• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I don't know arrangements with suppliers but unlike OcUK a lot of places don't take money on pre-orders until stock is ready to despatch.
Most major online stores except Bezoz's crew seem to take money the moment you order. In the end, when making an order you are making a commitment and contractual obligation to purchase something and get your place in the queue. Otherwise, you get a ton of speculative orders which are made and cancelled on a whim which is a nightmare for any seller.

I have no problem with money being charged in advance, the main problem I have is with stores inflating their prices way above rrp for pre-orders. That is to me the unethical part.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
You do relise the next gen consoles have only 16GB of RAM total? Most PC gamers will upgrade to a 3060 or equivelent. The next few years will see RT being pushed even more, which the 3080 currently just about manages at 1440p. We already need faster GPUs today. Bring on Hopper or AMDs RDNA3 ASAP, I will be upgrading again.

A good example of why we need more capable GPUs ASAP -

Ha, ha, those fools buying a 3060 or 3070... Do they not realise that it is already a paperweight with < 10GB vram, and their rigs will immediately explode if they try to run FS2020 or Doom Eternal :rolleyes::p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Horizon ZD seems to run at constant 10GB usage at 4k, but runs nice and smooth. How can we tell if a title needs the max or is coded to make full use of what's available?

You will know when fps tanks and it ain’t smooth.

Too many people let stats spoil things for them. What makes me laugh is games from a few years ago like Final Fantasy 15 were using up nearly all my 12gb on my Titan XP, did that mean people on 1080Ti’s with their 11gb were getting a horrible experience? Must have been unplayable for the poor sods on a 1080 with only their 8gb. Lol.

Soldato
You will know when fps tanks and it ain’t smooth.

It tanked earlier in the game but that was with lots of characters during a battle and heavy rain/storm. I didn't notice high memory usage at the time as I don't have the FPS counter on constantly. With the few titles I've played since owning the card, I haven't really noticed any performance issues.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It tanked earlier in the game but that was with lots of characters during a battle and heavy rain/storm. I didn't notice high memory usage at the time as I don't have the FPS counter on constantly. With the few titles I've played since owning the card, I haven't really noticed any performance issues.
Trust me, if 10gb was not enough it would have been shown on all the reviews out there. It ain’t an issue in all the games out now. Even the likes of Kaapstad who has had 24gb Titan for a couple of years says it is fine.

We obviously do not know how many games will come out between now and the release of hopper that will want more than 10gb. But I am betting it won’t be more than a handful and from those how many will be games you would buy anyway? Absolute worst case scenario here is having to turn down texture down one notch in those instances. No big deal for me personally as I do not intend on keeping the card long term.

Soldato
Nice find, I've rerun the same area. The mem value on the left is what AB would normally report and the value on the right is the actual usage.

Would you be able to re run this in a less VRAM demanding area? For example in a cave system (reasonabley far from the entrance), or an area of the map that is more sparsely populated. I am curious to see if the difference in the two values remains constant or if it increases when moving to areas of the map that require less VRAM.

Soldato
Would you be able to re run this in a less VRAM demanding area? For example in a cave system (reasonabley far from the entrance), or an area of the map that is more sparsely populated. I am curious to see if the difference in the two values remains constant or if it increases when moving to areas of the map that require less VRAM.

Sure, I'll upload in a bit.

Caporegime
Nice find, I've rerun the same area. The mem value on the left is what AB would normally report and the value on the right is the actual usage.
Wow, almost 9GB already in a port of a 2 year old game... is that including cached (not actively used what is on screen) VRAM though? If not then for future PS5 ports at 4k max settings we could easily be looking at over 10GB.

PS: Thanks for taking the time to run it!

Soldato
Wow, almost 9GB already in a port of a 2 year old game... is that including cached (not actively used what is on screen) VRAM though? If not then for future PS5 ports at 4k max settings we could easily be looking at over 10GB.

You haven't read the article I posted.

It is saying that the new consoles will be holding less in vram and streaming more from ssd.

Link.

Caporegime
You haven't read the article I posted.

It is saying that the new consoles will be holding less in vram and streaming more from ssd.

Oh no... I didn't read the article you posted? My sincere apologies. Please post some more and I will get on them right away, the longer the better. :p

On a more serious note, the PC doesn't have the same IO architecture as the very specifically-designed PS5, so I would assume (semi-edumacated guess) that they wouldn't be able to port it to run in exactly the same way and so an effect of that could well be more VRAM usage? :)

Last edited:
Permabanned

8GB = 8192MB
9GB = 9216MB

1GB=1024MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom