BMW M140i owners

Soldato
I only manage to get 35mpg at best on the motorway with the N55 engine in the M2. Efficiency greatly improved after 10k miles of driving.

Usually get 20-25 on a my spirited drive, probably average 26-28mpg on regular driving and commuting.

M140is interest me, my neighbour has one - would love to have a go in one and see how it compares.
I test drove an M2 when I had my M135i and honestly speaking apart from the M2 feeling much tighter and stiffer I could barely tell the difference, certainly no noticable difference in performance between the two from the 30 odd minutes I had behind the wheel. I suspect on track the M2 would feel substantially better though.

I too noticed my MPG improving significantly after about 10-13k miles. It began to drop off again after about 40k miles, but that was 40k miles of any old 95RON fuel. After that I switched to only using premium (BP Ultimate, Shell V Power or Esso Synergy+), and the efficiency slowly improved to where it was at its peak.

One big difference between the M135i/140i and the M2 (and the main reason I suspect you are seeing lower economy) is the gearbox. The 135i/140i have the ZF8, which among other significant differences has the coast function in Eco Pro mode, which the 7DCT in the M2 does not have.

@Tee Hee Johnson as @Blackhawk47 says Pro Nav is a "must have" in my opinion. I would also look for HK audio. I had the BMW Advanced system, but wished I'd spent the little extra and chosen HK. Luckily I think both options are pretty common in these cars so shouldn't be hard to find. I also chose adaptive suspension, which was great. Soft and comfy for day to day driving, and stiff and sporty when you wanted it to be. Truly the best of both worlds.

Soldato
@Havana_UK I don't doubt it. A work colleague has a M235i (albeit with a remap) and we have driven both cars back to back. As you say the M2 does feel a lot more planted, more noticeably at higher speeds and we both agreed the DCT shifts felt faster. But performance is very comparable if stock vs stock.

I do think though that M2 gives that special feeling, through a combination of sound, looks, performance and the handling that fills you with confidence. Obviously the sound is down to the exhaust as it is the same engine but I just love everything about it. I'm pretty sure I've never even been close to the limits of what the car is capable of.

BMW tried to call/email offering a new M4 competition but I simply don't think I'd enjoy driving it as much as the M2 - especially on the country lanes in Leicestershire.

Definitely was a heart over head moment when I got the M2. There were a number of approved used M240i coupes lined up next to it which were nearly 45% cheaper in price than the M2 at the time. It is my only car therefore I rack up the miles quite easily but I do enjoy it. In hindsight the M240i would probably have been the sensible option.

Associate
I had an m135i in Estoral blue for 3 years was great. Never let me down and only needed servicing and tyres. Moved to an f80 now though but would have an m135i / 140 again.

Soldato
Anything I'm missing?!

I'd genuinely hold out for the adaptive suspension.

That and, as mentioned above, the Pro Nav are essential.

The HK and the upgraded sound system are nearly identical, I've owned both for significant periods of time. Sure, the HK is better, but only slightly, I'd scratch around for the adaptive suspension before the HK. Great if you can get both, of course.

I'd try both the M135i and the M140i, the M140i is not significantly faster on paper but it was very brutish on the road. I daresay I had more fun with the M135i, it's power somewhat more usable.

Man of Honour
Adaptive suspension is great on a new car but be very careful with it if you're buying an older one or a simple change of some tired shock absorbers ends up being a massive bill.

Soldato
Adaptive suspension is great on a new car but be very careful with it if you're buying an older one or a simple change of some tired shock absorbers ends up being a massive bill.
This is a very good point to make when buying used! Wise words...

I think, if I were looking at a used M135/M140 then the "must have" list would be:
- Pro nav
- HK
- cruise control (personal preference...I do a lot of miles)

Literally everything else would be on the "nice to have" list.

Soldato

Great shout.

Wonder if the BMW used warranty would cover the adaptive suspension...

Soldato
This is a very good point to make when buying used! Wise words...

I think, if I were looking at a used M135/M140 then the "must have" list would be:
- Pro nav
- HK
- cruise control (personal preference...I do a lot of miles)

Literally everything else would be on the "nice to have" list.

Don’t they have cruise as standard?

Man of Honour
It isn't the same as adaptive cruise, no.

Brake function means it applies the brakes on hills to stop the speed creeping up.

Caporegime
Meh for such a new car, it sure leaves out a lot of desirable functions lol. I mean my current car is 6 yrs old, has auto hold and adaptive cruise control which is utterly awesome.

But then it’s an M car so I can see why they certain things out.

Soldato
But then it’s an M car so I can see why they certain things out.
Sorry to be picky, but it's not an M car. Saying stuff like that around these parts will have people jumping down your throat! :D

It's a BMW, and like many of the "premium" marques a lot of kit is not standard. This helps to keep the base model prices competitively priced when compared to alternatives from other brands.

Soldato
I had an M140i and I certainly wouldn't let the lack of any options put you off. Mine was pretty well spec'd, but I could have quite easily done without them. If I was buying one again, I would rather save the money.

The HK sound system is pretty crap, the pro nav gets a bigger screen but the BMW system is rubbish anyway so you might as well just stick with the basic system and use your phone.

My friend went with the adaptive suspension, and I could definately feel the difference, but would I pay for it? Mmmmm, not sure I would.

Soldato
The HK sound system is pretty crap, the pro nav gets a bigger screen but the BMW system is rubbish anyway so you might as well just stick with the basic system and use your phone.
I disagree! The HK may be "crap" compared to other products or aftermarket systems, but it's a huge step up from the woeful standard audio.

IMO (and experience thus far) BMW's nav is one of the best out there. Speed, interface, and accuracy seem to be great to me and it's not led me astray in 15 years of BMW motoring. Sure, things like Waze and whatnot are arguably better, but I'd much rather have a properly integrated system than sticking my phone to an air vent...now THAT looks crap!

Soldato
I disagree! The HK may be "crap" compared to other products or aftermarket systems, but it's a huge step up from the woeful standard audio.

IMO (and experience thus far) BMW's nav is one of the best out there. Speed, interface, and accuracy seem to be great to me and it's not led me astray in 15 years of BMW motoring. Sure, things like Waze and whatnot are arguably better, but I'd much rather have a properly integrated system than sticking my phone to an air vent...now THAT looks crap!

I had both of those options and still had my phone stuck on the dash with a mount :p

Back
Top Bottom