BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
That doesn't really help. Are we talking new or used?

If new, the 3 series is a better car. If used, it depends on the age. The 2017-19 X3 is much better than the 2012-19 3 series for example.

Soldato
That doesn't really help. Are we talking new or used?

If new, the 3 series is a better car. If used, it depends on the age. The 2017-19 X3 is much better than the 2012-19 3 series for example.

Brand new, I did say in the original post. I just really need to go and drive them I suppose!

Soldato
What happened with the chains, you never heard of the old e46, e39 or e90 engines ever having problems with chains so it’s not like they didn’t know how to build them correctly.
The only issue with chains were the chain guides on an e39 m5 that I can think of.

The chain stretches over time. Some say it’s just a trait as the 6 cyl apparently use the same chains and guides as the 4cyl. Others say due to irregular oil changes. It’s a very rare occurrence on the 6cyl though but I know of a few 3.0d twin turbo engines having had them done under warranty.

Man of Honour
What happened with the chains, you never heard of the old e46, e39 or e90 engines ever having problems with chains so it’s not like they didn’t know how to build them correctly.
The only issue with chains were the chain guides on an e39 m5 that I can think of.

The E90 320d is about the worst culprit!

Man of Honour
No, you can get xenons without the visibility package. It's rare, most do have the pack, but it does happen.

All LCI cars have xenon lights as standard.

Soldato
No, you can get xenons without the visibility package. It's rare, most do have the pack, but it does happen.

All LCI cars have xenon lights as standard.

Are there any other signs that the car has the vis pack? I think I've read that LED front indicators are included?

Im not sure it makes much difference anyway, high beam assist I've found pretty useless and the adaptive headlights are underwhelming pre-LCI.

Interesting. What don't you like about high beam assist, is it slow to react? I'm not specifically looking for a car with the vis pack but it's nice to be able to tell if a car has it or not.

Caporegime
Interesting. What don't you like about high beam assist, is it slow to react? I'm not specifically looking for a car with the vis pack but it's nice to be able to tell if a car has it or not.

Yes its been slow and unreliable for me. So much so that you end up having to intervene and it takes more concentration than just doing it yourself.

The adaptive headlights just swivel left and right and its rare there's a situation that that is actually useful. They do adjust when you put the foglights on but the benefit isn't huge.

Man of Honour
Are there any other signs that the car has the vis pack? I think I've read that LED front indicators are included?

Led front indicators are part of the pre LCI xenon unit and not dependant on visibility package.

The way to tell from the outside is look at the inner projector lense. If it's clear, it's non functioning and the car doesn't have adaptive xenons.

High beam assistant on the pre LCI cars isn't brilliant. However on the LCI cars it is absolutely amazing as it does proper matrix style beam splitting.

Soldato
Thanks very much both, useful info!

High beam assistant on the pre LCI cars isn't brilliant. However on the LCI cars it is absolutely amazing as it does proper matrix style beam splitting.

Am I right in thinking that the vis pack is very rare on the LCI cars? I think I can quote you when I say that many people didn't feel the need to upgrade to the LED headlights? It's not a show stopper for me, I'm just trying to decide between looking at late pre-LCI or post-LCI cars. Obviously newer and lower miles means more money.

Man of Honour
Am I right in thinking that the vis pack is very rare on the LCI cars? I think I can quote you when I say that many people didn't feel the need to upgrade to the LED headlights?

There is no visibility package for LCI. Instead you could option adaptive/hba or you could opt for the LED headlights.

Most people didn't bother with any form of upgrade as they deemed the standard xenons enough, making it hard to find upgraded ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Usually your tax liability on the sacrifice amount is replaced by company car tax.

Which is why do many people are going Tesla.

Now I've finally started at the new place and got the full details I do pay tax and NI on the amount but the way the scheme works it is more efficient to use the system to take the car than to take the cash. I've been playing for a few days with various options and the M340i through the scheme is bloody expensive as are the S4 and c43...but oddly the RS4 isn't so I just ordered one of those instead :D

Soldato
Soldato
Now I've finally started at the new place and got the full details I do pay tax and NI on the amount but the way the scheme works it is more efficient to use the system to take the car than to take the cash. I've been playing for a few days with various options and the M340i through the scheme is bloody expensive as are the S4 and c43...but oddly the RS4 isn't so I just ordered one of those instead :D
:cool:

Soldato
Hi all. Having just sold my Skyline I've got £2-3k to spend on something boring and sensible. There seem to be quite a few 118d and the odd 120d in budget, mostly on about 100k miles.

Worth considering? Anything to worry about at that sort of mileage?

Back
Top Bottom