Your experience with OLED burn-in

Associate
Just got my 55b7 back from Curry's. Was taken away for repair after having the Good Morning Britain logo of death burnt into it. Had the 5 year warranty and been returned with what looks to be a brand spanking 2019 panel on it, had to peel the cellophane off. Not a bad word to say about Curry's and their warranty.

Is this with care and repair?

Thanks

Associate
I'd be interested to see how this goes - I have the same model of TV bought from Currys. Please keep us posted.
Received this message on Knowhow repair site:

"Our repair experts have finished fixing your kit and it's ready to return to you. It'll be delivered to the address shown above on Thu 10th September."

I hope they have fixed whatever was wrong. Fingers crossed for Thursday!

Soldato

"Our repair experts have finished fixing your kit and it's ready to return to you. It'll be delivered to the address shown above on Thu 10th September."

It has probably been replaced with a new panel.

Soldato

Excellent hope it works out

Associate
It has probably been replaced with a new panel.

TV returned today (after 10 days). Screen replaced per Repair doc. Screen also had a film to show it is a new screen. Tested for issues I had with lines on Yellow and Red backgrounds. All clear. Excellent service fro LG / Currys.

Associate
I have to say Currys for me have been spot on,
Had burn in on a lg c7 they picked it up Friday I got it back on Tuesday brand new screen fitted, very happy with their service.

Soldato
I noticed on my 48CX last weekend that about a third of the way in from the right side, there's a 2-inch strip that runs up the screen where the grey is very slightly darker than the grey around it. I've only noticed it whilst playing The Last of Us 2 and haven't had the time to try and replicate it on another source, input, cable. However, reading through the people discussing banding, I have to say I've never noticed it on mid-to-bright scenes at all. I'm finding this thing deeply impressive and cannot wait until the new consoles are out.

Soldato
I noticed on my 48CX last weekend that about a third of the way in from the right side, there's a 2-inch strip that runs up the screen where the grey is very slightly darker than the grey around it. I've only noticed it whilst playing The Last of Us 2 and haven't had the time to try and replicate it on another source, input, cable. However, reading through the people discussing banding, I have to say I've never noticed it on mid-to-bright scenes at all. I'm finding this thing deeply impressive and cannot wait until the new consoles are out.

Its banding.
It affects 5% grey scale colours or around there.

TLOU2 REALLY exacerbates it so if you only have noticed it once on there, you're lucky.

Associate
Thought I would chip in with my experience with LG and burn-in. You can see how bad mine is, below. This is a B7 at 2 years old. Raised to LG around 1 and a half years after buying.

There are 4 separate instances of burn in, not including the blob in the middle. The 4 logos are Nickelodeon (bottom right), Good morning Britain (bottom left), You Tube from my NVIDIA Shield home screen (top left). Each should take thousands of hours to achieve this level of burn in, apparently. Which I can assure you has not been the case.

LG's response to this has made me angry. You can clearly see this is bad. All we have done is watch TV on the unit, which if I'm not mistaken is it's primary task. We have been told "electronics break" and we have not been using the TV correctly, like this was my fault!! They want £200 to fix it, which is a damn cheek. I complained to Richer Sounds about the experience and they have kindly said they would pay the £200 cost. They also said this is really common on LG sets they sell.

Now, LG aren't repairing TV's due to COVID and we're stuck watching grey faces all the time. Yayy!! [/sarcasim]

Safe to say, this is my last time buying LG, which is a shame as the TV is brilliant when it works.

PpHohFm.jpg

Soldato
Yikes. I don't watch much TV so I'm not so worried, but it makes me seriously think twice about getting one as a monitor (which I was considering).

Soldato
The 4 logos are Nickelodeon (bottom right), Good morning Britain (bottom left), You Tube from my NVIDIA Shield home screen (top left). Each should take thousands of hours to achieve this level of burn in, apparently. Which I can assure you has not been the case.
but you must be able to calculate precisely how many of the total hours have actually been taken watching GMB for example, and whether Nick or shield have had similar usage.
eg. I know radio four is on from 6-8am at least 5 days a week.

V F

V F

Soldato
but you must be able to calculate precisely how many of the total hours have actually been taken watching GMB for example, and whether Nick or shield have had similar usage.
eg. I know radio four is on from 6-8am at least 5 days a week.

It looks like the kids has been hammering nickelodeon hard. GMB is blurred, still very visible though but look at that nick logo.

Soldato
The series 7 panels are more prone to burn-in than newer panels, I baby my W7 and have some very minor burn in but nothing like Techno_Vikings. I've got some vertical banding but it's only noticeable when you have a large flat area of colour (think pixar films or blue skies) and even then it's not that bad.

At some point I'll go for a C/G/W X model but waiting for a cracking deal to come up over here in NZ.

Soldato
( Indeed - maybe burnin problems have increased during covid restrictions ... how much did viewing hours go up )

Regardless of viewing habits, it's really not on for a TV to not be able to be a TV without damaging itself. In the summer I'll usually have the cricket on non-stop during test matches, seems like that sort of viewing isn't compatible with LG's OLED panels.

Back
Top Bottom