• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Does the store/business incur any fees for a cancelled order with the payment processor?

I believe PayPal new terms and conditions for business accounts, clearly state they do not refund fees, for cancelled or returned orders, so I paid via PayPal, fee might be 1.9 percent(usual rate is closer to 3 percent) , which based on £699 order will be around £15, if 100 people who paid by PayPal cancelled, it starts to mount up.

£1500 might not sound like a lot, but what is the profit margin on a RTX 3080? If it is say £50 profit, that would be 30 profits down the drain.

All a bit speculative on the figures... But PayPal no longer refund fees for business sellers.

Soldato
I was just wondering, whats going to be reaction if Nvidia don't put sufficient measures in place to prevent scalpers doing this again when the 3090 and 3070 are released and maybe even when big Navi is released? And should paypal be under the spotlight for giving these individuals the platform to sell on these cards at inflated prices, when they don't actually have these cars yet in most cases, just a a pre-order, they've got to be breaking rule/law surely?
Just a thought:)

Associate
I believe PayPal new terms and conditions for business accounts, clearly state they do not refund fees, for cancelled or returned orders, so I paid via PayPal, fee might be 1.9 percent(usual rate is closer to 3 percent) , which based on £699 order will be around £15, if 100 people who paid by PayPal cancelled, it starts to mount up.

£1500 might not sound like a lot, but what is the profit margin on a RTX 3080? If it is say £50 profit, that would be 30 profits down the drain.

All a bit speculative on the figures... But PayPal no longer refund fees for business sellers.
Next post from gibbo
"Due to refunding PayPal fees we had to increase the cost be of card by another £50".

It's the price they will have to pay for taking people's money when they had no stock.

Soldato
awaiting amd to post a pic of Lisa Su sitting on a throne of gpus or images of a warehouse similar to the one in raiders of the lost ark full of stock.

Caporegime
Next post from gibbo
"Due to refunding PayPal fees we had to increase the cost be of card by another £50".

It's the price they will have to pay for taking people's money when they had no stock.

Guaranteed this will happen as gibbo made a post just like this with regards to the ****** quality of monitors and returns i.e. too many people returning for backlight bleed etc.:

Backlight bleed within reason like dead pixels is not a fault, so I guess it depends how they are feeling, LOL. Of course CCR can be used but legally if they believe it is used and cannot be resold they can essentially charge you a restocking fee (upto 25%).

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

Associate
Next post from gibbo

Wow. This is actually scummy. Just don’t use pay pal if it hurts your margins. Don’t punish all your customers.

Associate
I was just wondering, whats going to be reaction if Nvidia don't put sufficient measures in place to prevent scalpers doing this again when the 3090 and 3070 are released and maybe even when big Navi is released? And should paypal be under the spotlight for giving these individuals the platform to sell on these cards at inflated prices, when they don't actually have these cars yet in most cases, just a a pre-order, they've got to be breaking rule/law surely?
Just a thought:)

Here is a good explanation of how the scalping works on Ebay:

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/geforce-rtx-3080-scalpers

Here is a piece on what nVidia say they are doing to remove these orders from bots and scalpers:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nvidia-weeding-out-rtx-3080-bots-and-scalpers-news

Caporegime
Okay I know I'm one of the lucky ones to be getting my 3080 so soon but there's so much salt in here it's unbelievable. The blame for this lies squarely at Nvidias feet. I suspect they rushed this out to stop big navi in its tracks, but I don't believe anyone expected demand to be this high.

I think it’s much higher than Nvidia hoped for but from what Gibbo has said I reckon there was uP to 30,000 people trying to buy less than 300 cards yesterday and that was just on ocuk.

yes that many buyers is amazing but it would have still been a disaster if only 5000 people wanted one if you had less than 300 cards.

Some mayor us retailers said they only got two cards per shop and had hundreds of people queuing over night.

yes it was unprecedented demand but that’s not why any of the mess happened. That fact that there only seems to be around 5000 cards in existing in the world is why their are shortages and price gouging

Associate
I think it would be of benefit for OC to invest into some sort of deposit queue system where the wait is looking to be x months rather than a week or so.

I had a long discussion with friends around pre-ordering and paying the entire fee upfront. It's really not standard good practice anymore to charge 100%. Look to Valve and it's Index. You do not pay until it is extremely close to being ready to ship. Appreciate Valve is vertically integrated and not sure on the legal ramifications for a deposit system in the UK but it makes the most sense to me in this scenario where stock likely won't be in until late October (from the sticky). If the individual then doesn't pay the additional funds they can list the card and sell it normally?

Associate
I'm confused because my order was at 15:31, got the payment receipt. But my order email I got yesterday said my order was placed at 16:31, one hour exactly later.

I'd think it was just the time it took for my order to actually go through if it wasn't exactly an hour later.

Disappointing as I imagine that puts me back in the queue a fair bit! Ah well.

Soldato
I think it would be of benefit for OC to invest into some sort of deposit queue system where the wait is looking to be x months rather than a week or so.

I had a long discussion with friends around pre-ordering and paying the entire fee upfront. It's really not standard good practice anymore to charge 100%. Look to Valve and it's Index. You do not pay until it is extremely close to being ready to ship. Appreciate Valve is vertically integrated and not sure on the legal ramifications for a deposit system in the UK but it makes the most sense to me in this scenario where stock likely won't be in until late October (from the sticky). If the individual then doesn't pay the additional funds they can list the card and sell it normally?

It's only not standard practice with global conglomerates. Pre order on cdkeys for example and they take your money. There's many places I've pre ordered stuff, like 4k Blu-ray's etc, where they take money at point of sale. The best strategy to make sure you don't miss the money until you actually received what you pay for is to put your all pre orders on a 0% interest credit card and pay it off when you get it.

Associate
Next post from gibbo

To be fair you have to give Gibbo points to sticking to the story, next thing will be "Mexican Avacado drought has bought the price of the pound down owing to the fact all Mexican Avacados are now having pay visa entry taxes, sorry guys another 30 quid on the cards........ it's brexit."

Associate
Bought my card exactly 1 minute after launch (14:01) and it hasnt shipped yet.. I think this wait will be longer than people expect lol

Edit: received out of stock email

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share your order number? Could use it to gauge an idea of the queue size from 17th at 2.01pm to 4.51pm, I know it grew roughly 1300 from 3.30pm to 4.51pm from looking at mine and a friends order, but that's only if each order number is individual and increases 1 per order and not just random

Associate
Just to play a little devils advocate here and defend OC in taking peoples money for preorders. As confirmed by their customer services if the price of cards rises you don't pay any more, you get the card at the price you paid. If however the price of the card falls, then OC will refund the difference.

Card and Paypal payments are protected, so in the unlikely even OC were to go bust those payments would be refunded. At the present time interest rates are so low that for the length of time they hold the money virtually nothing would have been earned in interest.

Associate
Is there any chance you'd be willing to share your order number? Could use it to gauge an idea of the queue size from 17th at 2.01pm to 4.51pm, I know it grew roughly 1300 from 3.30pm to 4.51pm from looking at mine and a friends order, but that's only if each order number is individual and increases 1 per order and not just random

Plus, some orders during that time period, might of been for different components, monitors, psus etc

Soldato
Honestly my mistake was going in thinking it was gonna be like the PS5 launch. If I get in quick enough then I'll get one, but if I hang around then I won't.

That was not the case for the 3080 which I think why I and many others were so disappointed.
You can really see the difference between the two launches, and the companies behind them.

PS5 launch - available to preorder with some difficulty, but possible. Price is RRP on every website. When retailer runs out of stock it’s no longer possible to buy. In most cases retailers took a nominal deposit or no upfront payment at all. Customer knows that product isn’t due to be released until November, so can relax.

3080 launch - available to order (preorder?) with extreme difficulty. Price rises throughout the day, even during the checkout process for some people, on several stores, who are capitalising on FOMO. When retailer runs out of stock they carry on taking (pre)orders and money up front. Customer has no idea whether they’re going to get a card, where they are on a queue, and how many cards the retailer has, is expecting and/or thinks they can get. Customer annoyed at being exploited.

One of these experiences was challenging, but bearable. The other, wasn’t.

As an aside it’s funny how exchange rates had no bearing on the price of the PS5 at all.

Associate
I've decided to cancel, I'm going to wait for all the mayhem to pass and order an actual card that exists. Also it'll be interesting to see what gets offered up in the coming months.

Yep put my cancellation in too. Didnt get my order through till 9pm so not sitting there in queue for months.

Need to complete the rest of my new build and will use my trusty 1080 in it for now and come back to the card when things have calmed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom