Planning - Neighbour Objecting

Associate
OP
That being said, they are often PD and you might be able to make an argument that one could be added at the other end of the roof without planning permission? Putting it where you propose could improve the privacy of the objectors in comparison?

This is what the Architect said, so surprised.

Having a dorma under PD on the other side would definitely be more overlooking.

Associate
OP
We are going for a pitched roof dorma now because we feel it looks better and shows some compromise. But won't know until next week what planning think.

We are to the left of the first drone pic and top of the second dronepic. Think it explains better and shows what exactly is getting overlooked compared to what is already.

aerial.png

Soldato
Other than the massive and what seemed out of proportion dormer which was made worse by the small window in it the only thing I really agree with in their letter is that it could be deemed to be detrimental to the street scene. I think you could deal with that though by reducing the height of the extension by a couple of bricks so that it becomes subservient to the existing house. Its often favorable to be able to distinguish between new and old and planning officers will often appreciate the effort to maintain this.

Soldato
Thanks for the additional pictures!

I think the proposed dormer looks contrived and a bit odd with the low pitch to the roof. It might not be bad enough to refuse but it's hardly a great quality design.

Soldato
Thanks for the additional pictures!

I think the proposed dormer looks contrived and a bit odd with the low pitch to the roof. It might not be bad enough to refuse but it's hardly a great quality design.
I agree with this. The dormer doesn't look in keeping with the rest of the property or area - it looks pretty unsightly. I'd ask the architect for an updated design.

Soldato
could you have an end of gable window (a new aspect), overlooking the road, and, avoid the dormer, or,
there is really not enough office roof height without it. ? structurally that could be problematic supporting the roof

Associate
OP
There really wouldn’t be enough space up there without a dormer.

There’s also a third design, with two dormers. A lot smaller. Aesthetically better but still dormers and obviously less space.

I’ll try and upload later.

Appreciating the replies so thanks.

Associate
OP
We revised and lost the dormer. It was a last minute bolt on anyway. I'm sure we could revisit under PD for our existing loft if we wanted.

BUT ....... we got our approval :)

Approval.jpg

Associate
This often gets away with it, if you frst the glass their privacy is maintained

Yeah its what we did with a two story extension. The neighbours moaned about privacy despite cutting down all 6 ft trees and bushes along the garden boundary that made the gardens private. Had to say hello to the idoits every time I went outside as the adjong garden wall was only about 4ft. Luckily they moved 3 months after it was finished

Soldato
Glad to see it worked out!

I'm partway through a double storey extension and thought I couldn't possibly suffer with any neighbour issues, but already it's starting to kick off.. (Thread incoming).. My advice is do not change your plans if only to 'appease' potential neighbour issues, they'd only be happy if you didn't build your extension and will only find something to complain about..

Soldato
I had a very similar situation when I extended a number of years ago.
- submitted plan to extend similar to OP, basically building up attached garage to full building height but no loft conversion (did that later!)
- development officer came out to discuss plans and asked if I would consider changing as neighbour had raised concerns despite us consulting prior to application
- Architect said compromise not necessary so I proceeded.
- neighbour kicked up a fuss with development control officer and application got rejected
- I appealed it, wrote the appeal my self and re-submitted to Secretary of State
- Appeal was granted and I got builder onboard
- next thing I get a letter saying neighbour has challenged at High Court
- I cracked on an built the the extension and never heard anything afterwards

I think a lot of thees situations are driven by petty jealousies. All I was trying to do was to tastefully improve my home in keeping with the other houses in the neighbourhood. It worked out in the end but I learned a lot about local councils and them taking the line of least resistance vs making the correct objective decisions.

I wish you good luck with the project and hope that the decision goes for you.

Back
Top Bottom