Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
Over the last month or so we've seen restrictions ease but also fewer and fewer people following the restrictions still in place - we've seen packed beaches, VE day parties, protests & counter protests and of course Dominic Cummings taking his family on a day out for his wife's birthday and there's been no consequences. Of course more and more people are going to ignore social distancing and it's why we saw beaches packed again this last week and supporters out celebrating.
This it the one time when the sensible ones of us want 40 days of constant rain and a wash out summer to keep all the idiots indoors and keep the virus at bay, general day to day people seem to keep their distance and follow the rules, it just seems to go out the window when they go down the beach

Don
Yes, this is clearly a football problem. It's not as if beaches haven't been left covered in litter and town centres across the country aren't typically trashed every Friday and Saturday night. And no, that's not to say it's acceptable but it's a wider society problem, not something unique or linked specifically to football - too many people lack respect and decency.

Don
I'm not going to pretend other city's/fans wouldn't behave much differently, but it is awful behaviour and enforcement by police was a joke.
It's nothing to do with fans. Look at the reports of record amounts of rubbish left at Brighton beach yesterday. God knows what we'll see across the country the morning after the pubs finally open again.

Man of Honour
OP
Deplorable scenes, especially the moron with the fireworks and people filming and cheering him on. They should have stopped him. Then again if they’re out partying in a pandemic then they clearly aren’t very bright.

The idiots at the beaches are no better.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, people in general are inconsiderate scumbags. Plenty of people are wilfully nasty as well. Leaving their rubbish on the floor next to their car instead of taking it to the empty bin 6 foot away. Those people should just be shot.

Soldato
It's nothing to do with fans. Look at the reports of record amounts of rubbish left at Brighton beach yesterday. God knows what we'll see across the country the morning after the pubs finally open again.
Which I would accept, however I was in the city when Real Madrid beat Liverpool the city was in the same state then. It has everything to do with fans, not the majority granted but still Liverpool fans.

Even with your Liverpool blinkered glasses on you have to admit it. If you were being hyper critical Liverpool players celebrating together on film was probably a contributing as well.

Don
Which I would accept, however I was in the city when Real Madrid beat Liverpool the city was in the same state then. It has everything to do with fans, not the majority granted but still Liverpool fans.

Even with your Liverpool blinkered glasses on you have to admit it. If you were being hyper critical Liverpool players celebrating together on film was probably a contributing as well.
You've completely missed the point I was making. Yes, in this particular instance it is Liverpool fans that are ignoring social distancing and leaving trash everywhere but it's not a football/football fan issue - it's a wider society issue. Go out in London on a Friday night and you'll see trash dumped everywhere, go down Brighton beach and you'll see trash left everywhere, go to a music festival or carnival and you'll see trash left everywhere. Are Liverpool or football fans in general to blame for this? Are we hoping it's never hot again so nobody goes to the beach? Are we hoping that pubs never open again so towns across the country aren't trashed every Friday and Saturday night?

Regarding the point of the squad celebrating together, it no doubt contributed however you only have to look at what else has gone on over the last 5-6 weeks to see that a large number of people are beyond the point of caring about social distancing anymore.

Soldato
The one thing that's been missed off all news reports is that the Liver Building houses Everton FCs offices and was lit up red white and blue, but blue at the top. Doesn't excuse this is any way and I'm not a Liverpool fan but it gives some more context as to why people would be celebrating firing fireworks at it. Everton (who I'm also not a fan of) have a habit of goading Liverpool, for example their second shop is in Liverpool One shopping centre and is called Everton Two, so the address is Everton Two, Liverpool One.

Don
for example their second shop is in Liverpool One shopping centre and is called Everton Two, so the address is Everton Two, Liverpool One.
Tbf that's just funny. And whether the idiot with the fireworks wouldn't have fired them at the Liver building had it not been lit up blue or not, he was still acting like an utter moron. I mentioned in the other thread, there's a video of him very nearly firing one straight into a group of people and he didn't even blink, just picked up another and carried on.

Soldato
Of course Everton have a habit of goading Liverpool. For the last 30 years or so, their raison d'etre is to get one over and that's the fans and the club from top to bottom. They ain't called "The Bitters" for nothing... Liverpool fans sing songs about beating Everton 5-0 and Everton fans sing songs about hanging Kopites one by one by the banks of the river :). Which is nice. A lot of my Evertonian mates have seemingly vanished off the earth. No socials, no texts, no nothing. Football related or not. And I don't even wind them up.

That doesn't excuse firing fireworks at their offices though... Idiots. And yeah, firing them into a crowd... I mean really? The cops should have already picked him up and charged him with something serious regardless of any injuries he's caused or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
You've completely missed the point I was making. Yes, in this particular instance it is Liverpool fans that are ignoring social distancing and leaving trash everywhere but it's not a football/football fan issue - it's a wider society issue. Go out in London on a Friday night and you'll see trash dumped everywhere, go down Brighton beach and you'll see trash left everywhere, go to a music festival or carnival and you'll see trash left everywhere. Are Liverpool or football fans in general to blame for this? Are we hoping it's never hot again so nobody goes to the beach? Are we hoping that pubs never open again so towns across the country aren't trashed every Friday and Saturday night?

Regarding the point of the squad celebrating together, it no doubt contributed however you only have to look at what else has gone on over the last 5-6 weeks to see that a large number of people are beyond the point of caring about social distancing anymore.

I think this example and the one 2 years ago are far more extreme. Those people shouldn’t have even been there, the club specifically asked people not to go out and gather. Couple that with Liverpudlians are meant to be proud of their city, along with fireworks and the like leaves a sour taste for me.

For full transparency me and my wife went to Liverpool 9 years for our first wedding anniversary found it be a beautiful city and great people. 2 years ago as I said the place was disgusting after the football and on the evidence of that and last nights pictures I’d say it is in part a Liverpool fan issue. I’ve had the pleasure and displeasure of working in most cities and major towns in the UK so I’d like to think I have fairly unblinkered view of UK cities :p

I do take your point on a wider society issue but I don’t think that is the full story here sadly.

Don
I think this example and the one 2 years ago are far more extreme....
More extreme than 11 tonnes of litter left on Brighton beach yesterday or 12 tonnes on Bournemouth beach or the clean up at Glastonbury every year? I've no idea how accurate it is but I've just read that it costs nearly £800k to clear up the mess left behind at Glastonbury. It took Liverpool council all of 2 hours to clean up the mess left last night, I guess at maybe 1% of the cost.

When you've got a large groups of people concentrated in a small area, whether that be a beach, festival or where football supporters have chose to gather, it will be more 'extreme' but the underlying issue is the same as somebody throwing a crisp packet on the floor as they're walking down the street. The guy with the fireworks is a complete an utter moron though, as I've said a few times now.

Soldato
More extreme than 11 tonnes of litter left on Brighton beach yesterday or 12 tonnes on Bournemouth beach or the clean up at Glastonbury every year? I've no idea how accurate it is but I've just read that it costs nearly £800k to clear up the mess left behind at Glastonbury. It took Liverpool council all of 2 hours to clean up the mess left last night, I guess at maybe 1% of the cost.

When you've got a large groups of people concentrated in a small area, whether that be a beach, festival or where football supporters have chose to gather, it will be more 'extreme' but the underlying issue is the same as somebody throwing a crisp packet on the floor as they're walking down the street. The guy with the fireworks is a complete an utter moron though, as I've said a few times now.
Glastonbury pretty difficult to have bins in the middle of crowds ... Without looking on google maps I’m sure their are plenty of bins in that area.
The points which are being missed are :-
  • Their own team, club and city asked them not to gather outside
  • For fans who pride themselves on being proud of their city its not a great look.
The phrase pooing on your doorstep springs to mind. As I said it’s a shame as I like Liverpool as a club and the people generally seem like decent people.

Don
Glastonbury pretty difficult to have bins in the middle of crowds ....
And that didn't apply to the crowds that gathered in Liverpool City Centre? Fwiw, 5 seconds on google tells me that there are 15000 bins at Glastonbury, approx 1 for every 13 people. I've no idea how many supporters gathered last night but we can safely say that there wouldn't have been the same availability of bins and yet Glastonbury has a far greater litter issue despite this.

I accept your point about Klopp and the club asking people to stay home but as I've said, too many people are beyond the point of caring about the lockdown anymore. You can tell people until you're blue in the face not to go out but when they've seen 10s of 1000s of people ignore the lockdown all over the country for the last month, do you really expect them to listen? I've said myself that if it was possible I'd have been at Anfield on Thursday night and my justification would be, what difference does it make whether I go out or not? Thousands upon thousands of people are ignoring the restrictions every day, going to the beach, having street parties, protests, counter protests or just simply going about their daily lives, why should I miss out on celebrating something I've waited 30 years for when so many other people don't follow the rules? One person more isn't going to make a difference. And before anybody says it, I know that half of the issue is too many people having this attitude but that's where we are now because the lockdown was never enforced properly to begin with.

My overall point is that this isn't a football issue. You mention fans being proud of the City but again that's not unique to football - Liverpudlians are proud of the City, it doesn't change the fact that on any Friday or Saturday night you'll see trash dumbed everywhere. The same as every other City in the country.

Caporegime
Glastonbury pretty difficult to have bins in the middle of crowds ... Without looking on google maps I’m sure their are plenty of bins in that area.
The points which are being missed are :-
  • Their own team, club and city asked them not to gather outside
  • For fans who pride themselves on being proud of their city its not a great look.
The phrase pooing on your doorstep springs to mind. As I said it’s a shame as I like Liverpool as a club and the people generally seem like decent people.

Not commmenting in Liverpool fan behaviour but disposing of your rubbish at Glasto is very very easy, people are just lazy and selfish

Soldato
I think this example and the one 2 years ago are far more extreme. Those people shouldn’t have even been there, the club specifically asked people not to go out and gather. Couple that with Liverpudlians are meant to be proud of their city, along with fireworks and the like leaves a sour taste for me.

For full transparency me and my wife went to Liverpool 9 years for our first wedding anniversary found it be a beautiful city and great people. 2 years ago as I said the place was disgusting after the football and on the evidence of that and last nights pictures I’d say it is in part a Liverpool fan issue. I’ve had the pleasure and displeasure of working in most cities and major towns in the UK so I’d like to think I have fairly unblinkered view of UK cities :p

I do take your point on a wider society issue but I don’t think that is the full story here sadly.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fan-volunteers-clean-up-18499159

Associate
Not commmenting in Liverpool fan behaviour but disposing of your rubbish at Glasto is very very easy, people are just lazy and selfish

I have been to Wacken Open Air (metal festival in Germany) for two years now, and it is quite incredible to see the difference there. WAO uploaded pics from the festival site the day after the festival closed, and the fans were proper cleaning up after themselves. They also had a competition that if you uploaded pics from your spot in the camp site where you had done cleaning after yourself you could win merch from the festival etc.

Back
Top Bottom