Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Soldato
Ours was expensive (~£100) but at 4ish years old is still working flawlessly and seems bulletproof and still runs silent.

I know a few people with cheaper £20/£30 versions and they have, over time, started to rattle or whine when running

As with a lot of these things some people are more susceptible to it than others but once I hear it at my father in law's that's all I can seem to focus on

Soldato
Good thread, I have a 550XP Mk2, got my chainsaw ticket last year, NPTC 201,202 & 203 (CS30,CS31). Produce all our own firewood now, mostly ash and a bit of oak.

Associate
I am very keen on getting a Woodburner installed in our kitchen/diner - it's a big room that tends to take a while to warm up.

What can I expect to pay for installation and does anyone have recommendations on companies?

thanks!

Soldato
OP
Can anyone recommend a stove fan?
They all look pretty much the same so I was going to go with the cheapest on Amazon.

I've had this for going on 3 years and the father in law we got him it for Xmas last year - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valiant-FIR361-Premium-4-Blade-Powered/dp/B012CDB1AU?th=1

NOTE, Ventum 3, link goes to the 4 blade option. It's 3 blade VENTUM 3 we have. It's excellent.

ps that Stovax of yours is a beasty. Cracking stove.

Good thread, I have a 550XP Mk2, got my chainsaw ticket last year, NPTC 201,202 & 203 (CS30,CS31). Produce all our own firewood now, mostly ash and a bit of oak.

I'm thinking about selling my 435mk2 and 550xp and getting 550mk2. Have you used a 550XP to compare the mk2 with?

I am very keen on getting a Woodburner installed in our kitchen/diner - it's a big room that tends to take a while to warm up.

What can I expect to pay for installation and does anyone have recommendations on companies?

thanks!

It really depends on a lot of things.
Where about are you located?
Very, VERY roughly you will be unlikely to see any change from £3k at least if it's a complete new install of a new stove in a large area of your house.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree depends hugely on where you are, what drive you go for, if you need a flue / liner etc

Of the two we've had, the first was about £2.5k all in and included disconnecting / removing and disposing of the old gas fire / hearth and surround with a new granite hearth, oak mantle and cowl as well as skimming the builders opening but no liner and the stove (in that price) was ~£900

Had an extra over price, if needed, of £450 for a liner

Had my second (different house) fitted about 3 years ago was £3k for removing / disposing of the old gas fire / surround and hearth, forming the opening, liner, cowl, skim the opening and breast, oak mantle, slate hearth and same stove

So I'd budget around the £3k mark as a ballpark figure

Soldato
I have one of the Lumamu brand 4 blade silent ones. Cost £30 2 years ago and came with a magnetic thermometer.

Does a great job of moving the warm air to the far corners of the room, but you can just make out a low “thrumming” noise when the fire is banked (louvred closed - minimum air intake) and the TV is off.

Not a problem for us as the TV is hardly ever off in the evenings during autumn and winter.

Soldato
My first choice of wood burner has to be Clearview - best stove I have ever had but expensive but you wouldn't regret it.

If you have a house built before 1970's get the chimney liners checked -We had ours checked and was told they were OK - 8" clay liners -2 yrs down the road we had black tar water come through ceiling - Turned out builder put them in upside down with sockets faceing down - Had to rip it all out and put a liner down .

Clearview all the way.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
My first choice of wood burner has to be Clearview - best stove I have ever had but expensive but you wouldn't regret it.

If you have a house built before 1970's get the chimney liners checked -We had ours checked and was told they were OK - 8" clay liners -2 yrs down the road we had black tar water come through ceiling - Turned out builder put them in upside down with sockets faceing down - Had to rip it all out and put a liner down .

Clearview all the way.

400P here.
500 at in laws (over 20 years old, only replaced front rope this year for him, never needed anything else).
400 at sister in laws.
750 at her uncles.

Got my 400P for £500 second hand. In the best local stove shop they know me as "the guy who got a 400 for 500" because the installation guy was raging he can't even get a clearview that cheap and was jealous :p

So yeah. Best in the business. There's a reason the entire family has them ;)

Soldato
400P here.
500 at in laws (over 20 years old, only replaced front rope this year for him, never needed anything else).
400 at sister in laws.
750 at her uncles.

Got my 400P for £500 second hand. In the best local stove shop they know me as "the guy who got a 400 for 500" because the installation guy was raging he can't even get a clearview that cheap and was jealous :p

So yeah. Best in the business. There's a reason the entire family has them ;)

We've got a Pioneer 400 - came with the house :cool: We've rented numerous cottages / houses over the years which have had a wood burner and the Clearview shows a lot of them to be rubbish. The CV seem so easy to use and quickly get up to a good temperature, then throttle it back so it needs minimum attention. Some of the other stoves seem to need a lot more attention to keep in the sweet-spot.

Usually end up buying split logs, so don't have anything other than hand tools. Small hand-axe for kindling, Bahco bowsaw and a Fiskers XXL X27 splitting axe. During the first lockdown I did spot the remnants of a wind-fall tree up the lane from home, so one night I scooted up in the car and lobbed as much as possible in my boot :D

Soldato
I'm thinking about selling my 435mk2 and 550xp and getting 550mk2. Have you used a 550XP to compare the mk2 with?
Only used the 550XP for a couple hours, few years ago. Nice saw, don't think there's much real world difference between the two. Probably better to have two saws than one MK2. I also have a 35cc Efco which gets used for light stuff.

Soldato
OP
Only used the 550XP for a couple hours, few years ago. Nice saw, don't think there's much real world difference between the two. Probably better to have two saws than one MK2. I also have a 35cc Efco which gets used for light stuff.

Oh I've got an MS391 with 20" bar as well so 550XPmk2 would be my general use for most stuff saw until I need the 391.
And just got handed a little MS170 that I need to sort/service and then have that at disposal also.
Never short of saws in my garage!

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions, I don't mind stretching to £50 for a quieter fan, if the cheaper ones have a tendency to be noisey I'd rather pay a little more.

I've seen the Stirling engine ones and while they look good I couldn't justify the cost, especially as we still have lots of work to do on the house.

Associate
It really depends on a lot of things.
Where about are you located?
Very, VERY roughly you will be unlikely to see any change from £3k at least if it's a complete new install of a new stove in a large area of your house.

Agree depends hugely on where you are, what drive you go for, if you need a flue / liner etc

Of the two we've had, the first was about £2.5k all in and included disconnecting / removing and disposing of the old gas fire / hearth and surround with a new granite hearth, oak mantle and cowl as well as skimming the builders opening but no liner and the stove (in that price) was ~£900

Had an extra over price, if needed, of £450 for a liner

Had my second (different house) fitted about 3 years ago was £3k for removing / disposing of the old gas fire / surround and hearth, forming the opening, liner, cowl, skim the opening and breast, oak mantle, slate hearth and same stove

So I'd budget around the £3k mark as a ballpark figure

I guess £3k is about where my head was at - would be a complete new install with a twin flue through the wall and out up the side of the house. Will go and have a look at some stoves (Clearview seems popular!) and some installers :)

Associate
There are many good brands these days, Clearview made their name as solid multi fuel stoves, and still are one of the best multifuels. But they havent been updated in a while, so as we speak it doesnt meet the new eco design regs.

Others good brands you could look at are, Contura, Woodwarm, Clock, Scan, Chesneys, Jotul, Fireline, Charnwood to name a few.

Soldato
Wood!! I miss my stovax brunel 1A stove and the regular splitting of wood with my gransfors splitting maul.

What I don't miss is the odd wasp nesting on the wood and scaring the **** outta me when the living room warmed up.

Back
Top Bottom