• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seen quite a few back and forth talk online about 10GB cutting it a bit short, others saying it's fine. Usage at 1440p is less than 4K but there is still a few games where usage goes just above 10GB.

So do we think the rumours of extra cards with 20GB will be there to pre-order with the other cards? Or are they waiting to see what AMD does?

Soldato
We really need to go through this again?

It’s really hard to see how much VRAM games require considering there’s a load of caching going on, usage does not equal need.
It’s real obvious when you do hit the limit though, performance drops through the floor and I don’t believe we’ve got there yet.

So yes, it’s most likely going to be fine for at least a few years. Keep an eye on the 3070 at 4K in reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
No it isn't.

A 2080ti has 11GB of RAM. The 3080 is faster therefore it can utilise extra RAM if it has it.

Recently a developer from ID software mentioned that 8GB is the minimum VRAM for upcoming games regardless of resolutions. (Could someone please post a link I can't find it now)

The consoles are designed to get maximum performance for minimum cost. Lets say they can only dedicate 10 of 16 GB of GDDR6 to VRAM. Do you honestly think they would give these consoles more VRAM than the GPUs could handle? It would be a waste of money if they did. But not only did they give them all that VRAM they also developed streaming technology to get data from the SSD to the VRAM as quickly as possible, which increase trhe effective VRAM because you can Cache less data. Do you honestly think that MS and Sony would waste money developing this feature if it didn't offer any performance benefits outside of taking loading times down from 2 seconds to 1.6 seconds (random numbers but you get the point)?
The 3080 is more powerful than the console GPUs.

If you plan on upgrading in 2 years time then yes it is enough because games will probably only start to push the limits by then. However if you intend on skipping a generation it will start to struggle IMO.

Permabanned
It depends on whether or not you believe Nvidia gave the 2080ti extra RAM just for the sake of it.
We dont need to bealive anythong its a FACT. Had to give something extra for loads of extra cash they wanted for it :D 11gb is plebs got 12 on my pascal titan and does not make any differance and I game on 4k.
You also forget pc also has normal ram.

Associate
It depends on whether or not you believe Nvidia gave the 2080ti extra RAM just for the sake of it.
No it doesn't. The speed of a GPU and the amount of VRAM it has are independent.

A 6GB 2080Ti would have been just as fast until a game required more. The reason faster cards tend to have more VRAM is a matter of user expectation and economics. More VRAM on lower end cards would be disproportionately expensive.

Soldato
We dont need to bealive anythong its a FACT. Had to give something extra for loads of extra cash they wanted for it :D 11gb is plebs got 12 on my pascal titan and does not make any differance and I game on 4k.
You also forget pc also has normal ram.
The reason it hasn't made a difference is because current gen consoles have held us back due to the low amount of RAM in the system.

What has normal RAM got to do with this?

No it doesn't. The speed of a GPU and the amount of VRAM it has are independent.

A 6GB 2080Ti would have been just as fast until a game required more. The reason faster cards tend to have more VRAM is a matter of user expectation and economics. More VRAM on lower end cards would be disproportionately expensive.
And games will be getting more complex and requiring more VRAM and GPUs will need the horsepower to push these more complex games along with enough VRAM to keep up.

Soldato
Afaik they're not doing 20 GB cards with this launch, but rather it's more likely next year.

Is it enough? As always - it depends. On the game. On the settings. On the scene (eg Cities see sky-high vram usage in Flight Sim, but other areas not so much). On the action (how fast you're going through new scenery & therefore how much you can hold in memory & swap between) etc.

I know for a fact that 8 GB is not enough at 4K. Not in all titles, and not in all titles is it a big deal (eg freezing rather than more common stutters), but in plenty. Doom Eternal? Murders 8 GB. The Wolfenstein games with streaming turned up? Same. COD? Sure. Greedfall? Yup. The Division 2? Stutters for sure. Far Cry 5 w/ HDTP? Absolutely. MSFS 2020? We already know. Shadow of War? Worse off. Skyrim mods? You betcha. VR? Oh boy. And so on, and so forth.

Now, in those cases 10 GB would be enough but it would skirt right at the edge of going into 'let's see some stutters' territory. For new games going forward? Who knows. If they're RTX-IO/DirectStorage optimised, I'm hopeful, but that alone won't solve the need for more vram, just alleviate it. DLSS would also be a massive help but again, not something you can rely on to always be there. Like id Engine's lead programmer says: 8 GB is the new MINIMUM. You wish to turn up everything & enjoy? Better pucker up because 10 GB ain't worth jack.

Fundamentally I'm okay with 10 GB overall for 2 years. I would absolutely not be okay with it if I intended to keep it for longer. And knowing there are cards with 16 GB/20 GB coming out in the next few months? Really hard to stomach buying a 10 GB card at the high-end for the long haul. If I weren't currently stuck with a 480 I'd probably be more inclined to wait. I really think AMD's gonna make Nvidia work for their cut this year.

Associate
Afaik they're not doing 20 GB cards with this launch, but rather it's more likely next year.

Is it enough? As always - it depends. On the game. On the settings. On the scene (eg Cities see sky-high vram usage in Flight Sim, but other areas not so much). On the action (how fast you're going through new scenery & therefore how much you can hold in memory & swap between) etc.

I know for a fact that 8 GB is not enough at 4K. Not in all titles, and not in all titles is it a big deal (eg freezing rather than more common stutters), but in plenty. Doom Eternal? Murders 8 GB. The Wolfenstein games with streaming turned up? Same. COD? Sure. Greedfall? Yup. The Division 2? Stutters for sure. Far Cry 5 w/ HDTP? Absolutely. MSFS 2020? We already know. Shadow of War? Worse off. Skyrim mods? You betcha. VR? Oh boy. And so on, and so forth.

Now, in those cases 10 GB would be enough but it would skirt right at the edge of going into 'let's see some stutters' territory. For new games going forward? Who knows. If they're RTX-IO/DirectStorage optimised, I'm hopeful, but that alone won't solve the need for more vram, just alleviate it. DLSS would also be a massive help but again, not something you can rely on to always be there. Like id Engine's lead programmer says: 8 GB is the new MINIMUM. You wish to turn up everything & enjoy? Better pucker up because 10 GB ain't worth jack.

Fundamentally I'm okay with 10 GB overall for 2 years. I would absolutely not be okay with it if I intended to keep it for longer. And knowing there are cards with 16 GB/20 GB coming out in the next few months? Really hard to stomach buying a 10 GB card at the high-end for the long haul. If I weren't currently stuck with a 480 I'd probably be more inclined to wait. I really think AMD's gonna make Nvidia work for their cut this year.

I think Jensen has already cut AMD off at the knees, he will of left them with a very slim profit margin to work with.

Let's be honest, Jensen surprised everyone.

Soldato
How does DLSS affect things? If people are rendering at lower resolutions and upscaling does that require less VRAM?
Yup. Even makes 8K attainable on a budget.
9532_105_death-stranding-benchmarked-how-does-hideo-kojimas-game-run-at-8k_full.png

Soldato
I don't feel it is, the io swapping maybe better with a bigger vram amount too

Benchmarks will tell us more I guess, interested in fs2020 performance

Soldato

Eh? The speed of a GPU core and the amount of memory are independent of each other.

As for any talk about consoles and comparisons to this gen of video cards - again it's irrelevant. Consoles have a unified memory architecture - they're trading one off against the other. PCs with these cards have separate system memory and VRAM.

Soldato
Wont be surprised if the new cards have improved memory optimization better compression etc to make do with lower memory capacity and even bandwidth.
Been seen on previous nvidia generations where a card with slower and less quantity of ram outperform the prior card that has more memory and bandwidth.

Soldato
Surely game developers will just use lower qualiy textures etc to ensure they stay below 10Gb.

Just like when CPUs were stagnated, game developers held back until core counts increased.

Game developers have been adjusting to the changing specs of home computers for the last 30 years. Dont worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom