BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Hi, My 2014 F30 320 air con has just got annoyed and decided that if I put the passenger side on it will be ok but if I then turn up the temperature on the driver side, the fans stop working altogether. What's gong on here ? Any ideas anyone?

Man of Honour
Quick question to the experts here. One of our neighbours has an M5 (newer one, not sure what the exact model is).

On cold start up, it seems obnoxiously loud and not "nice" loud, just a lot of noise. Is this normal? If so it's ****ing annoying since he leaves at 530am every morning (which isn't a problem for me as that's the sort of time I get up anyway, it's just for my kids and wife really - though the kids seem to sleep through it anyway). Furthermore, our neighbours aren't THAT close to one another (we live in the countryside).

He's nice enough so will chat to him, but if it's normal then there's little point in asking him to try and make it more quiet.

Don't get me wrong it's a cool car, but it just seems antisocially loud.

Soldato
My neighbour had an F10 with the V8 same issue, one neighbour parked her car where he was parking in attempt to avoid the disturbance. Was t great when he was leaving for work at 5:30am. Thankfully his brother borrowed it and put diesel in, then he told me it was misfiring so he was going to return it to “the finance house” ... not sure how he managed that or realised he couldn’t afford to run it properly anyway. As cool as it was in the blue I was glad to see it go.

Basically its high speed cold start to heat the cats up in enough time. F Types suffer a similar affliction.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeh they all do it and only way to get rid of it is to turn it off with a remap. But then it’s going to have illegal emissions.

Man of Honour
Yeh they all do it and only way to get rid of it is to turn it off with a remap. But then it’s going to have illegal emissions.

Yep, as Jonny said it's cold start to heat the primary cats quickly. Lasts for ~2 minutes or so.

No way to stop it without having it coded out.

I feared as much. Thanks chaps.

Ugh. I mean it's not so bad for me, but it's not about me it's also about the neighbours, and the worry that the kids will be woken up. I feel I'm overexaggerating it, the car is well over 10 meters away behind a wall as well - it just seems very loud.

I'm getting old - I used to love that and not care.

Associate
My E89 is somewhat similar. For the first minute or so, the exhausts are loud, then pretty much silent. Setting off in the morning I start the car and immediately drive off as I’m sure my neighbours can hear it. All stock, so nothing I can do really.

Soldato
Might have found a bit of a problem with the Sep 2016 M140 I bought a couple of months ago from a dealer.

I was looking at a BMW service plan and when they checked the mileage against BMW it came back that the last service in Dec 2019 was recorded at 72000 miles.

This is strange as the MOT in Sep 2019 is for 43000 miles and the MOT in Sep 2020 is 50000 miles, which is what I bought it on!

I managed to speak to the servicing dealership and they serviced it 5 times between 2016 and 2020, they also serviced and MOT'd it in Sep 2019 but they recorded the service as 68000 miles but the MOT as 43000 miles.

I've looked at the last 5 services provided by the servicing dealer and it correlates with the 72000 mileage that's been reported but part of me thinks that the services have been recorded in KM rather than miles, which also correlates with the MOT mileages if you divide the service mileage by 1.6.

The dealer I bought the car from has already offered to take the car back and refund me.

My brain says I should just take the refund but I can't understand why this car would be clocked as it only has one owner and it still has a 5 year service plan in place and 2 year MOT guarantee in place from BMW.

The car certainly doesn't look like it's done over 72000 miles and is it possible to even do that on a 4 year old car, what does the OCUK hive mind reckon?

Edit/ just to add, the services shown on the idrive only go up to Jan 2019, which is before the MOT and service in Sep 2019, which does make me suspect.

Soldato
Might have found a bit of a problem with the Sep 2016 M140 I bought a couple of months ago from a dealer.

I was looking at a BMW service plan and when they checked the mileage against BMW it came back that the last service in Dec 2019 was recorded at 72000 miles.

This is strange as the MOT in Sep 2019 is for 43000 miles and the MOT in Sep 2020 is 50000 miles, which is what I bought it on!

I managed to speak to the servicing dealership and they serviced it 5 times between 2016 and 2020, they also serviced and MOT'd it in Sep 2019 but they recorded the service as 68000 miles but the MOT as 43000 miles.

I've looked at the last 5 services provided by the servicing dealer and it correlates with the 72000 mileage that's been reported but part of me thinks that the services have been recorded in KM rather than miles, which also correlates with the MOT mileages if you divide the service mileage by 1.6.

The dealer I bought the car from has already offered to take the car back and refund me.

My brain says I should just take the refund but I can't understand why this car would be clocked as it only has one owner and it still has a 5 year service plan in place and 2 year MOT guarantee in place from BMW.

The car certainly doesn't look like it's done over 72000 miles and is it possible to even do that on a 4 year old car, what does the OCUK hive mind reckon?

Edit/ just to add, the services shown on the idrive only go up to Jan 2019, which is before the MOT and service in Sep 2019, which does make me suspect.

Since it has been a few months, and will be a pain for the dealer, can't you come to a financial arrangement? Sounds like you are happy with the car and it has been serviced on time.

If it is kilometres instead of miles, then all the better. What does it say on idrive?

Example from google images below. If it does corroborate your theory, it might be unethical to not tell the dealer.

Lf2h44u.jpg

Soldato
Since it has been a few months, and will be a pain for the dealer, can't you come to a financial arrangement? Sounds like you are happy with the car and it has been serviced on time.

If it is kilometres instead of miles, then all the better. What does it say on idrive?

Idrive correlates with BMW, the last service on the idrive says it was 47000 miles on Jan 2019.

My thinking is that the servicing dealer has recorded the mileage on every service in KM rather than miles as they did the service and MOT in Sep 2019 but the service is down as 68000 and the MOT is 43000. But I can understand them doing one service and reporting incorrectly but not five!

I am struggling to work out why the car was clocked as it must have been before the dealer got hold of it so why would they bother unless the original owner clocked it because of their finance arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom