• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
Still running a 3070. So could be limiting frames and not seeing the full picture

I'd say it shows the picture of running a 3070.

Run it with a 3090 and you get the picture of running a 3090.

For top trump reasons the 3090 numbers would be good but I reckon 3070 numbers are more relevant to what people will be using.

Associate
I am not too worried about CPU stock.
  • They have a simpler supply chain (one supplier) and fewer outside dependencies (e.g. DRAM supplies)
  • Due to small box size and low weight they can be air freighted efficiently
  • Lower overall demand. Anyone can get a GPU upgrade, but this is only an upgrade path for up to 1/4 of buyers
Unless they have had yield issues (unlikely) stock should be plentiful over the next month.
Motherboards, on the other hand, I expect there to be issues. Especially for anyone wanting a new AMD graphics card with Smart Access Memory.

Associate
Hey guys can i get your opinions on my build it is aorus elite b450(i know b450) just dont the will power to change out the motherboard and its causing no issue hopefully a ryzen 5 5600x, asus dual 3070 non oc, vengeance 16gb 3000mhz ram now i know its recommended to have probably a 650 watt power supply in this build but since the cpu is only 65 watt i think im just coming to like 450 watts used and thats plenty of room.

Associate
Yeah, that video was posted earlier....
How is the 5900X behind the 5800x and 5600x in some games:
Ryzen-5600X-5800X-5900X-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator_videocardz.jpg

Well, it's not that surprising. 5800X has 8 cores but within a single CCX, in simple terms it means that all 8 cores are in a single cluster, so they all share the same cache, they can switch context(threads) very very quickly with minimal penalty. The 5900X has 12 cores, but in two 6 core clusters instead. There is a connection between the two clusters, but it slows down any kind of cross-core, cross-thread communication if those threads don't run on the same cluster. Since games generally won't be aware of the CPU architecture, they could be getting penalized for this communication between clusters and end up being slower. This is not exactly new. The 5900X is still going to be much faster in situation where cross-cluster context switching doesn't happen very often, or where threads don't share cache data. It's highly situational basically.

Soldato
Hey guys can i get your opinions on my build it is aorus elite b450(i know b450) just dont the will power to change out the motherboard and its causing no issue hopefully a ryzen 5 5600x, asus dual 3070 non oc, vengeance 16gb 3000mhz ram now i know its recommended to have probably a 650 watt power supply in this build but since the cpu is only 65 watt i think im just coming to like 450 watts used and thats plenty of room.
650W is more than enough.

Associate

As a 3900XT owner I see this myself. Some games and apps prefer high single core performance but are capable of using many threads as well. This means that higher thread count AMD processors butt up against their power limit and end up downclocking boost speeds as a result. With manually configured CCX's on the 3900XT you can get around this by using per ccx manual overclocking which disables most power limits. Looks like the game is optimised for 8 cores but can utilise many more. The 5800x is likely hitting its power limit too, whereas the 5600x is able to maintain higher boost having only 6 cores which results in higher fps lows but less fps average. Remember TDP is not Power Limit :).

Intel has really relaxed power limits and you can extend turbo durations too, plus MCE being enabled is sometimes thrown into the mix too (which is often on by default on many motherboards). Intel definitely has boost worked out better at "stock" and in MCE mode compared to AMD's auto boost and PBO.

Associate
Ryzen-5600X-5800X-5900X-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator_videocardz.jpg

I do wonder if these strange results are repeatable and what the overall methodological rigor of the site is. Seems curious they would go with a 3070 since in these kind of tests you do everything to avoid GPU bottlenecks. Either way I'm not unduly worried about the overall performance of Zen 3 and we'll find out for sure later today. The only rational explanation I can thing of is in this game the fact that 5900 has 2 CCX is detrimental but it's more likely down to flaky methodology.

Associate
Maybe the 5800X has less latency due to it having one CCD.as some have said ? The the 5800x maybe the best gaming choice ? my head say 5800 my heart says 5900 :rolleyes::D

Soldato
I wouldn’t read too much into that guys reviews. Some of the tests put 3600XT miles ahead on the new zen3. So there is definitely errors in the collation of data.

where are the main stream reviews. I would have though the embargo would have finished by now.

are they waiting for the POTUS to be decided before revealing their tests?!!!

Aaaarrrggghhh. Want to know.

Associate
Yeah building new rigs for both the wife and I so needed two and the price was too good to pass up - they are eligible for £55 cashback each as well (although probably only once as I did them in a single order!)

They can still be had for £399 and £55 cashback though.

Good price. I paid 375 for the non wi-fi version this week.

Soldato
Well, it's not that surprising. 5800X has 8 cores but within a single CCX, in simple terms it means that all 8 cores are in a single cluster, so they all share the same cache, they can switch context(threads) very very quickly with minimal penalty. The 5900X has 12 cores, but in two 6 core clusters instead. There is a connection between the two clusters, but it slows down any kind of cross-core, cross-thread communication if those threads don't run on the same cluster. Since games generally won't be aware of the CPU architecture, they could be getting penalized for this communication between clusters and end up being slower. This is not exactly new. The 5900X is still going to be much faster in situation where cross-cluster context switching doesn't happen very often, or where threads don't share cache data. It's highly situational basically.
Thanks for that explanation.
So, what do you think the 5950x, with 8 cores per cluster, will perform like? Will the first 8 cores in a single cluster be automatically used in order to make best use of cache?
On the mainframes I work on, the hardware/software attempts to dispatch programs on the same cores in order to make best used of processor cache etc. I assume these AMD chips would do similar.

Associate
Maybe the 5800X has less latency due to it having one CCD.as some have said ? The the 5800x maybe the best gaming choice ? my head say 5800 my heart says 5900 :rolleyes::D
I suspect an overclocked 5800X will be the best choice for games due to having only a single CCX and not having the penalty of crossing the infinity fabric. The 5900X will absolutely rule in multithreading and when compared at stock it might be faster in some scenarios due to being clocked higher. But if you're willing to overclock a bit and *only* care about games, then 5800X is probably the better choice. I do a decent amount of video encoding so I'm aiming for 5900X, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice if you only look for a gaming CPU.

Thanks for that explanation.
So, what do you think the 5950x, with 8 cores per cluster, will perform like? Will the first 8 cores in a single cluster be automatically used in order to make best use of cache?
On the mainframes I work on, the hardware/software attempts to dispatch programs on the same cores in order to make best used of processor cache etc. I assume these AMD chips would do similar.

Yes, and the windows scheduler will be aware of it. The problem is that games aren't aware of the architecture, and there's plenty of games which spawn 40+ threads on Windows, so the scheduler will just assign them wherever(they all belong to the same process, and there is more of them than there is cores, so they will just go wherever is free first), so in some cases you will be running into that penalty. Consoles in theory have the same problem, but on consoles you usually assign the core affinity manually by hand, so games get really optimized to avoid that problem.

As to how the 5850X will perform - probably very very well, except that having that many cores in one package it will run into thermal limits more easily. It's hard to say how much of a limiting factor this will be, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom