• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I heard that there might a Captcha, when you place an order to stop the bots from taking them.
Like seriously why
I was just wondering, whats going to be reaction if Nvidia don't put sufficient measures in place to prevent scalpers doing this again when the 3090 and 3070 are released and maybe even when big Navi is released? And should paypal be under the spotlight for giving these individuals the platform to sell on these cards at inflated prices, when they don't actually have these cars yet in most cases, just a a pre-order, they've got to be breaking rule/law surely?
Just a thought:)
Sufficient measure would simply be adding a captcha somewhere in the buying process. But guess they don't care, but apparently they say they do care because they limit 1 order per account. This half step measure is always ****.

Associate
You can really see the difference between the two launches, and the companies behind them.

PS5 launch - available to preorder with some difficulty, but possible. Price is RRP on every website. When retailer runs out of stock it’s no longer possible to buy. In most cases retailers took a nominal deposit or no upfront payment at all. Customer knows that product isn’t due to be released until November, so can relax.

3080 launch - available to order (preorder?) with extreme difficulty. Price rises throughout the day, even during the checkout process for some people, on several stores, who are capitalising on FOMO. When retailer runs out of stock they carry on taking (pre)orders and money up front. Customer has no idea whether they’re going to get a card, where they are on a queue, and how many cards the retailer has, is expecting and/or thinks they can get. Customer annoyed at being exploited.

One of these experiences was challenging, but bearable. The other, wasn’t.

As an aside it’s funny how exchange rates had no bearing on the price of the PS5 at all.
A good summary.
Poor all round from retailers and Nvidia for this launch.

Pet Northerner
Don
And should paypal be under the spotlight for giving these individuals the platform to sell on these cards at inflated prices, when they don't actually have these cars yet in most cases, just a a pre-order, they've got to be breaking rule/law surely?
Just a thought:)

unfortunately there cane be no recourse for resellers / scalpers, it's the whole free market thing. As long as there's willing buyers of an item at a price, then let the fools be parted with their cash.

The pressure needs to be on the manufacturers (nvidia) and the e-sellers to prevent people buying more than one unit during peak release point. Having no Captchas on the UK biggest e-tailer and the official Nvidia webstore is franking amateur and appauling if we're talking about a fair world. However businesses need to make money and to them, they shouldn't have to care about who they sell what to, but I always feels bad as a customer missing out!

The only real solution to scaling is for customers to show a little more backbone in response to an item being OOS and not buying the inflated items. If a scalper ends up with 10k's worth of stuff they can't sell to break even, they'd stop doing it!

FWIW - OCUK changing prices during sales was pretty ******* disgusting if they were doing it to stock being allocated for shipping.

Soldato
You can really see the difference between the two launches, and the companies behind them.

PS5 launch - available to preorder with some difficulty, but possible. Price is RRP on every website. When retailer runs out of stock it’s no longer possible to buy. In most cases retailers took a nominal deposit or no upfront payment at all. Customer knows that product isn’t due to be released until November, so can relax.

3080 launch - available to order (preorder?) with extreme difficulty. Price rises throughout the day, even during the checkout process for some people, on several stores, who are capitalising on FOMO. When retailer runs out of stock they carry on taking (pre)orders and money up front. Customer has no idea whether they’re going to get a card, where they are on a queue, and how many cards the retailer has, is expecting and/or thinks they can get. Customer annoyed at being exploited.

One of these experiences was challenging, but bearable. The other, wasn’t.

As an aside it’s funny how exchange rates had no bearing on the price of the PS5 at all.

Look at the Quest 2 launch that happened on Wednesday for an example of quality.

1. Facebook seem to have already made millions of units and have them waiting in warehouses.

2. Barely any leaks or info or hype until only 2 days before the event.

3. Launched at the keynote, pre orders live immediately for a product delivery mid October.

4. As far as i can see, sites didnt crash.

5. No money taken from my card yet.

Now i know there was probably far higher demand for the 3080 than the Quest 2 but they key is the way it was launched, that you could immediately pre order and critically they have actually manufactured them.

Soldato
Dunno why everyone thinks captchas are the holy grail to stopping bots. They don’t help all that much, certain scripts these days can solve captchas. So it could deter some more basic scripts but not all.

My only concern is OcUK still taking pre-orders and peoples money on these cards when they have an up to 3 month wait time but aren’t advertising that on the website and just leaving it unannounced. Every other UK retailer has removed pre-orders completely due to no stock and more than fulfilling volumes for the coming months. Yet OcUK are happy to keep taking peoples money with no ETA.

But that said, I noticed this morning they have taken off the EVGA and Zotac cards from being purchased. Leads me to believe these are the brands with horrid UK distribution (EVGA is definitely one of them) and aren’t coming in stock anytime soon. So people waiting for any of these cards could be lucky to get one by Xmas. OcUK will likely push these to be cancelled who knows.

This was a poor launch by Nvidia. Especially in comparison to the PS5 launch on the same day, it reflects very badly on Nvidia. I think a lot of us would’ve been happier with 17th being pre-orders and release 1st October or something. Just so it was less of a paper launch and everyone had another 2 weeks to get production and logistics sorted, I believe it would’ve made a huge difference to the quality of the launch.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
FWIW - OCUK changing prices during sales was pretty ******* disgusting if they were doing it to stock being allocated for shipping.

has this been addressed fully yet or they still trying to use the "exchange rate" excuse ? as having worked in retail through multiple console launches iv never seen prices jump up mid way through a store being open, during the time the stores closed and stock has run out and at 9am the following day a couple of times but never mid sale?!

Associate
Is there any chance you'd be willing to share your order number? Could use it to gauge an idea of the queue size from 17th at 2.01pm to 4.51pm, I know it grew roughly 1300 from 3.30pm to 4.51pm from looking at mine and a friends order, but that's only if each order number is individual and increases 1 per order and not just random

Placed my order at 14:28

Order number 586059*

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately there is no comparison to be made between a single manufacturer (Sony) with well established and supplied direct regional distribution in local currency, and Nvidia with their rats-nest of secondary manufacturers zero first-party distribution and multiple 3rd party distribution channels not all in local currency.

Wish it was otherwise though of course...

Pet Northerner
Don
has this been addressed fully yet or they still trying to use the "exchange rate" excuse ? as having worked in retail through multiple console launches iv never seen prices jump up mid way through a store being open, during the time the stores closed and stock has run out and at 9am the following day a couple of times but never mid sale?!

Like I can inderstand prices goign up if you were buying a card for shipping in Oct/ Nov as OCUK will probably be buying stock with your cash and it's you who pays for the higher costing cards (because retailers don;t liek to eat profit - understandable again) - but for stock in hand and paid for? Get outta here!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Like I can inderstand prices goign up if you were buying a card for shipping in Oct/ Nov as OCUK will probably be buying stock with your cash and it's you who pays for the higher costing cards (because retailers don;t liek to eat profit - understandable again) - but for stock in hand and paid for? Get outta here!

not sure if thats happened, and yeah stock being bought later again i understand. but gibbo has stated many times before that he sells stock in batches, so when it was bought at whatever exchange rate, so prices changing on the fly before launch and then during is just damned odd and in my opinion rather dodgy. if he knew how bad the stock was he should have made a post on the ocuk FRONT PAGE a day or two ago stating launch prices will change once stock runs out and then have a set time so people knew if they hadnt bought by say 5pm or whenever they would be charged more. but im not aware of anything of that nature at all prior to the launch.

or hell they could have just pulled the ability to pre order until the friday morning and set the new prices through the night to go live then rather than on the fly muppetry.

Soldato
he should have made a post on the ocuk FRONT PAGE a day or two ago stating launch prices will change once stock runs out and then have a set time so people knew if they hadnt bought by say 5pm or whenever they would be charged more. but im not aware of anything of that nature at all prior to the launch.

Actually he did do that here on the forums at about 1pm on the launch day.

Problem was the first batch sold out instantly then it was a frenzy of site crashes, database failures etc all day long so their system got out of sync.

It was just a silly way to launch the cards overall. If there was barely any stock they should have ran a proper pre order system from the outset and shipped in two weeks minimum to allow stock time to arrive.

Soldato
Just pure speculation here but, as I mentioned in a post earlier, what if the same thing happens with the 3070 next month and maybe the 3090? On top of that, these scalpers might have the 3060 supers, 3070 supers, RDNA2, AND the new Ryzen cpus coming in the near future in their sights. Imagine if they can circumvent any anti-bot software in put place by the retailer/e-tailer assuming capcha software has actually been implemented in the first place. Also, you can bet they've got the new Xbox in their sights also. Now, I might be over thinking the situation here, but it is a possibility that this scenario could occur.
Apparently this "bounce whatever" software was developed basically for the sneakers/trainers market, but is easily adapted for anything else, just the script needs to be edited so I've read, which means anything can be scalped. Just think about the ramifications of that situation, Xmas this year could be an absolute misery for a lot folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom