• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

16GB vram enough for the 6900XT? Discuss..

Associate
Gears 5, Gears Tactics, AC:Valhalla and Dirt 5 are all 4k 60fps on Xbox series X

The problem with the consoles is that they typically hide the graphics fidelity options. The Digital Foundry technical review of Dirt 5 showed that 3 different modes in the game targeted 120hz, 4k or balanced showed that to achieve 4k 60fps the visual settings are dialed right back, same if you want 120hz. Balanced returns a lot of the advanced rendering stuff but drops the resolution to be 1440p/dynamic and 60hz. In fact even in 4k after all the tweaking and dropping of settings the resolution is still technically dynamic and drops to 1440p in places where the frame rate cant' keep up, that tends to happen at the start of races where there's lots of cars around you.

Like for like the consoles just dont have the raw power to run 4k if we apply "PC standards" of comparisons being in Ultra and 60fps.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The problem with the consoles is that they typically hide the graphics fidelity options. The Digital Foundry technical review of Dirt 5 showed that 3 different modes in the game targeted 120hz, 4k or balanced showed that to achieve 4k 60fps the visual settings are dialed right back, same if you want 120hz. Balanced returns a lot of the advanced rendering stuff but drops the resolution to be 1440p/dynamic and 60hz. In fact even in 4k after all the tweaking and dropping of settings the resolution is still technically dynamic and drops to 1440p in places where the frame rate cant' keep up, that tends to happen at the start of races where there's lots of cars around you.

Like for like the consoles just dont have the raw power to run 4k if we apply "PC standards" of comparisons being in Ultra and 60fps.

Ahh so if it can't be maxed settings at 60fps at 4K it doesn't really count?

Soldato
Not gonna bite

first post gets it right, kudos

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-48.png

Associate
Ahh so if it can't be maxed settings at 60fps at 4K it doesn't really count?

I'm hesitant to say yes because I don't want to set a specific standard myself, even though many people do have this very standard on the PC.

It would be more fair to say that if you're going to compare things like the PC to the consoles, and you want to pose the question if something is 4k 60fps capable, the quality the comparison has to be equal. So same shadow resolution, same texture detail, same geometric complexity of objects, same lighting etc. Otherwise you can just keep lowering those settings until the game is 4k 60fps playable, but it'll look like trash and claims of 4k 60fps will essentially be meaningless.

If you set console games to what a PC "Ultra" equivalent would be, they can't run 4k 60fps, not even close.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm hesitant to say yes because I don't want to set a specific standard myself, even though many people do have this very standard on the PC.

It would be more fair to say that if you're going to compare things like the PC to the consoles, and you want to pose the question if something is 4k 60fps capable, the quality the comparison has to be equal. So same shadow resolution, same texture detail, same geometric complexity of objects, same lighting etc. Otherwise you can just keep lowering those settings until the game is 4k 60fps playable, but it'll look like trash and claims of 4k 60fps will essentially be meaningless.

If you set console games to what a PC "Ultra" equivalent would be, they can't run 4k 60fps, not even close.

I said what I said because the poster said it in a discriminatory manor towards consoles.

I, and most realise that if you set the same game to ultra settings, it won't run at a constant 60 fps on consoles, but they cost a fraction of a GPU capable of ultra settings at 4k/60 and then you have the rest of the system to factor into the cost. I don't even think there is even a desktop GPU that costs the same as a series X that performs the same or better.

For me personally a console cannot be beat for the performance it offers for it's price. I'm a PC gamer, and have been for decades, but I'm also a console gamer, and most of the time unless I'm scrutanising screenshots between both, it is quite hard to tell the difference in fidelity. With these new consoles it's going to be even closer, and most games seem to be hitting 60fps so far which is making even thinking about upgrading my PC hard to justify.

Associate
I said what I said because the poster said it in a discriminatory manor towards consoles.

I, and most realise that if you set the same game to ultra settings, it won't run at a constant 60 fps on consoles, but they cost a fraction of a GPU capable of ultra settings at 4k/60 and then you have the rest of the system to factor into the cost. I don't even think there is even a desktop GPU that costs the same as a series X that performs the same or better.

For me personally a console cannot be beat for the performance it offers for it's price. I'm a PC gamer, and have been for decades, but I'm also a console gamer, and most of the time unless I'm scrutanising screenshots between both, it is quite hard to tell the difference in fidelity. With these new consoles it's going to be even closer, and most games seem to be hitting 60fps so far which is making even thinking about upgrading my PC hard to justify.

Ah right OK, I missed that, sorry.

As for price...that's a tricky one. The consoles are closed proprietary platforms that Sony and Microsoft control completely. The business model of how they make money is different than individual businesses selling PC components. The console business model is to sell hardware at cost or sometimes even at a loss in order to make the platform cheap to buy into. Once you're bought into their platform they charge royalties per game. Those royalties are charged to the developers who build games and of course they pass those costs onto the consumers (you) through increased prices of games. Or to put it more simply, you pay less for the hardware up front but you pay more for games.

When you see a new AAA PC game for £50 and the same game on the next gen consoles for £60 that £10 premium is going to the pockets of Sony/MS. Which platform ends up cheaper for you in the long run depends entirely on how much you spend on games, there is a tipping point where after enough games the consoles become more expensive.

Soldato
@PrincessFrosty
Why did you feel the need it to explain to him the business model of selling games consoles?
And why did you assume that he doesn't already know that?

You would save yourself soo much time (and my bandwidth) if you didn't answer questions that weren't asked.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'll keep it short to avoid going way off topic any more but I understand how consoles are often subsidised, but for me a console is way cheaper and they now offer a level of fidelity and performance that suits me as I dont buy many games over a year (perhaps 2 or 3) and probably even less now with game pass

Associate
@PrincessFrosty
Why did you feel the need it to explain to him the business model of selling games consoles?
And why did you assume that he doesn't already know that?

You would save yourself soo much time (and my bandwidth) if you didn't answer questions that weren't asked.

He didn't ask a question, he stated something I disagreed with. Price on consoles is more complicated than hardware cost vs hardware cost, and many people don't understand that. I don't know if he knows that already but my suspicion when he makes a statement on hardware price that he probably doesn't. Even if he knows that, many other people don't and they may benefit from understanding that business model when deciding what to buy. It's a public forum my messages are often replies to specific people but are also an opportunity to discuss the ideas more broadly with everyone.

If you don't want to waste your bandwidth on what other people have to say then maybe public forums aren't the best place to visit. If it's just me you don't want to read then just click my profile link and select ignore and the forum will hide my posts from you.

Associate
It's funny some people missed the troll.

But back on topic, I can't see the 6800XT playing 16k resolution with only 16gb ram.

Just not future proof.

Soldato
He didn't ask a question, he stated something I disagreed with. Price on consoles is more complicated than hardware cost vs hardware cost, and many people don't understand that. I don't know if he knows that already but my suspicion when he makes a statement on hardware price that he probably doesn't. Even if he knows that, many other people don't and they may benefit from understanding that business model when deciding what to buy. It's a public forum my messages are often replies to specific people but are also an opportunity to discuss the ideas more broadly with everyone.

If you don't want to waste your bandwidth on what other people have to say then maybe public forums aren't the best place to visit. If it's just me you don't want to read then just click my profile link and select ignore and the forum will hide my posts from you.
You really need to be more succinct and make less assumptions such as the ones highlighted.

The bandwidth part was a tongue in cheek comment but I couldn't be bothered to stick a smiley face in. My ignore list is for keeping track of people who have ignored me.

Associate
I've been in the console and PC space for about 25 years and have discussed the topic of console vs PC for a very long time with many people and it's extremely clear that a lot of people do not understand the business model for the consoles. Because the argument that consoles = £500 but a PC = £1000+ rages on until today, it's basically a trope at this point.

Just to be clear I didn't assume anything, I thought it was likely he didn't know, but I wasn't certain of that. But the discussion is public and even if he takes nothing from that message then it's very likely someone else will. It's a public forum we're all free to read each other's exchanges. I couldn't even count the number of times I've read exchanges between other people on forums or places of discussion and learned something unbelievably valuable. I like the discussion for the sake of the discussion when other people jump in and have dialogue, I like that.

Associate
The whole thread was created as a joke and you have so many people looking more and more stupid the more they try and prove a serious point in a troll thread....

Should be an I.Q test on sign up, anything over 3 and you're in.

Associate
[QUOTE

And no the new consoles can’t do 4K![/QUOTE]
It’s complete overkill!

And no the new consoles can’t do 4K!
Of course they can, they have to they are aimed at the millions of gamers with 4k tv's so they have to run 4k and they even say at 120fps and 8k (is that even a thing yet) at 60fps.

The consoles specs are actually very good and they are equivalent to a PC costing way over a grand. In fact when you see the specs compared to the PC equivalent it makes me wonder how they do it so cheap or they rip off the PC builder to make up the difference.

Back
Top Bottom