• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seen quite a few back and forth talk online about 10GB cutting it a bit short, others saying it's fine. Usage at 1440p is less than 4K but there is still a few games where usage goes just above 10GB.

So do we think the rumours of extra cards with 20GB will be there to pre-order with the other cards? Or are they waiting to see what AMD does?

Soldato
OP
For me it's probably less of a thing to be worried about, being at 1440p I just care about having enough vram but plenty of grunt to fetch 60>FPS on a high refresh screen.
But having some vram spare is obviously better than cutting it very close.

No it isn't.

A 2080ti has 11GB of RAM. The 3080 is faster therefore it can utilise extra RAM if it has it.

Recently a developer from ID software mentioned that 8GB is the minimum VRAM for upcoming games regardless of resolutions. (Could someone please post a link I can't find it now)

Think it was John Carmack who supposedly said 8GB will be the minimum going forward, anyone have the link?

Soldato
OP
Not a good thing when you worry about 10GB being enough for 1440p use. Not much one can do, either buy or wait for cards with more vram.

It's annoying though because I am almost certain that if stock even initially seems good I think these might sell out, more so because of the current situation..

So you buy one hoping 10GB is enough or potentially miss out for a little while.

Soldato
OP
1440p@144 with maxed settings and m&kb sounds much nicer than 4k@30 with console settings and a crappy gamepad.
Yep I can afford a 4k screen but choose not to get one for gaming, frame rates will certainly not be there for those who prefer it with high refresh rates. For games like Cyberpunk high chance I'd bet on it.

Who cares if consoles get 4k when the majority of demanding stuff is likely to be 30fps, and as you stated I much prefer keyboard and mouse to a controller, sure they are good for certain games but not shooters for one which I mostly play anyway.

Soldato
OP
Couple of years on 1080P/1440P sounds very boring to me. You'd be better off with one of the new consoles, at least they are 4k.
So you say this and then:
Can't wait to play at more than 100FPS on my CX48!
Which has similar pixel density to a smaller 1440p monitor..

maxresdefault.jpg

Plus no chance I'd bet of getting anywhere near 100FPS in Cyberpunk at 4k and similarly demanding games, but each to his own

Soldato
OP
Screen of that size would be way too big for me being that close, guess it's ok for slower paced games but i enjoy my FPS too much for that.

I also see new rumours of a 20GB card, at this rate these will be revealed officially before i even get my 3080!

Oh well, Zen 3 show today!

Soldato
OP
You get used to it within a few hours, trust me. The difference seems huge because of the side-by-side but you'll quickly use it and it will feel normal.
Too big to be that close, no chance of adjusting to that within a few hours.. weeks maybe, even then it's still far too big to be that close to it. I agree with what Richdog said. Need to see the whole screen without moving your head around ideally. I would not enjoy playing shooters like that no matter how immersive it might seem at first

Soldato
OP
I am feeling like I might cancel my 3080 order, 10GB feels slightly skimpy in light of AMD's cards having 16GB, but my 1440p 165hz gsync screen has about the best motion clarity in a monitor, so I don't want to change it either..

Maybe if I do cancel I can wait and see if Nvidia release any more cards with more vram at least.

Soldato
OP
With that screen it's a no brainer, 165 frames synced to perfection @ 1440p? Also DLSS which is becoming more widely adopted now?, don't let the 10GB brigade get in your head, these are features you can make use of right now, and tbh at your resolution your should be more than fine, hand of heart I would rather have g-sync with a slower card than a faster card without it, it makes games feel like butter wouldn't melt.
Yeah but I'm wondering if i can run high frame rates anyway would it matter that much? I suppose i can just turn off gsync now and see how it runs, if i don't like it then stick with Nvidia. It's disappointing though, potentially better perf with AMD and more vram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom