Hong Kong and its assimilation with mainland China

Soldato
I noticed there wasn't a thread about the current situation in Hong Kong.

Protests last year, then people got distracted by Coronavirus... now the focus is back on. National security law being made by the CCP to prevent protesting, subversion etc with maximum life in jail.

A terrible situation for the Hong Kong population and it feels like the only thing you can do is just watch it all unfold.

World leaders will obviously "condemn" the CCP actions, but despite any join declaration violations I expect the status quo between nations will likely be maintained. The UK government giving citizenship to HK nationals is a good safety net, but the UK is not their home. They have cultivated a great city over the generations.

So say Hong Kong gets steam rolled by China, what could be next? India border? Taiwan?

What options are there to give China a kick up the backside. Boycott Chinese products? Crowd fund a military to protect Hong Kong?

Caporegime
Stop corporations exporting jobs to China. All of the multinationals that are quick to push woke agendas here in the west have economic entanglements with China. "Yeah we support BLM's stance for reparations against slavery 200 years ago but we also get our products built for peanuts by Chinese slave labour today". Total hypocrites.

Western governments need to treat China as a hostile actor just as they did the Soviet Union, all of the screaming about Russia the last few years and totally ignore China who are a far bigger threat and who we are (supposed to be) ideologically opposed to.

Soldato
The only thing people here can do is boycott Chinese made products to send a message to the business leaders here we don't want to contribute to that regime anymore.

But let us not it was our business leaders, and encouraged by the government, to sell our people out by exporting to countries that made things cheaper. They didn't mind then and not now about the working conditions for the people in China either.

It looks like the ball as been set in motion now that we're heading towards at least a cold war with china, possibly more.

Back British. Buy British! :cool:

Also an NPC brain fart in that a right wing government is supporting an immigration package.. this.. does.. not.. compute!

Soldato
OP
Stop corporations exporting jobs to China. All of the multinationals that are quick to push woke agendas here in the west have economic entanglements with China. "Yeah we support BLM's stance for reparations against slavery 200 years ago but we also get our products built for peanuts by Chinese slave labour today". Total hypocrites.

Western governments need to treat China as a hostile actor just as they did the Soviet Union, all of the screaming about Russia the last few years and totally ignore China who are a far bigger threat and who we are (supposed to be) ideologically opposed to.

I view them as a massive threat. They have roots in so many things now, that their passive MO is now paying off for them.

A country where jaywalking is illegal and deducts money from your bank account by the time you've crossed the road. Not the future I would want to live in.

Soldato

the USSR didn't produce all the cheap tac crap we in the west thrive upon,unlike our Chinese overlords

Soldato
Im no fan of our government but I give them some credit for giving millions of HK citizens a way out of that hell hole.
But its really only half the story...the west really needs to figure out a way of taking away China's control of the world economy before it really is too late.

Associate
The UK government giving citizenship to HK nationals is a good safety net, but the UK is not their home. They have cultivated a great city over the generations.

Here's the thing, it's this way (to the UK, if you qualify), or no way (no other real options available, because their "demands" are super silly on some levels if you read them). It doesn't matter what they cultivated over generations there in now HK, if something is storming its way over you (China in this case) and you have no power to resist, your only options are to stay and weather it out no matter the outcome, or jump ship. And beggers can't be choosers unfortunately (so again, it's this way; the UK, or no way). But a lot of the "vocal" lot, wants "a LOT", for free.

* Give them a small Island (for FREE) so they can make a New Hong Kong. Sure, but who's going to pay all the bills? The money for infrastructure building, electricity, etc. Where's it going to come from? You can't build an entirely new duplicate Hong Kong in a short amount of time, that's WHY it took generations for current HK. So where will everyone be first? And who will foot the bills for that initial stay?
* Let them have any part they want and not integrate, but carve out their own existence, with their own laws, etc from the UK? ie. They're not going to foot any tax or bills for stuff like NHS, but get to enjoy the benefits of it as well.
* Alternatives are basically the same for any other country, just replace it with the words UK. So Canada, USA, Ireland, Germany, etc.

Look, I've been a sponger for a short stint a while back, but even I knew what I could ask for help on during that time (Need a cooler, bare basics? Gotcha. Not, Need a cooler, need a few ton for custom water parts). The demands the HK vocal lot have asked for are just out of this world when you read it. Sure it might not be all of them like that, but really they haven't shown that they disagree with it either. (Herd mentality, afraid to have own opinions or stray away from others of their kind and like minded)

I'm all for bringing them over who wish to integrate, but the vocal lot (that the others don't disagree with) sure makes it hard to want to help them.

So say Hong Kong gets steam rolled by China, what could be next? India border? Taiwan?

What options are there to give China a kick up the backside. Boycott Chinese products? Crowd fund a military to protect Hong Kong?

There are no real options here. You cannot crowd fund a military to protect Hong Kong, because the moment any military force attempts to enter into HK, they'll be met with extreme prejudice by the China military. Most military trained and skilled personnel are not idiots, and knows that's a suicide mission. And there won't be epic music running as they do it either. Might be able to enlist some about to die from disease or other issues former military people for a lot of wonga, but I doubt that'll work long term (you're wasting money in short).

As for boycotting China products. As others have said, that might work if any country actually had any decent production anymore. The issue is everyone wants cheap and the products as well, and very few places will be competing with China on the level they can provide because of their own capatilism/greed.

So yeah. Nothing is going to happen.

Soldato
I saw this in the news earlier but i don't understand whats going on. Can someone do a summary for dummies like me please?

China introduced security laws in HK that allows them to arrest people for sedition, state terrorism and general anti government type behaviour. They don't like it so they went mental and Johnson and Raab have said all Hong Kong residents can basically come and live full time in the UK.

Caporegime
the USSR didn't produce all the cheap tac crap we in the west thrive upon,unlike our Chinese overlords

Even if they had offered do you think governments back then would have been naive enough to build the Soviet Union up economically like we have done China (at our own expense)? would the Soviet Union have eventually collapsed if we did? there was the Berlin wall totally separating us that's how much we wanted to trade. Oh and btw the East Germans on the Communist side called the Berlin wall the "anti-fascist protection barrier" because their people were propagandised into believing that the free-west were all a bunch of fascists. Sound familiar? look it up if you don't believe me.

Goods can be manufactured over here and corporations will still make a huge profit selling at the same prices, they just won't make as much profit. Manufacturing in China is solely about increasing profits. Oh and with more manufacturing jobs in the UK more people will have more money to buy their products.

Back
Top Bottom