• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Go RTX 3080! Go! :) I am very glad about this, I think there is now a slim chance we might get a game which will use more than 10GB in the next 2 years, but who knows the future, right...
Also there is a point that ray tracing and 4K textures will be available via patch later, so it could still use more.
Not sure about 2 years Crysis Remastered was showing 10GB use at 4K last night.

Associate
Not sure about 2 years Crysis Remastered was showing 10GB use at 4K last night.
Yea and that is at meme settings(can it run crysis?) and i doubt that's actual vram usage...

So yea for some odd games 10gb might limit you from using ultra textures and you might have to drop to very high.... If someone has a problem with that they should wait for the 3080ti or buy the 6800xt. I don't have a problem with reducing texture one notch for 5-10% of the total games i'll play... I doubt this will happen anytime soon, my guess is after 2 years, with the release of Hopper.

Soldato
First Anvil Engine was built in partnership with nvidia. Their partnership expired with Oddysey. Oddysey and Valhalla has been made in partnership with AMD and both are signed with Ryzen & Radeon Logo.

Nvidia still got Watch_Dogs and occasionally Far Cry. Some of the FC games has been made under AMD banner.
I'm talking about technology, not marketing deals. Odyssey & Valhalla use overwhelmingly the same tech as previous AC since Unity - and Ghost Recon too. That's what's built with Nvidia and what matters, not what AMD/Nvidia logo is shown at the start of the game.

It looks like it turns on some of the AMD Fidelity FX image quality improvements, included in that is the HDR wide gamut tone. The game is AMD Sponsored so it will make use of Fidelity FX effects.

EDIT Just checked and it enables AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) and the HDR Mapper (LPM), Link.

Game looks like DUNG! without LPM turned on. And in HDR? OH my. The difference on & off is like night & day.

Associate
I'm talking about technology, not marketing deals. Odyssey & Valhalla use overwhelmingly the same tech as previous AC since Unity - and Ghost Recon too. That's what's built with Nvidia and what matters, not what AMD/Nvidia logo is shown at the start of the game.

Game looks like DUNG! without LPM turned on. And in HDR? OH my. The difference on & off is like night & day.

Look as good as this?

Download link in this video...

Book of the Dead
Photorealistic Looking Unity Game Demo

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont see an issue with those complaining about not enough vram, its the price of being an early adopter, you bought the product, take it on the chin and move on, you got a good card so enjoy and upgrade when nvidia brings out the new 4080 3.5gb vram;)

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRoQRUX67XQ&list=WL&index=4&t=200s

Towards the end, the 970 with only 4gb(or 3.5gb idk) of vram can still play with the 4k texture pack at 1080p... how??

It says the game needs 7.5gb.. How is the 970 still giving out decent framerates? Is the usage actually a lot less at 1080p? Like below 4gb?

If it was running out of vram it would be at 5-10fps.

Seeing this makes me feel a lot better about 10gb vram... i mean ill be at 1440p so there is a bit of a headroom anyways...
Although its weird that 3060 gets 12gb of vram but 3080 only has 10gb(latest rumours)

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRoQRUX67XQ&list=WL&index=4&t=200s

Towards the end, the 970 with only 4gb(or 3.5gb idk) of vram can still play with the 4k texture pack at 1080p... how??

Most game engines today have something like a texture pool, a space of reserved vRAM for swapping in and out high resolution textures, this pool size will be based on your cards vRAM amount and what settings you use, and then the game simply streams in and out textures from disk to fill that pool. It doesn't necessarily mean your frame rate will tank or stutter if you get what others call a "cache miss" because typically the engine will paint the world with low resolution versions of that texture and then simply swap it for the high resolution version once it becomes available. It means you'll get more noticeable texture pop in but you wont have games pausing while they fetch assets from disk which is what used to cause that horrible stutter that people are afraid of.

Ultra on a 970 will be a lot lower than Ultra with newer cards because it cannot do ray tracing effects and so all of that is disabled.

Soldato
Soldato
Associate
Most game engines today have something like a texture pool, a space of reserved vRAM for swapping in and out high resolution textures, this pool size will be based on your cards vRAM amount and what settings you use, and then the game simply streams in and out textures from disk to fill that pool. It doesn't necessarily mean your frame rate will tank or stutter if you get what others call a "cache miss" because typically the engine will paint the world with low resolution versions of that texture and then simply swap it for the high resolution version once it becomes available. It means you'll get more noticeable texture pop in but you wont have games pausing while they fetch assets from disk which is what used to cause that horrible stutter that people are afraid of.

Ultra on a 970 will be a lot lower than Ultra with newer cards because it cannot do ray tracing effects and so all of that is disabled.

Oh okay, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom