the part of the job I started out hating the most, what we called seamanship evolutions, such as getting the ship alongside in port, anchoring, Replenishment At Sea. So as a 19/20 year old I was working with guys who were on their first ships who were older than me. There were plenty of guys in their late 20s joining who I knew more than, and I didn't twig on that I'd got years on them and had so much time to make a real career out of what I was doing.

Looking back I wasn't mature enough to look at the people who were the vocal know it all's, and did all the moaning (they were known as lower deck lawyers) and know that they were wrong. It was their mindset that was ****, not the Navy. If you put bog all effort in you could expect a career of painting, scrubbing and watching radar screens. If you put the effort in, looked to better yourself then it could turn out to be an amazing career. For instance there are career paths where if you train as a Clearance Diver you could be working with a NATO team, using deep sea submersibles, specializing in rescuing crews from submarines that have crashed under water. During the gulf war there was a multinational group of coalition divers that worked with sealions and dolphins that were used to detect mines or enemy divers while the big American aircraft carriers were in port.
I remember as we were leaving training, one of the Warrant Officers saying to our group, "When you get onboard your first ship do not listen to the ****ing lower deck lawyers!" He was a placid, really good humoured guy, but when said that, you could hear the venom & contempt in his voice. And he was right.

Now, I've got a great job, I'm pretty well paid, especially where I live, but looking back I wish I'd stayed in, remembered what that Warrant Officer had said, knuckled down and forged a career (and lifestyle) for myself, instead of jacking it in and spend the rest of my time doing lesser work. I'm not blaming anyone else for my failings, I let others poison the job for me, I could've ignored them and looked to better myself, but I didn't, and that's squarely on the younger me's shoulders (he was a dick).

Associate
I hope OP isn't real. Comes across like a right bitter weirdo. Who the hell joins a computer forum to wish misery on their sister?

Good grief!

Associate
OP
You're trash, no really you are complete trash.

Regardless, if she failed her 11+ and had to go to a "crappy secondary school" then she still would have been a success because she would have done well enough to go to 6th form then Uni. You can't stop people being a success

I`m not trash, i still think things would be different.

I hope OP isn't real. Comes across like a right bitter weirdo. Who the hell joins a computer forum to wish misery on their sister?

Good grief!

I`m aloud to join and say what i like.

Soldato

Good grief!

Haha as someone who suffers from a sister who makes my entire families life a living nightmare...I can reason with it.

Associate
Leaving The Royal Navy

I joined up at 16, and left when I was 22. At the time (mid 90's) the cold war was coming to an end and the RN was downsizing, lots of people were getting made redundant and the good deployments to the far east, etc were getting cut back. There was a lot of negativity amongst the junior rates at the time, everyone was moaning about how **** the Navy was, it was a **** job, everyone thought we were scum, the pay was **** (as a 19 year old in 1996 I was on over £18,000 a year, that wasn't a **** wage at all!) etc, etc.......................

That is a really interesting summary wordy. You get those demotivated people in every job. I remember those types and still come across them. I make a conscious effort to stay positive even on the bad days. It not only makes me enjoy my job more but also, hopefully, keeps everyone around me up beat

Soldato
Hi all if you could change an even in your life what would it be and what would the consequences be ?

I would have made sure my sister failed her 11 plus. This would have mean`t she didn't get to go to grammar school and in all likelihood would have gone to the crappy secondary school i went to.

Secondly following this is 99% certain that she would not have done as well at school and wouldn't have had the grades to do A-levels and would not have been able to go into 6th form.

Thirdly this would have mean`t that she would have had to go to Boston College and probably have had to do something along the lines of nvq, gnvq etc which everyone looks down on.

Fourthly with less pressure on me and seeing that she can fail at things i would have been able to be more successful.

So as you can see I would not be denying my sister any opportunities just giving her crappy opportunities which lead to a dead end.

I'm guessing that your attending a 'crappy secondary school' isn't the reason why you failed at life, I'm going to say it's more to do with you being a tad dim.

Soldato
So what you mean is you wish you had been given the same opportunities as your sister, because what you’re doing is whining because she got something you didn’t and you’re bitter about it, you got dealt a hand, deal with it, make something of your life or stfu..
Her success doesn’t create your failure, you do.

Soldato
I'd force the hospital staff to check on my wife when she was adamant she was having the baby and they said she wasn't and left her alone for hours. This probably causing my son to need ECMO and subsequently have a grade 4 intraparenchymal hemorrhage.

If I could change one thing it would be that.

Associate
I'd force the hospital staff to check on my wife when she was adamant she was having the baby and they said she wasn't and left her alone for hours. This probably causing my son to need ECMO and subsequently have a grade 4 intraparenchymal hemorrhage.

Wow. Now that is worthy of this thread. So sorry to hear that rob. I hope you and your family have managed to work through this as best you can

Soldato

That's ruff :(

Soldato
I have a few to be fair but telling my mum to go away (begins with f it's a sweary) in the car at 11 when I was being dropped off at primary school only to be pulled out of school a few hours later because she had died of an asthma attack is up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom