• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Any of this directed at me? I have used both methods and in between done two BIOS updates, but have been manually overclocking since 1999.
You are clearly stupid for doing so. Anyone who manually overclocks is stupid apparently. Why do that when you can pay for the extra performance, right? Imagine all the free time you end up with which you can use productively on a forum arguing about it all? Too funny. Then he says I am clutching at straws. Icing on the cake that :p:D

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
After my initial testing I concluded two thing:

1) my cpu is crap silicon, bronze at best
2) this tool backs up why I stopped manually faffing. I got higher scores in CB than the tool but who knows if it was really stable on my settings.

As Ryzen and some other components these days are near their limits, manually overclocking is not an art like it once was. That being said I do not have anywhere near enough free time to tinker like I once did.

My memory is also only rated for 3333 Mhz so I probably cant push it to the IF peak although it is a Samsung B die.

Soldato
People, when do you think the 5900x will be equivalent to the 6600k?

By which I mean - until recently I was in a 6600k and was going to upgrade this generation because most things were bottlenecked by the CPU. So I had that chip around 4.5-5 years before it no longer held up in gaming.

How long do we reckon until the 5900x again reaches that same point?

Edit to add: Because I'm weighting up a very long life Vs high price

I'm not sure that is a good comparison as the 6600K was only a 4c4t part and there are older chips such as mine which are probably holding up better due to more cores/threads. Ultimately I would think you would get 5 years *at least* out of a 5900X but who knows if things may go in a different direction?

Soldato
Absolutely mental by Asus, was just about to pull trigger for a B450 for nephews first ever PC build and now this. Will be going with different brand now cause this. Shame that their customer service and all that lets them down when their products are good.

Caporegime
I'm not sure that is a good comparison as the 6600K was only a 4c4t part and there are older chips such as mine which are probably holding up better due to more cores/threads. Ultimately I would think you would get 5 years *at least* out of a 5900X but who knows if things may go in a different direction?
Yeah but you paid more for it. People always seem to forget that the initial outlay is important too :p.

Associate
Are we expecting the Zen3 launch to be as much of a ****-show as Ampere, or are stock levels anticipated to be, even remotely, decent?

Associate
That's good to know. I'm currently sitting on a half-built system (see signature) with a Zen2 3600XT still in the box and a 3090 GPU on order. There's a good chance that due to nVidia's ****-up of a launch I'll be able to get my hands on a Zen3 CPU before my GPU arrives, in which case my plan to buy the 3600XT as a 'stop-gap' has completely backfired! :mad:

Caporegime
Any of this directed at me? I have used both methods and in between done two BIOS updates, but have been manually overclocking since 1999.

Manual overclocking was worthwhile back in the day. The comments were directed at TNA who doesn't understand the difference between the two.

I manually overclocked a gpu way back in the day and I used software to unlock 2 pipes that had been software blocked so I managed to get a £300 gpu for £120 after clocking and software modding. That was over 20 years ago when I was a kid at high school.

I also manually overclocked my 2500k because that went from good to crazy speeds with overclocking.

However I never bothered with Ryzen as it was already very well tuned from the factory. It was pointless spending 3 days to get an 50mhz and stability.whereas with the 2500k I got an extra 900+ MHz so was worth the effort.

Now I can click a button.so it would be stupid not to.

I'm saying that for the majority software overclocking is quick, easy , safe and it undervolts too and because it can analyse each individual core it's probably better longer term in terms of stability and voltages.

I know the 2500k needed a bit more power to be stable after 5+ years of overclocking.

TNA is having issues with differentiation between the two.

I'm saying manual overclocking in my opinion is pointless. Especially since it gives minimal gains for the time and effort involved.

Clicking a button though. That's progress and easy.

Associate
Yeah but you paid more for it. People always seem to forget that the initial outlay is important too :p.
Agreed. The 6600k was a compromise - was about half the price of the 6700k at the time. Made the build possible.

Now I'm in a position to spend whatever... but I don't think that the 5950x buys much more longevity than the 5900x, really. If the new limit is single thread, it's only slightly better. If it's multicore, is only 33% better - and I don't see that being enough to save it. If it's some new instructions it lacks, neither will have them.

So yeah, it's all about the 5900x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom