• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Just for general info, I did make an order at 14:37 but it looks like OCUK oversold and they are not getting any more stock in so are refunding orders including mine. Demand was once again much higher than supply!

How refund? Refund probably means they don't expect any future shipping? :eek:

Soldato
Maybe if godfall was cyberpunk. Godfall is a garbage game to partner for. Plus it’s ‘timed’.

Only thing i already bought this year is a ps5 which will be here tomorrow. Both gpus are underwhelming this ‘gen’. AMD almost had it, if RT was better and had an answer to DLSS ( a real one not... pfsssfx)

For the record, ill repeat myself. AMD already won here in Romania. The 3080 is 300 euros more expensive...

You realise the PS5 has an AMD GPU right ;)

Soldato
Just for general info, I did make an order at 14:37 but it looks like OCUK oversold and they are not getting any more stock in so are refunding orders including mine. Demand was once again much higher than supply!

Seen the same message everywhere: AMD lied, supply is worse than Nvidia and reference cards are a limited edition short quantity run. If you didn't get a card, you have to buy an AIB aftermarket one and expect significant price increase over reference.

AMD pulled an Nvidia playbook move by setting its RRP too low, retailers are ****** because they make no money selling a reference card and customers will be ****** when they have to buy an AIB card thats 30% more expensive than AMD's claimed RRP.

Associate
How refund? Refund probably means they don't expect any future shipping? :eek:

I can't see how this is breaking any rules so I'll just quote the email here:

---

Thank you for your order with Overclockers UK.

Unfortunately AMD only had a limited quantity of this product for sale and we will not receive any more stock.

Due to high levels of website traffic and thousands of people trying to order the product at the same time, we were unable to prevent the product from overselling.

We have shipped orders on a first come first served basis and regret to inform you that we do not have sufficient stock to complete your order.

We are working hard to process refunds as soon as possible. Please do not call or message us as this will only slow the process.

The good news is there will be a variety of new products available for sale from next Wednesday (25th).

We apologise for any inconvenince caused.

Associate
Seen the same message everywhere: AMD lied, supply is worse than Nvidia and reference cards are a limited edition short quantity run. If you didn't get a card, you have to buy an AIB aftermarket one and expect significant price increase over reference.

AMD pulled an Nvidia playbook move by setting its RRP too low, retailers are ****** because they make no money selling a reference card and customers will be ****** when they have to buy an AIB card thats 30% more expensive than AMD's claimed RRP.

Its a shame since I just wanted as bare as possible as I'll only rip the cooler off and watercool it anyway (silence is most important to me)

Soldato

edit: oops double post

Permabanned
I can't see how this is breaking any rules so I'll just quote the email here:

---

Thank you for your order with Overclockers UK.

Unfortunately AMD only had a limited quantity of this product for sale and we will not receive any more stock.

Due to high levels of website traffic and thousands of people trying to order the product at the same time, we were unable to prevent the product from overselling.

We have shipped orders on a first come first served basis and regret to inform you that we do not have sufficient stock to complete your order.

We are working hard to process refunds as soon as possible. Please do not call or message us as this will only slow the process.

The good news is there will be a variety of new products available for sale from next Wednesday (25th).

We apologise for any inconvenince caused.

This means that there will be no reference cards anymore... Very weird.

What is going on? Ryzen 9 5900X is nowhere to be found, removed from the listings and now this?!

I am not going to settle with the much inferior Ryzen 7 5800X or Radeon RX 5700 XT.

AMD, get your act together!

Associate
Do you even remember your own posts?

You said

5 games in the grand scheme of games released on a yearly basis is not a lot. and I'm being generous since i already named one them.

You seem emotionally invested in this conversation. I would recommend you go and cool your head.

You ask for one more example. You got more than one. I am not going contact every developer and find out every game that uses RT. I have better things to do than prove the obvious fact that nvidia out maneuvered AMD with RT. That the consoles like the PS5 will make RT mainstream.

This hurt AMD because they lack RT performance. DIRT 5's use of ray tracing appears to be applied to vehicle shadows, providing high detail contact shadows without a huge performance cost. Its a very limited use of RT. If we consider Control which is a RT game, then AMD performance is poor. The problem for AMD is that games like Control are the future.

Associate
Yeah I think the bottomline is the RTX 3080 and AMD 6800XT are both coming to become irrelavant around the same ammount of time. Which one lags behind which first at 4K is going to be based on whether VRAM adoption and big caches become more popular or RT effects.

Given new consoles are packing RT... RT seems to be the likely graphical element to be suped-up. Now the counterargument is RT will be optimised for consoles running on AMD hardware; yes; but as we've seen in the past, those same optimisations seldom get trickled down as delicately to PC.

That's true, I mean games like WDL can be very heavy on the GPU because of RT effects, it's also true that games like FS2020 and Avengers at 4k Ultra are also unplayable, in fact Hardware Unboxed review did used FS2020 in their suite of games and it was unplayable at 33fps average on the 6800XT. And only slightly less unplayable with the 3080 at 40fps. It's additional 6Gb of vRAM simply isn't helping here, real memory usage of FS2020@4k ultra show about 9Gb being used at those settings. And there's no ray tracing in FS2020 to my knowledge. Obviously RT really add to this GPU burden and wont be used in every game so that'll be hit or miss but I still suspect many future games will make the GPUs give out before the vRAM. We definitely do need more games as evidence though to build a better case for this.

Optimizations on the console really help overcome that lack of raw power but that tends to come later in their development cycle once developers have learned all the tricks for the silicon. Some software optimizations for RT might cross over however, like culling certain objects from rendering in reflections. I'm hesitant to call that optimization though, it's more akin to just lower settings. Either way RT looks great, it's set to be the future and the consoles have embraced it which is cool, look forward to more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom