Devon vs Cornwall

Soldato
Perranporth's lovely. Personally I love Newquay in the summer!
Newquay is great but best before and after the main summer madness ,so many beaches facing all directions and great walks,always worth having a national trust pass for Crantock and Hollywell ,i park up at Hollywell and wander to Perranporth sometimes
pic is from top of Polly joke beach

IMG-20200613-115754.jpg

Underboss
Heathen, strike him down for he has forsaken the glory of our lord and saviour the devonshire cream tea.

Another one for the ignore list

Soldato
Wow, you are literally the worst person in the world.

I will fight you on the beaches of my beloved Instow on this issue :p

Come at me bro! :D

I had my supper last night and can confirm that you are wrong. The Cornish way is the correct way.

r71WzG0h.jpg

Yes! This is what winning looks like.

Heathen, strike him down for he has forsaken the glory of our lord and saviour the devonshire cream tea.

Another one for the ignore list

How dare you, heretic! :mad:

Permabanned
Yikes, do you live next door to my mum? I'll probably be on that beach in a couple of weeks.

I don't live there (though my brother does!), but have been visiting it for the best part of 20-odd years. I'm still not over The Boathouse changing hands. I miss Bob :(

I had my supper last night and can confirm that you are wrong. The Cornish way is the correct way.

r71WzG0h.jpg

Please seek help from your doctor for your bad case of brainworms, friend :)

Associate
OP
Closer drive too ;) which gives you more time away.

Wow that looks beautiful. My poor mum has broken her foot and is walking with a cast/wheelchair. Want to take her for a day out. Looks like I could go here, park the car in that car park and wheel her down to the shore on a wheelchair right?

I live in Wolverhampton so Wales is not to far from me.

Edit: its still almost 4 hours!

Associate
OP
If the weather's nice, how long would you realistically spend in your room looking out to sea? I'd save the money.

Cheapest room and 3 nights deffo.

Thanks to both of you. We had initially booked the more expensive room for 2 nights. But have now changed it to 3 nights and the cheaper room. I guess if its nice weather we can always sit in the beer garden or in the bar looking out rather than the bedroom. Thats assuming you dont have to 'book a seat' everywhere in the hotel which seems likely with all this covid measures in place.

I’m from Fowey! (waves).

The Harbour Hotel was recently bought out and renovated. No idea what the rooms are like but it’s meant to have been well done.

It’s a lovely little town. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll do my best to answer.

The original Sam’s restaurant is in Fowey, then the Sam’s empire had grown over time. The burgers are incredible — definitely worth having dinner in Sam‘a one evening but beware you can’t book.

Hotel told me parking is £10 per day. Or the next closest car park is an 11 min walk and more expensive! Apparently the hotel is in the middle of no where with hardly any parkin. Which seems about right looking on google maps. Any local knowlidge or free/cheap car park near by would be helpful. Not sure how well you know those specific roads.

When its closer to my trip date I will message you on here for more tips on walks, food, best locations etc if you dont mind :)

nah not me its a couple i subscribe to ,i could easily spend 3 days ,Polperro and Looe ,nice long walk but you could do all these in one day and one day just chilling in fowey so personal choice really

You mean you follow them on youtube? Why? For ideas on walks? The route that your suggeting, is it a common one? I tend to get lost quickly so hopefully some of these walks that everyone is recommening are popular local trails and the hotel has some maps for me!

Associate
OP
The Hall Walk is great.

I’d also look at doing the coastal path the other way (south) towards Polkerris, then Par and beyond. There’s some decent sea views across St. Austell bay, some lovely secluded beaches and Polkerris has ‘Sam’s on the Beach’ and a decent pub.

You can do Fowey town in half a day if you don’t hang about. Then you could do the Hall Walk in the afternoon. Day 2 could be the coastal path as above. Then day 3 you have options:

• The Eden Project is great if you’ve never been. A lot of it is outside so don’t go if it’s raining.
  • You could get the ferry to Mevagissey if you like being on the water (although Meva is just like a small Fowey).
  • There’s the Lost Gardens of Heligan (also good).
  • Lostwithiel, Looe and Polperro could be done in a day by car.
Loads of choices!

Is this a popular walk? Think the hotel may have a map for me?

I assume Fowey town itself is just, well, a town!? Nothing in particular to see, just a place to wonder around and grab groceries?

We now have a late afternoon, two full days and a morning and afternoon timing wise. Will be pretty tired after the 4.5-5 hour drive up and back so on day 1 and 4 we will have to stick to the local stuff near the hotel that does not require driving and on day 2 and 3 drive out and do the rest.

Eden Project - Have to book in advance now as per website so cant avoid rain. I thought it was mostly inside hence the big domes?! Do they have air con? Surly on a hot day it will be like a greenhouse?!!!

Ferry would be fun - Just for the sake of it :)

Lost Gardens of Heligan looks like the same kind of thing as Eden project? Would you do both?

Associate
Eden Project - Have to book in advance now as per website so cant avoid rain. I thought it was mostly inside hence the big domes?! Do they have air con? Surly on a hot day it will be like a greenhouse?!!!

Lost Gardens of Heligan looks like the same kind of thing as Eden project? Would you do both?
Each of the biomes are climate controlled for the plants within them, it's fairly warm inside but the outdoor weather won't make a difference to how it feels going around the interior.

Worth noting that Eden might get booked quite fast as the biomes are opening for the first time since March next month.

The Lost Gardens and Eden are same in the sense that you walk around looking at plants... other than the Lost Gardens not having the biomes, the main difference will be in the types of plants they have no show.
Glendurgan is another good garden to explore if you enjoy looking at plants, plus it has a small private beach at the end where you can chill and watch the sea for a bit.

Associate
Wow that looks beautiful. My poor mum has broken her foot and is walking with a cast/wheelchair. Want to take her for a day out. Looks like I could go here, park the car in that car park and wheel her down to the shore on a wheelchair right?

I live in Wolverhampton so Wales is not to far from me.

Edit: its still almost 4 hours!

You sure could, this place is called Newgale I camped there for 2 weeks last year and dropped very lucky with weather.
Even has a pub next to the camp site :)

Associate
OP
Each of the biomes are climate controlled for the plants within them, it's fairly warm inside but the outdoor weather won't make a difference to how it feels going around the interior.

Worth noting that Eden might get booked quite fast as the biomes are opening for the first time since March next month.

The Lost Gardens and Eden are same in the sense that you walk around looking at plants... other than the Lost Gardens not having the biomes, the main difference will be in the types of plants they have no show.
Glendurgan is another good garden to explore if you enjoy looking at plants, plus it has a small private beach at the end where you can chill and watch the sea for a bit.

Thanks for the info. I think one garden/plant attraction will be enough! So based on what you have said and if I can get the tickets.... Maybe Eden is my best bet seen as its so famous and iv driven so far down there.

Assuming you have been, how long does it need? A full day or 3-4 hours?

Associate
OP
You sure could, this place is called Newgale I camped there for 2 weeks last year and dropped very lucky with weather.
Even has a pub next to the camp site :)

Judging by the beach pics on the news yesterday it seems that this summer all these places will be RAMMED with a million people. Maybe will try and fit it in on a week day in a few months near the end of summer once everyone else has been and got it out of their system!

Associate
Judging by the beach pics on the news yesterday it seems that this summer all these places will be RAMMED with a million people. Maybe will try and fit it in on a week day in a few months near the end of summer once everyone else has been and got it out of their system!

If you get the weather you will love it, just like cornwall but a lot less commercial and coast walks every where.
That beach is 4 miles long so it never seems that busy.

Associate
OP
If you get the weather you will love it, just like cornwall but a lot less commercial and coast walks every where.
That beach is 4 miles long so it never seems that busy.

Wow thank you for that. We love walking so this sounds perfect!!! And from the pic I can see nice car park too. Thanks again! Will defo add this to my to do list!

Its too far for a day trip I think so will go some time this summer and book a cheap b&b for an overnight stay.

Back
Top Bottom