BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Probably one for Foxy here.
Looking at changing my 3 series for a 530D GT.
I have seen a couple around a similar price, but one is newer with higher mileage on it.
Both are well spaced, but the higher mileage one (101k) has the HUD as well.

Couple of questions:-
Would the high mileage be a put off on one of these, or would it be better to get a slightly older model with less mileage?
Anything major that I should look out for? I have heard that the rear suspension units are expensive to replace, but it appears that the engine is somewhat bombproof if serviced correctly?

Cheers
The problem with the higher mileage one is that you can't get a fully comprehensive warranty on it anymore...only driveline, and it will be an expensive warranty too.

Associate
Test driving a M340i on Friday. Rather excited.

I hope it's an unaccompanied one...

I was thrown the keys to my last 2 test drives in the M135i, the 2nd test drive was the car I bought.

Both garages were pretty relaxed about handing me the keys but then again they had my license and keys to my GTi so all was well.

Found it easier to drive and listen for any bumps, creaks, whistles and rattles that otherwise might have been missed. Never used it as a test pilot opportunity.

Soldato
Test driving a M340i on Friday. Rather excited.

I hope it's an unaccompanied one...

I had a loan of one this morning and it was chucking it down, it has a lot of rear bias on the x drive system took me a little by surprise but the lower level of grip showed just how well it handles and how good the M Sport diff is. If it’s anything to go by the new M3 Touring is going to be superb.

Quick aswell 0-60 in the wet 4.3 seconds using a VBOX, recon it must be good for a sub 4 in the dry as it spun up all 4 wheels

Soldato
I had a loan of one this morning and it was chucking it down, it has a lot of rear bias on the x drive system took me a little by surprise but the lower level of grip showed just how well it handles and how good the M Sport diff is. If it’s anything to go by the new M3 Touring is going to be superb.

Quick aswell 0-60 in the wet 4.3 seconds using a VBOX, recon it must be good for a sub 4 in the dry.

Sounds really good, thanks! Did you manage to do many miles in it? I'm seeing a few complaints about the seats being uncomfortable with or without lumbar support.

Soldato
Sounds really good, thanks! Did you manage to do many miles in it? I'm seeing a few complaints about the seats being uncomfortable with or without lumbar support.

I only managed 50 ish, I’ve done 300-400 miles in another one with lumbar support but all the way in and it was fine.

I don’t generally use lumbar support a lot on cars and not picky with seating position so not the best person to comment.

Associate
Hi

I soon need front disc's and pads on my 530d f10, done 54k

Local dealer quoting £570...local place I've used before quoting £380 for apec discs and pads. Are these any good? It seems a bit too cheap.. And brakes is not an area I want to compromise too much on.

Any other recommendations for discs/pads?

Soldato
I only managed 50 ish, I’ve done 300-400 miles in another one with lumbar support but all the way in and it was fine.

I don’t generally use lumbar support a lot on cars and not picky with seating position so not the best person to comment.

Seats are fine for me. Done a few 300 mile trips, no drama.

Cool, thanks for letting me know :)

Man of Honour
Probably one for Foxy here.
Looking at changing my 3 series for a 530D GT.
I have seen a couple around a similar price, but one is newer with higher mileage on it.
Both are well spaced, but the higher mileage one (101k) has the HUD as well.
Couple of questions:-
Would the high mileage be a put off on one of these, or would it be better to get a slightly older model with less mileage?
Anything major that I should look out for? I have heard that the rear suspension units are expensive to replace, but it appears that the engine is somewhat bombproof if serviced correctly?

Cheers

My personal view is that these cars are sufficiently complex that I have no interest in running one without a BMW warranty. That said, everyones attitude to risk is different - I am quite risk averse, you may not be. So, we'll put the warranty argument to one side, unless the lower mileage car is under 60k in which case its worth considering.

If you're going it without a warranty I'm not sure the mileage really makes that much difference and I'd probably tend to lean towards the newer car - what ages are we talking here as there were a couple of useful changes that I'd want to include if buying an F07.

I'd want a car with the later N57TU engine (258bhp), the NBT iDrive system and potentially the facelift.

Associate
Cheers Fox,
The lower mileage car is a 2010 model, whereas the higher mileage model is a 2012.
The lower mileage car is just under the 60k and comes in at £1800 for the full warranty a year.
The 2012 model has reversing camera and HUD on top of the standard spec.
The main things I have heard that go wrong are the rear air suspension units and the pan roof can play up. The 2012 model has full BMW service history as well.

Back
Top Bottom