How do folk with slow 'net download modern games?

Associate
I could only download at 300KB/s for the last couple years, was a real pain!
Downloading elsewhere (installing the installer on someone elses PC) and copying the files to an external HDD to bring home and copy to same folder on my PC would mostly work for me.

But also, changing my mobile contract to Three on an Unlimited data SIM only deal helped a lot, I could get better speeds. Was great also to use my hotspot for streaming unlimited Netflix in 4K when my adsl couldnt even get me 1080p

Soldato
Bane of my life. Thanks to a **** up by Openreach, which they won't admit to, I'm stuck with a ****** 1MB/s ADSL2+ line and no access to fibre of any flavour, and to really rub it in all the surrounding streets can get fibre. My mate lives around the corner from me, and he enjoys speeds I can only dream of.
1mb :eek:

Think i would go nuts these days if i only had that kind of speed

Even things like netflix needs faster speeds then that
(My AppleTV box alone streams my 4k movies at around 25Mbps)

Associate
Bane of my life also! I can only get 6Mb ADSL where I live and any large downloads would take an eternity. So I decided to go the 4G route with Three unlimited and at the beginning it was pretty good as I was getting anything up to 45Mbs - 55Mbs down on a good day but would average around 35mbs. Now unfortunately I'm lucky if I can get 20mbs but normally it's sub 10Mbs so I'm basically back where I started. The only time I get decent speed is in the early hours of the morning so it basically means my local mast is over saturated! I've kept it though as I work at home and its good to have a back up if either service goes down. It's so annoying as the surrounding streets do have access to FTTC fibre where as we don't but the light at the end of the tunnel is that we are going to have access to FTTP but not until (at the moment) the end of 2021 but its already been pushed back once so it may happen again :(.
I am literally counting the days.....

Soldato
Bane of my life. Thanks to a **** up by Openreach, which they won't admit to, I'm stuck with a ****** 1MB/s ADSL2+ line and no access to fibre of any flavour, and to really rub it in all the surrounding streets can get fibre. My mate lives around the corner from me, and he enjoys speeds I can only dream of.

How many other house are in the same boat, I can see an little business opportunity ;)

A friend bought a really cheap laptop that could run windows 10. Installed clients needed and brought it to work and used work's internet to download the games. Then copied files across when he got home.

Eeek I would be checking with my employer about that one, depending on his companies IT policy that could be a sackable offence!

Soldato
The worst thing about downloading with slow internet is not how long it takes but the fact you can't do anything while it's doing it.
When downloading I can still play online, watch shows etc as well as the GF.

Back
Top Bottom