• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The damage control squad is out in full force. Can’t stop bringing up ray tracing and VasalineSS.

and 4k, don't forget about that lmao.
Everyone knows that 1080p gaming is where real gamers play at using low settings to get 500fps, none of this 4k rayvtracing ultra settings console player hogwash that these fake pc gamers claim to care about

Caporegime
OCUK are saying supply of AIBS will be pretty decent a week from today but there will be no more AMD reference.
Is that actually what they said, tho?

Because I read something different. Next week pre-orders will open on AIB cards. They will not be fulfilled until December at the earliest. Initial stock does not seem to be all that special either.

Soldato
AMD have fidelityfx which is their DLSS. Cyberpunk 2077 is not listed on AMD's website as supported. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-supported-games Dont get peoples hopes up. Cyberpunk 2077 is a nvidia RTX title.

If this is correct AMD cards wont get RT at launch as well. https://www.gfinityesports.com/arti...a-amd-hardware-gpu-cd-projekt-red-xbox-ps4-pc
FFX you're thinking of is just CAS (sharpening), that's a driver-level toggle for both, I'm not talking about that like it's their DLSS. I mis-read his post, when I said 'it will' I meant it will have DLSS, hence the trailer. Obviously it will not have AMD's version (super resolution) because it doesn't exist yet, and wouldn't anyway because they have partnership with Nvidia so that's precluded.

Soldato
RTX 2060, my 2080 died. The card I got to replace it will likely never arrive. I am disappointed with the AMD cards. I was hoping for better but knew about the lack of RT performance for some time.

I'm impressed with AMD the leap from rdna 1 to 2 is massive I was expecting it to just match 2080ti

Anyway about RT AMD are in first phase so what did you expect ??? Also current RT games are Nvidia sponsored i.e optimized ?

I prefer higher FPS at 1440p for games so RT doesn't interest me especially for online games , I get it for story based slower games RT can be nice as high FPS isn't as important but let's see future RT games when it's not sponsored by Nvidia all current ones are based with Nvidia hardware in mind are they not ??

I'd be fine to play some slow based games with RT 60fps+ also AMD DLSS doesn't exist they haven't implemented it yet

Caporegime
Is that actually what they said, tho?

Because I read something different. Next week pre-orders will open on AIB cards. They will not be fulfilled until December at the earliest. Initial stock does not seem to be all that special either.

I mean I got the email, it straight up says we're refunding you. No you're on a list, no we're expecting cards in two weeks and you might get one then just boom, look out for the AIBs in a week.

If there were more cards coming our orders would have gone into preorder.

Instead not only OCUK but EVERYONE closed sales and no one is taking preorders. That never happens unless there is literally no more cards coming.

Associate
FFX you're thinking of is just CAS (sharpening), that's a driver-level toggle for both, I'm not talking about that like it's their DLSS. I mis-read his post, when I said 'it will' I meant it will have DLSS, hence the trailer. Obviously it will not have AMD's version (super resolution) because it doesn't exist yet, and wouldn't anyway because they have partnership with Nvidia so that's precluded.

No worries, read you wrong.

Associate
I'm impressed with AMD the leap from rdna 1 to 2 is massive I was expecting it to just match 2080ti

Anyway about RT AMD are in first phase so what did you expect ??? Also current RT games are Nvidia sponsored i.e optimized ?

I prefer higher FPS at 1440p for games so RT doesn't interest me especially for online games , I get it for story based slower games RT can be nice as high FPS isn't as important but let's see future RT games when it's not sponsored by Nvidia all current ones are based with Nvidia hardware in mind are they not ??

I'd be fine to play some slow based games with RT 60fps+ also AMD DLSS doesn't exist they haven't implemented it yet

If you dont play RT games. Like say Destiny 2, then RT performance is not a priority. 6800xt could be an option.

RT is about how many rays per second the hardware can handle. You can tweak the features but its still about raw performance. Also as the resolution increases the raw power (amount of rays needed) needed goes up massively. So for hi resolution gaming you what your hardware to be as fast as possible.

If your hardware is slower than needed for all the RT features you have to reduce quality or resolution.

Games run Directx 12u DXR. This is why there are benchmarks for Control run on AMD 6800xt cards. DXR will run on any hardware that supports Dx12u.

RT being massively slower for AMD means that NVidia cards are faster in the latest DX version. Thus the fastest cards going forward into the future.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I mean I got the email, it straight up says we're refunding you. No you're on a list, no we're expecting cards in two weeks and you might get one then just boom, look out for the AIBs in a week.

Instead not only OCUK but EVERYONE closed sales and no one is taking preorders. That never happens unless there is literally no more cards coming.
Yes I'm not disputing that bit. I'm fairly sure from the various reports that there are no more AMD-branded reference cards. They were a limited run and no more will be produced.

I mean the AIB situation. They aren't quite as close as you made it seem, and the numbers might be pretty small when they do arrive.

The whole thing is a crap show (again) and the AIBs are likely to be more expensive just to add the final insult :p

Soldato

After all the grief OCUK got regarding the Nvidia 30x0 launch, queues, holding money for goods they don't have, etc, is it any wonder they are not going to do that again?

It's also possible the initial batch of AMD card are small, and it's all going to be AIB cards in a few weeks. AMD looking after their partners, while Nvidia has never been shy about throwing theirs under the bus.

Associate
Are today's reviews and benchmarks indicative of what we can expect from the 6900 XT cards? The 6900 XT is hardly likely to perform any better at 4K or have better ray tracing is it?

I've been holding off on buying a GPU (or more accurately joining a queue for one) until reviews of the 6000 series. Now I'm not so sure what to do.

I'm sort of newish to PC gaming (console peasant for many years), but I'm building a new system and I'm 21st in a queue for a Ryzen 5000 CPU. So apart from waiting for that to arrive, the GPU will be the final component I need. I bought a brand new 75 inch 4K TV with HDMI 2.1, so to get full use of that I need either an Ampere or a Big Navi card. And now with today's reviews out, it's looking like Big Navi under performs somewhat in the 4K arena.

So do I join the queue for a team green GPU now, or continue to hold off for 6900 XT reviews and see how that performs at 4K, or if it fares any better with RT?

Or is there no point waiting for that now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom