• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
If its 60c with reference cooler, even if its with fans at 100% which i seriously doubt, it bodes well, can drop the fans lower fir a bit more heat!

i'm expecting that to be 100% and possibility in a chilly environment but hopefully not. Best of all I'm really hoping that AMD don't limit the 6800 clocks like they did with the 5700!!! Should be a wee beasty if they allow it :cool:

Soldato
If the 6800 is doing 2.5ghz at 60c why the heck did the series x console get limited to 1.8ghz, seems like they should have been able to get more out of the consoles

Caporegime
If its 60c with reference cooler, even if its with fans at 100% which i seriously doubt, it bodes well, can drop the fans lower fir a bit more heat!

On a serious note, that 3 fan reference cooler looks more than capable of keeping the card cool and quiet, it's as decent looking as a lot of Partner cooling systems.

I think AMD are starting to polish their GPU launches a step at a time, quite like they did with Ryzen CPUs.

One thing we always derided them for was their awful blower coolers, looks like this could be them saying "Hey, we listened"

Seems the performance in Rasterization is there, and their first attempt at Ray Tracing looks to be ok, lastly their rumored FidelityFX Supersampling (DLSS) is in the works as well.

Looks to me like they ticked the box of most arguments actually, so i seriously doubt they are going to change cooler design and it be a fail.

I reckon the reference cooler will be as good a cooler as your average 2.5 slot 3 fan gpu cooler.

60c at a reasonable fan speed with relatively low noise.
Yeah I am optimistic that they put some effort into the cooler, and anyway by this point after decades of cooling experience within the industry it really shouldn't be rocket science to make something that is a decent mix of performance vs noise. I just read in a rumour article that it had been benched and it was loud at load:

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 3DMark Time Spy Extreme Benchmark On Par With GeForce RTX 3080 – Rumor Claims Great Drivers, Excellent Temperatures But Noisy Cooler https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-3dmark-time-spy-benchmark-on-par-with-rtx-3080/

Looking forward to seeing more info over the next few days.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I am optimistic that they put some effort into the cooler, and anyway by this point after decades of cooling experience within the industry it really shouldn't be rocket science to make something that is a decent mix of performance vs noise. I just read in a rumour article that it had been benched and it was loud at load:

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 3DMark Time Spy Extreme Benchmark On Par With GeForce RTX 3080 – Rumor Claims Great Drivers, Excellent Temperatures But Noisy Cooler https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-3dmark-time-spy-benchmark-on-par-with-rtx-3080/

Probably cheap fans then if its super noisy lol...

Tempted to bite on the reference, but somethings telling me to just hold on for the Partner cards!

Soldato

The actual quote in the article paints a different picture BTW.

The triple-fan cooling solution is said to be slightly noisy but offers excellent temperatures

Soldato
Excellent Temperatures But Noisy Cooler

From my long history of dealing with temperatures and coolers.

Be they excellent, noisy or otherwise.

I have the firm belief.

That the fans are turned up.

Should be a simple matter to reverse this to achieve sub-excellent temperatures and an un-noisy cooler.

By turning the fans down.

:eek:

Caporegime
Yes it looks like it paints the same picture to me @Chuk_Chuk, unless my verbal reasoning skills have deserted me.
They have not deserted you, it's the same meaning.
@Richdog and @Participant

IMO with the difference in wording, one comes across as potentially being tolerable (depending on the individual), while the other is what i would describe the 290x cooler as.
The context of the article from title to text was clear, the cooler has been said to be, to some extent, noisy. The word noisy itself gives you the clue. How you then chose to interpret into that into "noisiest cooler ever like the 290x" and "tolerably noisy" is something, erm, else. ;)

Soldato
They have not deserted you, it's the same meaning.

The context of the article from title to text was clear, the cooler has been said to be, to some extent, noisy. How you then chose to interpret into that into "noisiest cooler ever like the 290x" is something, erm, else.
I guess we just place different importance on the "slightly" adjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom