Greg Clarke "Filthy Racist" Resigns

Don
This is the man that is at the head of English football being asked about diversity in football. Do you really think somebody in his position should be coming out with "somebody told me girls don't like having the ball kicked at them" or "South Asians prefer working with computers" (I'm paraphrasing before anybody says something). Ignore whether these comments are even discriminatory, they're just completely ****ing stupid things to say. How simplistic and ridiculous could those answers be?

And as I mentioned in my earlier post, this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. He instigated plans for a radical shake-up of English football and when those plans were leaked he tried to distance himself from them, ****ing off pretty much everybody in English Football.

Associate
Seems like a bit of a storm in a tea cup, looking at what was actually said. But then again if these remarks came from someone else he'd probably be at the front of the queue to have them lynched, so I dont really care.

Man of Honour
This is the man that is at the head of English football being asked about diversity in football. Do you really think somebody in his position should be coming out with "somebody told me girls don't like having the ball kicked at them" or "South Asians prefer working with computers" (I'm paraphrasing before anybody says something). Ignore whether these comments are even discriminatory, they're just completely ****ing stupid things to say. How simplistic and ridiculous could those answers be?

And as I mentioned in my earlier post, this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. He instigated plans for a radical shake-up of English football and when those plans were leaked he tried to distance himself from them, ****ing off pretty much everybody in English Football.
If he's incompetent (and I really don't know him as I don't like football) then he should be sacked for incompetence, not the quotes the BBC article lists.

Soldato
The sad thing is every board of every institution in this country lacks backbone. They all cave at the first sign of trouble. No one ever says "honest mistake" or "minor mis-use of language" it's straight to off with their heads. I frankly find it sickening how supine the countries elites are. It's their lack of principle that is allowing this divisive madness to permeate everywhere.

A culture war is being fought and by and large we're putting down our arms without a (figurative) shot fired before a group of zealots.

Don
If he's incompetent (and I really don't know him as I don't like football) then he should be sacked for incompetence, not the quotes the BBC article lists.
He's not been sacked, he resigned and as I said he was already under huge pressure to resign because of his involvement in Project Big Picture.

Soldato
People seeing *isms where there are none simply because they just have to be offended by something. Pretty standard behaviour for the perpetually triggered ********** that infest today's society.

Man of Honour
I’m don’t think anyone has been using coloured in my lifetime. I’m 31

I've certainly experienced it.

10 second Google shows BBC using it in the last decade: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13144324

:edit: that being said, there is an underlying culture around using the word in South Africa from what I can see.

:edit2: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21468892 they quote someone here, no uproar present.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Soldato
I've certainly experienced it.

10 second Google shows BBC using it in the last decade: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13144324

:edit: that being said, there is an underlying culture around using the word in South Africa from what I can see.

That’s fair, but South Africa is definitely not where the UK is in terms of integration and equality.

Man of Honour
That’s fair, but South Africa is definitely not where the UK is in terms of integration and equality.

See edit 2, there are many examples easily Googleable where people say coloured and no one threatens the social gulag. Not to say that this is what's happened here really, as there seems to be a larger context (not investigated myself), just an observation on cancel culture with reference to this specific term.

Soldato
See edit 2, there are many examples easily Googleable where people say coloured and no one threatens the social gulag. Not to say that this is what's happened here really, as there seems to be a larger context (not investigated myself), just an observation on cancel culture with reference to this specific term.

I would see it as offensive, but I try my best to avoid offending anyone.

On topic, he doesn’t seem overly racist to me. Couple of guys on here are saying this was the straw that broke the camels back

Caporegime
I've concluded that if you say anything these days, somebody is going to be "deeply offended," and you're getting fired in the morning.

I apologise for the deep offense this post is causing somebody right now.

Caporegime
"If you go to the IT department of the FA, there's a lot more South Asians than there are Afro-Caribbeans. Said Clarke

Surely that's just a statement of fact

Pretty much... education differences too perhaps but basically see literally any tech company and the proportion of asian, white and black people.

I think the use of the term coloured was silly of him but the context and intent there wasn't harmful.

Not sure about the other remarks, comments about girls playing football isn't bound to trigger some reactions.

Some of the virtue signalling in response to it is rather ridiculous. He clearly has stuck his foot in it tbh... but he's being quite open and honest and frankly there isn't anything in terms of actual intent that is particularly worrying. Perhaps people in senior positions like this ought to be coached a bit before doing things like this instead of winging it completely unfiltered.

Back
Top Bottom