Devon vs Cornwall

Associate
OP
I’d choose Fowey because of its location. It’s near St Austell and Polperro, which are both amazing places to while away a summers day.

it’s also pretty close to Mevagissey, which is a nice tourist seaside town.

I google image'd those... They are tiny little villages. What does one do there, just wonder about?

Caporegime
I’d choose Fowey because of its location. It’s near St Austell and Polperro, which are both amazing places to while away a summers day.

it’s also pretty close to Mevagissey, which is a nice tourist seaside town.
Amazing as long as you stay around the coast and don't visit the smack head infested town. Having said that, if you need cheap shoes or a pasty, the town's got everything you'll ever need. Just watch out for those pesky smack heads.

Soldato
Yeah I've never heard anyone describe Mevagissey as a 'nice' town lol. My Ex's family were from that part but later moved to St Austel. Went there for her grandmothers party in some football/community centre thing. Place was a bit run down compared to St Austel.

Caporegime
Yeah I've never heard anyone describe Mevagissey as a 'nice' town lol. My Ex's family were from that part but later moved to St Austel. Went there for her grandmothers party in some football/community centre thing. Place was a bit run down compared to St Austel.
Meva's lovely, I was referring to my home town St Austell :p

Lovely beaches, lovely pubs, just don't go in the town centre or you'll be stabbed in the face and asked for drugs or offered drugs then stabbed in the face.

Soldato
Meva's lovely, I was referring to my home town St Austell :p

I found it the opposite haha. They lived near the Holmbush and I always thought that area was quite nice! Can't remember the town being much but was always nice to stroll down to Charlestown and there were some lovely walks or opportunities to get the kayaks out. I can't remember exactly where it was but we went to a restaurant on the beach - I can't remember who the chef was - but had probably the best ever hot chocolate from there!

When we went to Mevagissey they were a bit embarrassed of the area as it seemed a bit rundown! Granted this was about 6-7 years ago now

Caporegime
I think personally though, that for the best of Cornwall, you need to go further south and west coast. Places like St Ives, Perranporth, even Newquay’s very nice imo, regardless of the rowdy reputation.

I enjoyed Penzance too.

Associate
OP
Amazing as long as you stay around the coast and don't visit the smack head infested town. Having said that, if you need cheap shoes or a pasty, the town's got everything you'll ever need. Just watch out for those pesky smack heads.

By 'stay round the coast' do you mean wonder around Porthpean Beach and Duporth beach rather than the actual down centre?

Caporegime
I found it the opposite haha. They lived near the Holmbush and I always thought that area was quite nice! Can't remember the town being much but was always nice to stroll down to Charlestown and there were some lovely walks or opportunities to get the kayaks out. I can't remember exactly where it was but we went to a restaurant on the beach - I can't remember who the chef was - but had probably the best ever hot chocolate from there!

When we went to Mevagissey they were a bit embarrassed of the area as it seemed a bit rundown! Granted this was about 6-7 years ago now
It was on a BBC TV series recently about the Cornish fishing industry, and it has had investment over recent years, and looks all the better for it. I was there about five years again and it was still very nice then imo.

Soldato
God I can't remember where it was but I had one hell of a burger from somewhere in Cornwall... It's like a famous Cornish chain. Going to annoy me now

Looking at my iCloud reminded me it was Sam's Cafe in Bodmin. I also think it was Sam's on the beach that I had the hot chocolate at.

Caporegime
I like quite historical stuff and I went to two amazing places when I was last there. A brilliant maritime museum in Falmouth and a very strange but brilliant indoor mock Victorian town centre with streets and shops and more. The place was called Flambards.

Caporegime
By 'stay round the coast' do you mean wonder around Porthpean Beach and Duporth beach rather than the actual down centre?
Yes. Literally anywhere immediately out of the town centre and you'll be fine.

Fowey's a good 15 to 20 minutes away from the town centre and is a lovely little picturesque village.

God I can't remember where it was but I had one hell of a burger from somewhere in Cornwall... It's like a famous Cornish chain. Going to annoy me now

Looking at my iCloud reminded me it was Sam's Cafe in Bodmin. I also think it was Sam's on the beach that I had the hot chocolate at.
Never been but heard very good things about their cafe at Carlyon Bay as well.

Associate
OP
Sidmouth/Devon:

+ 1h less driving (results in more time at location plus less tired)
+ Outdoor pool
+ Indoor pool/Gym may open by end of July
+ Room has a balcony
+ Close to town - more amenities
+ Bigger hotel, therefore more spacious and bigger bedroom
+ Nice long walk near by without needing car (across the front of the beach - 'SW Coast Path')

Fowey/Cornwall

+ You guys have all said its better!
+ Maybe better views from room as its on a cliff edge
+ Near the edan project and a bunch of other nice villages you have all mentioned
+ Its on a harbour/end of a river so all the boats may look really nice on the water
+ Nice coves near by to visit

- Further by 1 hour
- boutique hotel - smaller bedroom ect
- Not close to town - less amenities
- May have to use the car every time to visit the coves/other beaches/villages ie not much near the hotel itself
- No pool or gym
- No balcony room option
- £20 more due to parking charges

Back
Top Bottom