• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Stock of MSI is expected at a competitor this week so hopefully OC will be getting some of said stock and it will be more than the 7 cards last week.
Wishing everyone luck on getting cards in the next 7 days.

I hope so. As much as I expected stock to be low at launch and start of this month as we were told, lasts weeks MSI showing was quite the shocker for me personally being it's the card I have ordered. Especially after 2 weeks of nothing on there end, then 7(?) cards.
Trying to stay hopeful for everyone's sake. I do hope this week sees much better on all fronts.

Associate
Trying to stay hopeful for everyone's sake. I do hope this week sees much better on all fronts.

I remain hopeful, but not for this week.

The week after I'd hope to see more happening but the real numbers will not be in the channel before November in my opinion.

Associate
I don't understand why they can't get this information tbh. There is someone along the chain who just doesn't care enough to do their job.

My understanding is brand factories send to distributors, and distributors send to OCUK. I don't know how many distributors are in that chain but that's irrelevant tbh. It just seems so weird that apparently, one of the following situations is happening:

Gibbo asks distributors how many cards they'll have for OCUK this week. distributor has no idea because the cards just apparently come randomly with absolutely no warning from the factory, or
distributor asks factory how many cards they'll make this week, and factory has no idea and it's just however many the workers feel like making.

Neither of these make sense? The factory will know it's output volumes, with a small margin of error for things that fail QA or when the line has to stop for some reason. They can still get a rough estimate, divide that number up amongst the distributors, and say "you'll get this many cards next week". Distributors can pass that info on to retailers, and retailers to us. It's really not rocket science? So it's not that the information is unavailable it's just someone somewhere along the chain being lazy with it. And considering we've seen retailers in the UK stating potentially a week or more in advance when cards are due, and retailers in the EU even saying the exact figures, it does seem like OCUK are either not passing the info to us, or not pressing to get the info.

This is especially true for cards that AREN'T coming right now. It just feels like Gibbo calls the distributor, says "hey you got this card? no? ok cool bye". Press for info, why don't they have the card? Will they get the card next week? It's just the absolute void of info that makes it seem like OCUK don't actually care, they have our money that's all that matters.

Associate
I think the email with our queue update is good but would be nice to get at least one or two a week, even if no stock has shipped, something is better than nothing for weeks.

Associate
Half of the range of cards are coming via distribution, the other half are direct order with the OEMs themselves. So if OCUK have ordered say Gigabyte with the Far East and another retailer orders via distribution, that might mean OCUK have to wait longer, but get a larger consignment, but cannot then give the detailled information competitors can.
On the distributor supplied cards, they are at the mercy of largely EU based offices which are splitting up cards to supply the whole of Europe, and whilst they might get some, they also might not as well. Far easier for a distributor to give a time indication when product leaves the far East en route and they know quantities in advance and how they will split them, before they even arrive.

Soldato
On that specific point, Gibbo was clear enough that the majority of orders would not be fulfilled within 3 weeks, but he was expecting things to be much better within 3 months.

Problem is nobody is happy with that as an answer, everyone wants details about the delivery of a specific version of a particular card and is it 3,4,5,6,7,8... weeks away.

Expecting things to be better in 3 months means what exactly? It's just fluff to keep people off his back. You're telling me he doesn't have the contacts to find out when Asus will be sending OCUK enough stock to fulfill orders? I'm sorry but it's a load of crap. If it isn't, why won't they just tell us? I sell products that are on 10+ week lead times and we always communicate to the customer why this is, and when we expect the goods etc as they're spending thousands with us. The competition can give rough ETAs on shipments but OCUK can't? Like I've said I really don't give a hoot about a wait as I don't need the card right now but I'd like to know what my £700 is doing, don't get why that is hard to compute.

Associate
Expecting things to be better in 3 months means what exactly? It's just fluff to keep people off his back. You're telling me he doesn't have the contacts to find out when Asus will be sending OCUK enough stock to fulfill orders? I'm sorry but it's a load of crap. If it isn't, why won't they just tell us? I sell products that are on 10+ week lead times and we always communicate to the customer why this is, and when we expect the goods etc as they're spending thousands with us. The competition can give rough ETAs on shipments but OCUK can't? Like I've said I really don't give a hoot about a wait as I don't need the card right now but I'd like to know what my £700 is doing, don't get why that is hard to compute.

"rough ETAs on shipments"? There's rough and there's pretty much zero information being expanded into something it simply isn't! How about EVGA across 5 cards expected 21 - 23rd Oct. It doesn't actually tell you anything at all. Doesn't say which cards what the split will be what the numbers will be or what they will do when they don't actually arrive! This information is meaningless! It could be one card or a thousand. That's not keeping people informed, it's actually keeping people misinformed.

Associate
"rough ETAs on shipments"? There's rough and there's pretty much zero information being expanded into something it simply isn't! How about EVGA across 5 cards expected 21 - 23rd Oct. It doesn't actually tell you anything at all. Doesn't say which cards what the split will be what the numbers will be or what they will do when they don't actually arrive! This information is meaningless! It could be one card or a thousand. That's not keeping people informed, it's actually keeping people misinformed.
It’s information all the same though.

Associate
Afternoon guys.

If some YT channels are to be believed, the vast majority, if not all pre orders will be in customer hands by mid to late Nov. There is suggestion there is a deliberate muscle move to constrain GDDR6x chips to generate a growing desire for the card and encourge more impulse buying. Not a tin foil hat wearer usually but sounds feasible. The sort of numbers were talking is upwards pf 30K chips a week will flood the market in time to satisfy the demand prior to AMD releasing their offering.... Time will tell.

Associate
It’s information all the same though.

This from Gibbo is far more specific and yet you claim it isn't: "An OK amount of Zotac 3080 Trinity OC and 3090 Trinity are due with ourselves middle of next week."

You get to know a rough quantity (thanks to the NDA) and the specific models of card they expect to receive, and a delivery day. This is more information than the other site is providing and I can't understand how you might think otherwise.

Associate
Afternoon guys.

If some YT channels are to be believed, the vast majority, if not all pre orders will be in customer hands by mid to late Nov. There is suggestion there is a deliberate muscle move to constrain GDDR6x chips to generate a growing desire for the card and encourge more impulse buying. Not a tin foil hat wearer usually but sounds feasible. The sort of numbers were talking is upwards pf 30K chips a week will flood the market in time to satisfy the demand prior to AMD releasing their offering.... Time will tell.

There is no evidence of a GDDR6x chip shortage, which is exclusive to Micron. There is however evidence of short term capacity issues at Foxconn affecting not just GPU production, as a result of iPhone 12 launching a month later than planned. This is why there are a lot of chips and no GPUs! and also why they are confident of high volumes going forward. iPhone 12 (with the new 5G facility) launched on Friday and will be available to customers this coming Friday.

Associate
The sort of numbers were talking is upwards pf 30K chips a week will flood the market in time to satisfy the demand prior to AMD releasing their offering.... Time will tell.

The problem is, if nvidia want to be shutting down AMD as competition those cards need to arrive now. Big Navi is only a few days away at this point and people will be cancelling en masse over the next week to ensure they get a refund in time to be first in line for that instead.

I can see the marketing strat but for it to be viable, there needs to be thousands of 3080's arriving across the world pretty much by midweek otherwise the cancellations will start and it'll be too late.

Soldato
The problem is, if nvidia want to be shutting down AMD as competition those cards need to arrive now. Big Navi is only a few days away at this point and people will be cancelling en masse over the next week to ensure they get a refund in time to be first in line for that instead.

I can see the marketing strat but for it to be viable, there needs to be thousands of 3080's arriving across the world pretty much by midweek otherwise the cancellations will start and it'll be too late.

I don't know about that. I doubt the majority of people buying a flagship GPU need the refund to clear prior to buying something else.

Associate
I don't know about that. I doubt the majority of people buying a flagship GPU need the refund to clear prior to buying something else.

Unfortunately the very vocal people, of which there are many, claiming to be without a GPU in the interim says that's probably not as clearcut as you think.

Edit: but I don't disagree it only takes 51% to make a majority

Back
Top Bottom