• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
1. Console optimisation means developers can get much more performance out of equivalent PC hardware, on consoles. Just look at the graphics on "the last of us part2" - that runs on ancient PS4 hardware, and looks incredible. Imagine how games will look on the next gen consoles, with over 5 times more performance!?!
Don't know about much more, that was in the past, these days it is a little more, but noway near the amount that would bridge the gap between a 3080 and a next gen console. Sure games will look great on consoles, not sure what that has to do with anything though.

2. 3080 has less VRAM than a console. While some will upgrade their 3080's before it becomes a big deal, it must feel quite crappy to buy a 4k GPU and be close to maxed out on VRAM from day one at 4k.
Does not feel crappy to me, I skipped Turding and got not far of double the performance for less money than a RTX 2080. You can also say I got more performance than a 2080Ti for half the price. Both just work :D

By the time 10gb becomes an issue I will be rocking a next gen card with no less than 16gb anyway. Feels great :D

By the way, will be picking up a PS5 in a couple of years once it has a few exclusives and drops in price ;)

3. PS5/Xbox series X will eventually offer more performance than a 3080 will (once developers fully master it) simply due to console optimisation. Though by the time this happens, 4000 series will be out etc.

By then if it ever happens I will be on another graphics card as mentioned ;)

4. People pay £800 extra for 15% performance because they want to. Same for other luxuries in life.

Yes, I know, not sure what that has to do with the point I was making though.

5. There are people buying 3080's (a 4k GPU) still running 1080P, or 1440P, when 2070/2080/2080ti cards can murder both resolutions. That's arguably throwing money away as well - paying £650-850 for a lower resolution experience than a console.
Exactly. So we agree then that 4K will not be mainstream on PC for a some years yet then? :D

Associate

Might need more than 10gb:eek:
GTA V @ 4k with frame scaling at max (2.5)
Everything else up full (8x AA)

It ran less than 10fps:D

Are you surprised?

8xAA means it's rendering at an effective resolution of 30720 x 17280. That in itself takes about 1.5GB of VRAM at least (assuming no alpha channel), and ignores any other buffers you may need.

Permabanned

Might need more than 10gb:eek:
GTA V @ 4k with frame scaling at max (2.5)
Everything else up full (8x AA)

It ran less than 10fps:D

Yep. These whizz-kids still haven't figured out that you will need a better GPU before you need more than the 10GB.

You need to understand a few things as well mate.

1. Console optimisation means developers can get much more performance out of equivalent PC hardware, on consoles. Just look at the graphics on "the last of us part2" - that runs on ancient PS4 hardware, and looks incredible. Imagine how games will look on the next gen consoles, with over 5 times more performance!?!
2. 3080 has less VRAM than a console. While some will upgrade their 3080's before it becomes a big deal, it must feel quite crappy to buy a 4k GPU and be close to maxed out on VRAM from day one at 4k.
3. PS5/Xbox series X will eventually offer more performance than a 3080 will (once developers fully master it) simply due to console optimisation. Though by the time this happens, 4000 series will be out etc.
4. People pay £800 extra for 15% performance because they want to. Same for other luxuries in life.
5. There are people buying 3080's (a 4k GPU) still running 1080P, or 1440P, when 2070/2080/2080ti cards can murder both resolutions. That's arguably throwing money away as well - paying £650-850 for a lower resolution experience than a console.

1. It's not PC hardware. It's Zen/RDNA2 customised by SONY / MS. These customisations are not available for PC.
2. You have to remember that the consoles require memory for both OS+DATA and GAME+DATA which should leave them with ~8-10GB available for graphics.
3. Will never be the case.
4. Paying more for more performance is nothing new.
5. Disagree, especially if you are interested in RT.

Caporegime
Me.:)

For 99.9% of gaming more than 10GB of memory is not needed.

For 00.1% of gaming it is useful to have the extra memory but you are going to be paying a lot of money for it.

Is that 00.1% of cases worth it?
Currently, yes 10GB is not needed, as has been discussed ad nauseum throughout the thread. The next 12-24 months may change this; more complex graphical development and people pushing the envelope may cause VRAM requirements to increase in some major titles and no-one can say otherwise unless they have a crystal ball. 8GB VRAM is already standard even on mid-range cards, so 10GB is hardly a big safety net on a new bleeding-edge generational increase.

As I already said earlier in the thread, I would be fine to pay 20% or so extra for more VRAM, and it does does increase re-sale value, mitigating the costs. When I am spending £700 in the first place then I prefer to have peace of mind and remove that as a potential limiting factor than have to worry about that kind of thing later down the line.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

For 00.1% of gaming it is useful to have the extra memory but you are going to be paying a lot of money for it.

It ain’t and by the time we need more vram we will be on Hopper or Arcturus. Simple.

Soldato
Exactly. So we agree then that 4K will not be mainstream on PC for a some years yet then? :D

Overall gaming - 4K is mainstream once the consoles launch (hundreds of millions of units are coming....)

PC gaming - 4K won't be mainstream as many can't afford it.

Not hard to understand. Consoles will look/play many AAA games better than PC games still at 1080/1440P on a bad quality monitors (bad compared to mass production next gen TV's).

I won't reply further as you appear overly sensitive on the subject and are divorced from reality.

Permabanned
Currently, yes 10GB is not needed, as has been discussed ad nauseum throughout the thread. The next 12-24 months may change this; more complex graphical development and people pushing the envelope may cause VRAM requirements to increase in some major titles and no-one can say otherwise unless they have a crystal ball. 8GB VRAM is already standard even on mid-range cards, so 10GB is hardly a big safety net on a new bleeding-edge generational increase.

As I already said earlier in the thread, I would be fine to pay 20% or so extra for more VRAM, and it does does increase re-sale value, mitigating the costs. When I am spending £700 in the first place then I prefer to have peace of mind and remove that as a potential limiting factor than have to worry about that kind of thing later down the line.

Again, for gaming, you will need a better GPU before you need the extra VRAM.

Buy 10GB card for £700 or 20GB card for £900. Two years later sell 10GB card for £300 or 20GB card for £350. That extra £200 on initial purchase really worked out well :p

Soldato

Judging from the pre-order queues for the 3090's, many appear to think so!

At the end of the day, 3090 is 15-20% more performance over a 3080, irrespective of VRAM. In this lockdown ridden world I'm playing more games than usual, and will appreciate the extra performance on my 4K 120Hz CX48.

A 3090 (at MSRP) is £750 more than a 3080 (at MSRP). Over a 2 year period (before the RTX4000 series likely launch), the 3090 will cost you £31.25 a month. Gaming is my main hobby and I have no problem paying this extra for the best.

Both 3080 and 3090's are amazing cards, though I think Nvidia can see that there's a market for cards with more than 10GB VRAM, hence why a 20GB card is in the works.

Have you played Doom Eternal at 4k Kaap? Which high refresh rate panel are you using to play 4k games? Doom Eternal needs 9GB of actual VRAM (not allocated, dedicated) to run at 4k maxed. Something psychological didn't sit right with me buying a brand new card that was so close to the VRAM limits in a 6 month old game, this also influenced my decision. As you say though, most games will be fine with 10GB for a year or two, though I wouldn't be too sure about the upcoming new console ports.

Caporegime
Speculation, not fact. You absolutely cannot state that no major games within the next 12-24 months will use more than 10GB VRAM, or be unplayable if they do due to lack of GPU power, with anything approaching surety, so please don't claim otherwise.

Soldato

Buy 10GB card for £700 or 20GB card for £900. Two years later sell 10GB card for £300 or 20GB card for £350. That extra £200 on initial purchase really worked out well :p

Most of those arguing in this thread that 10GB is enough are playing at 1080P or 1440P (TNA for example). At these resolutions 10GB is more than enough and is the perfect amount for this card. As such it's rather silly arguing with such a crowd, as they don't understand the issue.

It's at 4K that it becomes questionable, as we already have games that actually need 9GB (Doom Eternal, FS2020).

The 3090 also has an extra 15-20% performance over a 3080, so it's not just the VRAM benefit ;)

Permabanned
Speculation, not fact.

Based on next gen consoles launching with only 16GB total RAM, over 3,000 PC games owned, ~40years of gaming and the majority of gamers not spending £500+ on a GPU.

Now your speculation that 20GB possibly required within the next 1-2 years is based on what?

Are you really happy to lose a chunk of money on resale for that possibly required VRAM?

Perhaps the 3090 would be the better option for you, though you could go all out and grab a 48GB version.

Caporegime
Based on next gen consoles launching with only 16GB total RAM, over 3,000 PC games owned, ~40years of gaming and the majority of gamers not spending £500+ on a GPU.

Now your speculation that 20GB possibly required within the next 1-2 years is based on what?

Are you really happy to lose a chunk of money on resale for that possibly required VRAM?

Perhaps the 3090 would be the better option for you, though you could go all out and grab a 48GB version.
I didn't say that '20GB of VRAM would be needed in games'... I said more than 10GB VRAM might realistically be used within some PC games within the next 12-24 months due to increases in graphical fidelity etc. The only 3080 with more than 10GB VRAM will be the 20GB version. Otherwise, it's a 6900XT with 16GB VRAM.

If you are going to try and debate a point based on what someone has written at least please try and do it accurately and in context.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Overall gaming - 4K is mainstream once the consoles launch (hundreds of millions of units are coming....)

PC gaming - 4K won't be mainstream as many can't afford it.

Not hard to understand. Consoles will look/play many AAA games better than PC games still at 1080/1440P on a bad quality monitors (bad compared to mass production next gen TV's).

I won't reply further as you appear overly sensitive on the subject and are divorced from reality.
Lol. Triggered :D

You do not even address what is being said but say the same thing over and over. Console console console.

Most of those arguing in this thread that 10GB is enough are playing at 1080P or 1440P (TNA for example). At these resolutions 10GB is more than enough and is the perfect amount for this card. As such it's rather silly arguing with such a crowd, as they don't understand the issue.

It's at 4K that it becomes questionable, as we already have games that actually need 9GB (Doom Eternal, FS2020).

The 3090 also has an extra 15-20% performance over a 3080, so it's not just the VRAM benefit ;)
I have been gaming at 4K since 2014 actually...

Oh and most people on PC game at 1080p and 1440p so it is very relevant? And you say I am divorced from reality. Lol

3090 is out and we can see 3080 runs every game out there fine with it’s 10gb as performance never tanks. By the time we need more vram on more than a handful of games I will have moved on to a next gen card ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Speculation, not fact.

I didn't say that '20GB of VRAM would be needed in games'... I said more than 10GB VRAM might realistically be used within some PC games within the next 12-24 months due to increases in graphical fidelity etc. The only 3080 with more than 10GB VRAM will be the 20GB version. Otherwise, it's a 6900XT with 16GB VRAM.

If you are going to try and debate a point at least please try and do it accurately.

So how much VRAM are we going to need?

Again, what is this speculation based on?

Again, why not buy a 3090?

Caporegime

So how much VRAM are we going to need?

Again, what is this speculation based on?

Again, why not buy a 3090?
So because I think that 10GB may not be enough for the entire generation, based on some games using 80% or more of this amount already, you're asking me how 'much VRAM we will need' like I would know, or need to know, the exact figure? Also 'why I don't buy a 3090'... when there is a 20GB 3080 that will be released later this year for around 50% cheaper while still having around 90% of the performance at 4k? Your questions are so illogical and childish that it's not worth wasting my time replying to them in any detail. Lets agree to disagree. :)

Permabanned
So because I think that 10GB may not be enough for the entire generation, based on some games using 80% or more of this amount already, you're asking me how 'much VRAM we will need' like I would know, or need to know, the exact figure? Also 'why I don't buy a 3090'... when there is a 20GB 3080 that will be released later this year for around 50% cheaper while still having around 90% of the performance at 4k? Your questions are so illogical and childish that it's not worth wasting my time replying to them in any detail. Lets agree to disagree. :)

Yeah right :rolleyes:

Soldato
I went from 27" 1440P to 48" 4K and never looked back. As long as you can be far enough away from it, it's great. Resolution wise, I see a big image quality difference. Everything is sharper.

I think the ideal size for me would be 40-43", though sadly you can't buy a good IPS/OLED that size. If you could it would cost double the CX48. Mass production brings the price of the CX48 right down.

I keep seeing the LG recommended... I currently game at 27" 1440p and looking at 4k with the next gen GPUs..

You mind showing me your set up? I'm intrigued as to how far you sit away from your screen to make a 48" work. I currently sit just shy of 2ft away... could push it to 3ft if I wall mount a screen... just doesn't seem to be far enough... maybe my brain just can't comprehend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom