• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is x86 on its way out?

Soldato
OP
Bingo. Once Adobe port something like Photoshop or After Effects and you can do a like for like on the iPad/iMac/PC/Intel based Mac you'll be able to see the difference.

Remember when Apple used to try and market the Power PC as being faster than the equivalent x86, using dodgy marketing slides (those people obviously work at Intel now) and the year they dumped Power PC all of a sudden all the stuff x86 was crap at last year it was now amazing at.
They already have ported photoshop on the ipad

Associate
Is there anything on iPad that taxes cpu at all and could be benchmarked? I don't know, batch conversion of images? Browser javascript test? Zip archiving?

Soldato
It's the same.mac os will be identical and merged with iPads os

You are failing to see the point I made in the original post. Until we can do a like for like comparison then what can be done on the iPad is irrelevant. You need to compare the x86-64 version to it using the 'equivalent' hardware, there isn't an x86 iPad.

Man of Honour
No. Modern games are written with heavy x86 arch optimisations. More so with consoles all being x86. Will require substantial work for game engines and drivers to run anywhere near as fast as x86.

Games when coded for and optimised for RISC can run very fast - although it will probably mean at least at engine development level there will be a requirement for more people who are capable of working at the architecture assembly language level - but by its nature that tends to be less complex than x86.

Man of Honour
Can be. Will anyone bother? Even on PC nowadays optimisations are lacking, especially on console ports.

You kind of have to on RISC much more than CISC/x86 - it is often much harder to get acceptable performance from interpreted languages, etc. so you either have to get clever or get optimised.

EDIT: Though I don't know what Apple and the likes will do implementation wise - compiled languages on RISC tend to be less of a thing than on CISC platforms.

Man of Honour
I just don't see it happening any time soon. How this likely plays out is Intel start defending their IP and tie apple/microsoft and anybody else in Legal battles around emulation of x86/64 instructions likely preventing the techs release, at least in the immediate future say the next 4 or so years. Intel then lean heavily on the OEM's and the OEM's then wont kit out their machines with ARM.

Microsoft in the long run would need to port windows (which is already done) rather than add a layer of abstraction but as we have already seen that will fail as everybody writes apps for x86/64. I hope it does end up differently but I cant see it.

Associate
Can be. Will anyone bother? Even on PC nowadays optimisations are lacking, especially on console ports.
Hard to see for me, gaming on a Mac is a very niche activity due to their rubbish GPUs (without spending '000s). Can't imagine devs will want to port games for presumably pretty low sales. x86 covers PC and both current and next gen PS/XBox.

Soldato
Not had a single piece of arm tech that has had a usage lifespan like my x86 pc. My 10 year old cpu still in use today and performs well.
10 year old arm phone or tablet is useless. Even 5 year old arm tech struggles with basics like web browsing.

But would be real interesting to see what even a arm cortex A15 could do with 95w of power like desktop x86 cpus.

Soldato
aren't the instruction sets much more basic on ARM CPUs, and won't this limit the level of performance per watt for traditional x86 applications?

My simple crude analogy. If a CPU has an instruction set for multiplication then it can calculate 4x2 in one instruction, but if it can only add then it needs to calculate 2+2+2+2, which will take more time.

(yeah i know this is not how it works, but hopefully you see my point....)

Soldato
Not had a single piece of arm tech that has had a usage lifespan like my x86 pc. My 10 year old cpu still in use today and performs well.
10 year old arm phone or tablet is useless. Even 5 year old arm tech struggles with basics like web browsing.

But would be real interesting to see what even a arm cortex A15 could do with 95w of power like desktop x86 cpus.

This is because ARM chips have become so much better in the last 10 years while x86 has been more or less stagnant with only minor improvements. So the operating systems, software and use cases have been updated to use the extra power, rather than becoming stagnant.

A core in Apple A13 is over 100 times faster than a core in Apple A4 (released in 2010).
A core in i9 10900K is almost 2 times faster than a core in Core i7 920 (released in 2008). Majority of the improvement also comes from clock speed improvements (2.93GHz vs 5.3GHz Turbo speeds).

If we've had a 100x performance improvement for x86 in the last 10 years, every OS, game, software and use-case would have been updated to use the extra processing power. In that case, your 10-year-old x86 chip would have seriously struggled as well. Stagnation is not a sign of quality or longevity, it's a sign of mediocracy, and that's what Intel has been in the last 10 years.

Soldato
aren't the instruction sets much more basic on ARM CPUs, and won't this limit the level of performance per watt for traditional x86 applications?

My simple crude analogy. If a CPU has an instruction set for multiplication then it can calculate 4x2 in one instruction, but if it can only add then it needs to calculate 2+2+2+2, which will take more time.

(yeah i know this is not how it works, but hopefully you see my point....)

All modern CPUs (ARM and x86 included) are RISC processors and they use microcode to translate their ISA into their own internal instruction sets. ARM has no disadvantage here and their ISA is pretty much on par with x86 (with fewer baggage from the old days). ARM v9 is going to be even more complex and will add equivalents of AVX512 to ARM as well.

Back
Top Bottom