What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Highwaymen. About the hunt for Bonnie and Clyde. I think it's quite good. Nearly a very good film. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but then my rea room when my gf suggested we, watch it was "really? Name the last good Kevin Costner movie?!" so my expectations weren't through the roof!

Caporegime
Hereditary. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7784604/

Seen it a couple of times before, such a good and intense film. Disturbing and cleverly written.

When I look at Toni Collettes facial expressions, which were captured so well, I see a mixture of horror, sex appeal (which surprised me a little at times), and strangely - even humour.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hereditary. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7784604/

Seen it a couple of times before, such a good and intense film. Disturbing and cleverly written.

When I look at Toni Collettes facial expressions, which were captured so well, I see a mixture of horror, sex appeal (which surprised me a little at times), and strangely - even humour.
I went in to the cinema knowing nothing and came out thinking it was a masterpiece. Came straight back and gave it a 10/10 on here. Unfortunately as soon as you read that, then the hype will impact your perception of it and horror is basically completely destroyed by hype. I’m also 99% sure that the film emits a very low frequency the whole time to make you feel uneasy (just like they do in Irreversible).

I can’t think of any film that seems to have so many jarring plot turns and so much doubling down on “it surely can’t get any worse..... :eek:

Death in the family -> ghost? -> reveal of sustained family issues -> reveal of mental issues -> ghost communicating with girl? -> GIRL KILLED -> torturous grief -> family trauma -> communicating with the dead -> seance -> cult?! -> oh god oh god oh god -> saw saw saw saw -> HAIL PAIGMON!!

Bemusingly, there were only three people in the cinema when I watched it. When it finished, I was just say their in awe.... only for one person to walk by and say to me that it was the world film she had ever seen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Nitefly Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Almost too many moments to list about how the plot develops. :cool:

No pun intended, but a cut above the rest. :)

I think the climax ‘decapitation scene’ has got to be one of the most disturbing and shocking moments of any film - visually, the audio.... *creak* *creak* *creak* Toni’s hateful face staring with those eyes. Oh god it’s horrible!! Nightmare fuel!!

It’s also really clever on a rewatch that you hear the piano smash and then see the piano broken minutes before it happens... very cool to pick up things like that a second time.

Oh, and just to add to the hype, I have followed James Rolfe (the guy that does the Angry Video Game Nerd) for well over a decade. We both watch horror films all the time and I follow his horror reviews (all the monster madness stuff - he’s like a film expert) and after I saw it, he did a long time later... and well after I had my own views he declared it the most frightening film he’d ever seen, saying that nothing since a child had given him nightmares... surely the stamp of a true classic!! :cool:

The only other film that has frightened me as an adult is The Grudge (with Sarah Michelle Gellar of all people) - there is something deeply unpleasant about that film as well... and bizarrely James Rolfe also said it scared the crap out of him! Clearly the same things frighten us.

Then people come out and say things like Alien is the scariest film ever made and I’m like whaaaat.

Caporegime
Cheers, I'll check him out. Another channel for film reviews that I think is very good is Oliver Harper.

I believe I've started watching the Grudge before but for some reason, I didn't see all of it (might have been too late or something). I'll give it another go. :)

Man of Honour
Cheers, I'll check him out. Another channel for film reviews that I think is very good is Oliver Harper.

I believe I've started watching the Grudge before but for some reason, I didn't see all of it (might have been too late or something). I'll give it another go. :)
Well... it some ways it’s very dated. It’s not on the same level as Hereditary or anything like that and is hilariously shallow in comparison, with its super short run time. But, it nevertheless has an unusual, disorientating delivery of events and provides an unsettling vibe. The creepy imagery is just relentless... with one ultra successful “definitely safe” / “NOT SAFE” moment...

The ghost appearing in the reflection of the bus window.

Forgive its failings and it’s great.

There is also the Japanese original by the same director. It feels more like a companion piece. The Hollywood version feels like the best parts of the original fleshed out. The original feels more like an anthology, which is interesting because the slightly confusing structure of the Hollywood version is clearly the result of the way the original way made. The original also hints to a slightly different set of circumstances. Ultimately though, I think you’re better off sticking with the Hollywood version for the most effective, neatest and frightening ‘haunted house’ romp.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well... it some ways it’s very dated. It’s not on the same level as Hereditary or anything like that and is hilariously shallow in comparison, with its super short run time. But, it nevertheless has an unusual, disorientating delivery of events and provides an unsettling vibe. The creepy imagery is just relentless... with one ultra successful “definitely safe” / “NOT SAFE” moment...
The ghost appearing in the reflection of the bus window.
Forgive its failings and it’s great.

I'll give it another whirl; right now I'm watching The Silence. Pretty good so far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silence_(2019_film)

Caporegime
Ah I’ve heard mixed things about that - let me know how it goes.

I edited my earlier post to say more about the Grudge but TLDR version is - stick with the Hollywood version :)

Cheers, will do. As for The Silence, I've just finished it and can recommend it. Sure, it won't make the impact that something like Hereditary does, not even close, but for one-off viewing, it was worth it.

I don't tend to give film scores, however, if I was to give this a number I'd say something in the ball-park of a 6-7/10.

Now, for The Grudge. :D

Man of Honour
Cheers, will do. As for The Silence, I've just finished it and can recommend it. Sure, it won't make the impact that something like Hereditary does, not even close, but for one-off viewing, it was worth it.

I don't tend to give film scores, however, if I was to give this a number I'd say something in the ball-park of a 6-7/10.

Now, for The Grudge. :D
Wow were you on an all night film bender or something :eek: :p

Will try and check out the silence at the weeekend.

Associate
The simplicity of the ending is to it's strength in my opinion, it avoids Hollywood gung-ho guns blazing culminations and opts for a more soft ending which fits to the story and Kates journey.

You've also had a bit of mystery around the Sicario himself diminished by watching the sequel first (albeit accidentally) I feel. If you have a bit of time to kill...watch/read a few articles online about how Kate is actually the villain of the piece. :)

The cinematography is stunning...the scene where they descend into the mine is like something straight out of a chilling horror movie. The use of sound, especially when they cross over the border and return on the bridge unnerves me and makes me feel sick with anticipation, despite watching multiple times, again to the movies strength.

It does feature the holy trinity of director, cinematographer and composer...Denis Villeneuve, Roger Deakins and Jóhann Jóhannsson...shame we'll never see a collaboration like that again.

I really do like Sicario, I think it's a modern masterpiece, to me it's near perfect and it sits in my top 10 movies of all time, the sequel would just about scrape into a top 100 perhaps. The sequel while a decent stand alone movie doesn't add or improve anything on the first movie.

Have you watched the other movies in Taylor Sheridans Frontier trilogy...Hell Or High Water and Wind River?

Any certain pieces you recommend about Kate being the villain?

Back
Top Bottom