• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Associate
Palit OC edition here, boosts upto 2100 until it lowers with temps etc, no problems at all here so far, have a Eisblock Aurora waiting to be fitted but waiting on new CPU before I fit as removed 1080ti from the loop and dont want to run it with old coolant for a few weeks before needing to flush refill etc.

For reference its 5 Caps and One group of MLCC.
I love you for this. Please marry me and have my kids. No homo (although there's nothing wrong with being homo).

Soldato
If the boost clocks are not guaranteed on any of these cards then surely the only fair way to review these cards now and in the future is at base clocks ?

Maybe they should go back and re-review all these cards at base clock

Soldato
If the boost clocks are not guaranteed on any of these cards then surely the only fair way to review these cards now and in the future is at base clocks ?

Maybe they should go back and re-review all these cards at base clock

It should have always been about that tbh. Selling overclocking is bad, because it can cost you RMA when there is nothing wrong with your product. They should be reviewed at 1710mhz which is the guaranteed boost clock. Only we know that people cheat reviews. Do you remember that big thing over certain boards allowing chips to boost higher (Asus, IIRC) and thus artificially inflating their speed? There was a big hoo har over that too.

Soldato
I'm sitting tight before I flip out. I'd rather have a card that's over twice as fast as my 980ti and doesn't overclock than cancel

Expect 1710. If it can not do that? you have a reason to return it. Expecting it to boost beyond 2ghz is insane. Even Turing could not do that in all cases.

I would like to see new reviews once this bent firmware is fixed though. But we all know how that goes.....

Soldato
If it's the more expensive ones that are the issue with is the TUF ok with all more expensive?

Other question is are the TUF and the TUF OC identical? All the marketing shots for both versions show the basic 6x SPCAP. All the cards in the wild and out for review appear to be the OC version and have the MLCC layout.

Have to wonder if ASUS worked it out early and made the spec change before mass production.

Associate
Expect 1710. If it can not do that? you have a reason to return it. Expecting it to boost beyond 2ghz is insane. Even Turing could not do that in all cases.

I would like to see new reviews once this bent firmware is fixed though. But we all know how that goes.....
No AIB is going to limit their 3080 to 1710Mhz.

Soldato
From buildzoid video, there's basically nothing that says "spcaps are bad". They have higher impedance and their peak performance is at a lower frequency, making them a little less responsive at higher frequencies compared to MLCCs. MLCCs on the other hand have worse longevity due to the piezo electric effect essentially wiggling the hell out of them all the time they're in use (hence the talk of cracking).

They're both perfectly good components, but the question is how they interact with all the other power regulation on the PCB which is way more complex than most of us are able to figure out even if we had the whole pcb stack diagram in front of us.

So yeah, until someone who actually has all the info says something, I'm withholding judgement.

Associate

This is a weird stance to take and really does not make sense, Why are reviewers and people coming forth in this weird illogical approach to the issue?

It is simple nvidia boost crashes 3000 series cards atm, the most realistic reason so far is the different array of power filtration is this a defect and something that should not be happening? yes and yes, how is it wrong for anyone to complaing about that??

Seems like aib/nvidia have walled up and now certain people are trying to spin this ? i am gonna stay in the que like everyone else atm but honestly if this is a physical board issue that effects all the cards it could make the 3000 series worthless just like the 5700xt.

Will be interesting to see what happens but god knows what month we are gonna get information.

Associate
This is a weird stance to take and really does not make sense, Why are reviewers and people coming forth in this weird illogical approach to the issue?

It is simple nvidia boost crashes 3000 series cards atm, the most realistic reason so far is the different array of power filtration is this a defect and something that should not be happening? yes and yes, how is it wrong for anyone to complaing about that??

Seems like aib/nvidia have walled up and now certain people are trying to spin this ? i am gonna stay in the que like everyone else atm but honestly if this is a physical board issue that effects all the cards it could make the 3000 series worthless just like the 5700xt.

Will be interesting to see what happens but god knows what month we are gonna get information.
Having capacitors that can't handle past 2Ghz clock is not a defect. The boost algorithm letting it go past 2GHz is the defect (amongst certainly other defects in play here).

Soldato
Having capacitors that can't handle past 2Ghz clock is not a defect. The boost algorithm letting it go past 2GHz is the defect (amongst certainly other defects in play here).
Sorry, seen posts like this and your reply to me, it's a defect. The cards are a package... whetehr you ignore it to protect nvidia or not... the AIB's are allowing a none reference and cheap components on HIGH end equipment and theyv'e been caught out, simple as that. If BMW puts out a car and it has a faulty airbag, whether it's made by them or not it's a recall into BMW for the fix etc, they take responsibility, not the air bag company. The AIB's have put cheap capacitors on their cards, it's as simple as that

This is AIB's trying to cut costs, putting cheap parts on the gear and thinking they could get away with it... they allow their cards to boost and without adacute testing, they fail due to not being able to handle the speeds they're allowing their cards to go to.

This is a major manufactoring defect because it's against reference design and corner cutting. believe what you will, the FACT is the cards have a defect, and thus simply putting a BIOS update to limit the boost now, is just a failsafe and hiding a fundamental manufactoring issue. However, if you believe that it's asfotware, fine with me, explain that to someone who's now got a £800 card, that he thought would boost safely because it was manufactored corecttly and now he can't... mmmm yeah, sure he wants that to be a software problem. If those capacitors are 100% to blame, and replacing them with what should've been there in the first place fixes that problem it has jack to do with software. Software BIOS upgrades is simply hiding the flaw.

Soldato
@pugheaven yeah but you're arguing about what is right not about what is cheap which is what these companies will prefer to protect their bottom line. As long as the card boosts to its advertised speed then legally there is nothing wrong.

It doesn't matter to them if you're not happy as long as they're not liable.

Soldato
People who have spent that much money on new hardware may have to make their cards under perform to prevent a crash to desktop. Is this worse than the scandal where cards were advertised as 4GB but there was only 3.5GB on the board?

Back
Top Bottom