Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
b414390a5543252ab53435371da72051.jpg

OcUK Staff
Spotted out and about in the 458 by a social media photographer who tagged me on instagram, requested him email them to me which he kindly did:

2A7444A7-541A-45A7-A97A-F346C1EDA02A.jpg E77C1845-C4BB-4F3D-944C-7185FED6B42B.jpg

Excuse how filthy car is as it has not been washed for a couple months! :eek: :D

Soldato
As beautiful as the 458 is, it suffers from the same affliction as lots of high end Italian cars for some reason. They don't even try with the indicators! Yeah just slap on this 50p orange blob from a 1960s Volvo. It blows my mind, not even tried to integrate or style it. Similarly I wish manual keyholes would be hidden a bit better, McLaren/TVR style.

OcUK Staff
As beautiful as the 458 is, it suffers from the same affliction as lots of high end Italian cars for some reason. They don't even try with the indicators! Yeah just slap on this 50p orange blob from a 1960s Volvo. It blows my mind, not even tried to integrate or style it. Similarly I wish manual keyholes would be hidden a bit better, McLaren/TVR style.

Yes the side indicators I think are pulled directly out the Fiat parts bin and the key hole on drivers door when I first got the car I was like how odd yet now I never notice it, I think it is just because Ferrari got this car so right in the looks, driving and as an overall package you simply forgive them for slapping some parts from a Punto on the car, simply as its best car I have ever driven and it is incredibly well put together, the build quality is in a totally different league to a Mclaren or TVR, it is up there with Audi/Lamborghini but with a bit of old fashion Italian flare.

Soldato
Yes the side indicators I think are pulled directly out the Fiat parts bin and the key hole on drivers door when I first got the car I was like how odd yet now I never notice it, I think it is just because Ferrari got this car so right in the looks, driving and as an overall package you simply forgive them for slapping some parts from a Punto on the car, simply as its best car I have ever driven and it is incredibly well put together, the build quality is in a totally different league to a Mclaren or TVR, it is up there with Audi/Lamborghini but with a bit of old fashion Italian flare.

I'm with you, the haphazard nature is what gives them soul I think. The 4C is full of it aswell - 'No you can't have a gas strut on the bootlid, that would add 600 grams!' - 'Yeah let's have heated electric mirrors!'

Caporegime
Actually an interesting one. Was watching an episode of Wheeler dealers a while back where they dealt with a Datsun 510 on which a side repeater had been removed for the American market and the original panels with the repeaters in were very rare. Luckily when they stripped the paint back it was a jdm panel but just with the hole filled.

Soldato
I expect the side repeaters are an afterthought because they are only fitted in markets where they are mandated.

Its cos the volumes doesn't really let them tool something bespoke and fitting for each car and offer value. Its not even like they have common mirror caps where a lot put the direction indicators. I guess just embracing that approach allows them to a little more flexible on the door mirror mount and housing to suit the character of each car which is what most normal people notice more.

Back
Top Bottom