How do folk with slow 'net download modern games?

Soldato
With physical media all but obsolete, how do those with slow (sub 8mbit/s say) cope with downloading tens of GB?

Can the installer be downloaded to a USB drive at your mates house and taken home?

Soldato
depends on th installer i.e. steam / origin / epic games store ect..
but also depends what you call slow.
if on unlimited data then download over night(s)

i have a master steam disk i update ever so often and then "backup" and "restore the games i want.

Soldato
Steam allows you to download the game and "backup" to cd/dvd.

When I used to live at home, my folks had broadband that used to be around 2mbps download. So I used to download the games on steam when I was staying at the GFs. And then I could "restore" them when I get home and not have to worry about having to download tens of Gb.

Soldato
Bane of my life. Thanks to a **** up by Openreach, which they won't admit to, I'm stuck with a ****** 1MB/s ADSL2+ line and no access to fibre of any flavour, and to really rub it in all the surrounding streets can get fibre. My mate lives around the corner from me, and he enjoys speeds I can only dream of.

Soldato
With physical media all but obsolete, how do those with slow (sub 8mbit/s say) cope with downloading tens of GB?

It's hard to have internet that slow with the 4G coverage being so good these days, unless you are in a black spot for every network, and unlimited data tariffs costing less than some BB connections. I guess maybe a lot of people just don't even think about 4G though, as it is slightly outside of the box thinking.

Associate
It's hard to have internet that slow with the 4G coverage being so good these days, unless you are in a black spot for every network, and unlimited data tariffs costing less than some BB connections. I guess maybe a lot of people just don't even think about 4G though, as it is slightly outside of the box thinking.
Or they live in the countryside not serviced by 4g either

Soldato
Or they live in the countryside not serviced by 4g either

Which I covered with the "unless you are in a black spot for every network" anf I've found some of the best 4G coverage to be in the sticks so to speak.

I set up a client of mine just prior to lock down with a 4G connection, as his sub 1Mbps ADSL wasn't going to cut it for VPN/Zoom for Home office work. We checked the coverage charts, as I have a SIMs from all major networks that I use for speed testing, and ended up going with Three as they could offer 50-80Mbps down and 25+ Mbps upload, where Vodafone, EE, and O2 had at best 20% of that, still an improvement though. :)

Soldato
On my previous terrible sky broadband connection which would manage 8mbps on a good day I’d leave the computer on overnight or longer for big games. 100mbps fibre has been a revelation.

Associate
I just download and wait. I play the same game for months on end, so it's no biggy. I also don't stream 4k, not worth the investment for the hardware right now for me.

Soldato
OP

Good point about 4G, I do have a 4G router, gets ~20-30mbps, but I pay £15/month for 30GB, EE. How good are unlimited offers? Really unlimited or cut the speed after a few GB?

Soldato
Good point about 4G, I do have a 4G router, gets ~20-30mbps, but I pay £15/month for 30GB, EE. How good are unlimited offers? Really unlimited or cut the speed after a few GB?

Most offer truly unlimited now, without restrictions. Best way is just to take 30 day SIM only contacts to test the waters. :)

I've done nearly 1TB in a month with Three before, got a text saying take it easy. :D

Associate
If your place of work has faster internet connections then just download it there.
.... and yes i know ... security... policies ect... but then thats why your the IT boss for the company or at the very least drink with the IT staff regularly..... :D

Soldato

I get 12mb max on every 4g network I've tried in my house. Fortunately I have virgin broadband.

Man of Honour
I've found some of the best 4G coverage to be in the sticks so to speak.

Dunno about the best but I was pleasantly surprised to get around 30/10 on 4G where I'm living at the moment which is in the middle of nowhere - but you don't have to go far from where I live and signal almost drops out entirely.

Really patchy here though - as I've mentioned before - we are 1 of 4 houses in the village that can get FTTC albeit only 30/5 sort of speeds - everyone else gets like 3Mbit ADSL or 1-2MBit on 3/4G - couldn't deal with that these days :(

Soldato
I would just download and wait most of the time. 8GB bf3 update on a 1mbit connection? See you guys tomorrow!

The next day: can't play today as we've been throttled to 128kbits after 4GB for exceeding the fair use policy - we cancelled all payments to them and went BT on the fax line. They made some empty threats which we ignored.

Nowadays I'd use 4G or go somewhere with better internet and a laptop. All launchers allow simple copy and pasting game folders. Get the appmanifest file from steam and it'll immediately register the game as installed.

Don
Bane of my life. Thanks to a **** up by Openreach, which they won't admit to, I'm stuck with a ****** 1MB/s ADSL2+ line and no access to fibre of any flavour, and to really rub it in all the surrounding streets can get fibre. My mate lives around the corner from me, and he enjoys speeds I can only dream of.

Have you got line of sight? Could always get a point to point wifi link to your mate's house and come to some arrangement to share his fibre?

Soldato
Have you got line of sight? Could always get a point to point wifi link to your mate's house and come to some arrangement to share his fibre?
Interesting, how does this work? Is it literally a clear line of sight antenna on each house transmitting the signal?

E: Also (probably shouldnt ask!)

Are you allowed to "sublet" your internet connection?
(I guess you can surely share costs of internet connection e.g. in a houseshare etc?)

Don
Interesting, how does this work? Is it literally a clear line of sight antenna on each house transmitting the signal?

Pretty much - either the Microtik wireless wire, or one of Ubiquiti's products (I've used Litebeam AC Gen2 at work)

E: Also (probably shouldnt ask!)

Are you allowed to "sublet" your internet connection?
(I guess you can surely share costs of internet connection e.g. in a houseshare etc?)

Don't see why not - although obviously the bill payer is responsible for any misuse etc

Back
Top Bottom