• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OLED negating the need for high refresh rate monitors?

Soldato
Linus Tech tips and The Good Old Gamer have videos up which make for interesting viewing

OLED + Ryzen 3100/b450mobo/3600cpu + 2070/5700 gpu = smoother more clarity gaming experience than a mad expensive high end rig (3080/6800) + 360Hz monitor?

Anyone got an OLED they game on, that can confirm this? This could be a huge shift away from the mindset of needing a crazy high end refresh rate monitor setup and expensive GPU?

GOOD OLD GAMER
https://youtu.be/FGmY5vvhtAA

LINUS TECH
https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw

The price of OLEDs though :o

Soldato
Well the 48" LG CX is a popular choice for monitors, too big IMO and too small for a TV.

I game on a 55" LG BX, looks amazing, unfortunately no GSYNC/120Hz for me, I can imagine everything would be butter smooth though, 4k 60 is.

Soldato
Linus Tech tips and The Good Old Gamer have videos up which make for interesting viewing

OLED + Ryzen 3100/b450mobo/3600cpu + 2070/5700 gpu = smoother more clarity gaming experience than a mad expensive high end rig (3080/6800) + 360Hz monitor?

Anyone got an OLED they game on, that can confirm this? This could be a huge shift away from the mindset of needing a crazy high end refresh rate monitor setup and expensive GPU?

GOOD OLD GAMER
https://youtu.be/FGmY5vvhtAA

LINUS TECH
https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw

The price of OLEDs though :o

I think you had the 'right' board originally:D

Try in here

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/lg-48cx-oled-4k-120-hz.18883464/

Problem I have with it is the amount of OLED's for sale on Ebay with burn in and panel issues. Loads of them, even recent models B's C's and CX's. Plus it seems they are still a bit fiddly to get working and you'll need a 3000 series+ to use them at 4k 120hz as only those cards have HDMI 2.1.

Still need to put my PC in the living room and try it on my OLED but not got round to getting an HDMI 2.1 lead yet.

Caporegime
I've been gaming on OLED TV's since 2016 and yes they are amazing :)

Just waiting to see if I can unleash 4k/120hz when the Nvidia GPU I ordered in September eventually arrives!

Soldato
It is a damm nice experience on OLED. Been using a 3090 with LG C9 OLED. HDR + G-Sync + 120hz @ 4k is dang amazing experience. Another important point is they pass LCPM so also get full atmos passthrough to AV receiver which has been so awesome recently playing gears 5 / Assassins creed valhalla combined with graphical goodness. I dislike going back to my normal monitor which is still pretty exceptional (PG348Q).

All that said, prior to the 3090, used a 1080Ti and even that locked at 60hz @ 4k (settings tweaked) did a very nice job. Personally I do plan to get a smaller OLED to replace my gaming monitor, hoping on something smaller then 48" though, ideally 43" or something. Paired with John Lewis burn in warrenty and will be fine I think.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I’ve got a LG C9 and a 2080Ti and the improvement was noticeable when I switched from my older Panasonic 4K TV.

GSync certainly deals admirably with those 45FPS lows, and HDMI 2.1 is looking good for VRR too when I get something that supports it.

Wanted a 3090 for 4K/120 but the mental pricing put me off, and that’s coming from a 2080Ti owner for the past 2 years! Now looking at the 6900XT potentially but if I can’t get one of those either I may just sit it out until the next GPU’s and make do with a PS5 instead.

Soldato
I’ve got a LG C9 and a 2080Ti and the improvement was noticeable when I switched from my older Panasonic 4K TV.

GSync certainly deals admirably with those 45FPS lows, and HDMI 2.1 is looking good for VRR too when I get something that supports it.

Wanted a 3090 for 4K/120 but the mental pricing put me off, and that’s coming from a 2080Ti owner for the past 2 years! Now looking at the 6900XT potentially but if I can’t get one of those either I may just sit it out until the next GPU’s and make do with a PS5 instead.

3080 for 4k shirley?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
3080 for 4k shirley?

Honestly don’t think it’s worth it coming from a 2080Ti that overclocks alright. 3090 has that additional performance I’m after but the pricing is ridiculous.

Think the 6900XT may have longer legs than the 3080 given time too. Fine wine and all that.

Be interesting to see what Nvidia do about a 3080Ti though.

Associate
OLED has much better response time so you are going to get better clarity and less blur with motion. This by no means negates the need for high refresh rates though, 120hz is going to be much smoother/responsive than 60hz no matter what screen tech it is.

Looking forward to microled displays so we can have all the benefits of oled without the worry of degradation - unfortunately it seems a few years off yet

Permabanned
Smoother than 360hz? Sounds impossible but clarity? I could believe this i would not be surprised as LCD tech is so poor even my 280hz is about where i would want it and no less. But i find it hard to believe 120frames on an OLED can match 360 frames on an LCD. On a 1000fps slow motion test every motion moves in steps up until about 240hz no amount of tech can solve that it is how frames work.

Caporegime
Well the 48" LG CX is a popular choice for monitors, too big IMO and too small for a TV.

I game on a 55" LG BX, looks amazing, unfortunately no GSYNC/120Hz for me, I can imagine everything would be butter smooth though, 4k 60 is.
Same TV as me and whilst it looked amazing for gaming, unfortunately it wasn't viable for my area, so back to my monitor I went. OLED is the way forward though and if my plan goes forward, I will have the newer LG OLED for gaming on. No other technology for screens has me interested but screen burn is a risk?

Soldato
I went from an AW3418DW to a CRG9 to a 55'' C9 to a 77'' GX.

The monitors in comparison felt like peasant pieces of trash with disgusting colours, a pathetic contrast etc. what was also shocking is the flickering and awful rubbish on the dedicated PC gaming monitors. people cried about it on the LG OLEDs (which they now have a fix for) but I've been living with that in PC VRR land forever (e.g. loading screens).

Generally as PC gamers we've all known for a long time.. we pay a lot of money and get very little back. We are the bottom of tech society in terms of value, always crying for the bleeding edge but always getting a fairly basic product back given the £££ we put in. having the LG OLED for the first time changed that.

I think there is no doubt that LG can really challenge and destroy the high-end gaming monitor space if they continue at the pace they are going at. If they can knock out an 240hz panel in the next 2-5 years, and maybe get the panel size even low to say 40''... surely some of the bigger boys are in trouble.

Permabanned
I went from an AW3418DW to a CRG9 to a 55'' C9 to a 77'' GX.

The monitors in comparison felt like peasant pieces of trash with disgusting colours, a pathetic contrast etc. what was also shocking is the flickering and awful rubbish on the dedicated PC gaming monitors. people cried about it on the LG OLEDs (which they now have a fix for) but I've been living with that in PC VRR land forever (e.g. loading screens).

Generally as PC gamers we've all known for a long time.. we pay a lot of money and get very little back. We are the bottom of tech society in terms of value, always crying for the bleeding edge but always getting a fairly basic product back given the £££ we put in. having the LG OLED for the first time changed that.

I think there is no doubt that LG can really challenge and destroy the high-end gaming monitor space if they continue at the pace they are going at. If they can knock out an 240hz panel in the next 2-5 years, and maybe get the panel size even low to say 40''... surely some of the bigger boys are in trouble.

You mean VRR flicker? I mentioned this when someone called out Gsync for being buttsync and saying its more cash for trash. Yet i had no issues until i went Gsync compatible which is VRR no? One of my games has horrible flickering i have to cycle to get it to stop and then i am ok. I never had an issue with Gsync.

Imagine a Gsync module 240hz 42inch OLED. Now compare that with the trash called 27" 4k 144hz remember folks £1999 for that! And that 34" 200hz Ultrawide remember that trash? The PC market is a goldmine it is where you send your trash and sell it to idiots for premium prices.

£1999 monitors, £1500 graphics cards and £800 cpu. People are ruining the market for the rest of us because they are simpletons.

Soldato
The PC market is a goldmine it is where you send your trash and sell it to idiots for premium prices.

£1999 monitors, £1500 graphics cards and £800 cpu. People are ruining the market for the rest of us because they are simpletons.

Maybe all the idiots and simpletons earn more money than you because they aren't as 'simpleton' as you think they are.

You can get a 27 inch 4k 144hz panel for way less than £1k, you are cherry picking the most expensive - and you don't need an £800 CPU either. You'll be moaning that you cant afford the top end mountain bike because it's £10k and those that are buying them are spoiling it for you because you cant afford one, no wait, you are entitled to one, but not at that price.

Gaming for simpletons sits firmly in consoles, along with their affordable price. Not that this iteration of consoles are ever going to do 120hz @ 4k and 1440p isn't even supported apparently.

A good review of OLEDS - https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_cx_oled.htm

Permabanned
Maybe all the idiots and simpletons earn more money than you because they aren't as 'simpleton' as you think they are.

You can get a 27 inch 4k 144hz panel for way less than £1k, you are cherry picking the most expensive - and you don't need an £800 CPU either. You'll be moaning that you cant afford the top end mountain bike because it's £10k and those that are buying them are spoiling it for you because you cant afford one, no wait, you are entitled to one, but not at that price.

Gaming for simpletons sits firmly in consoles, along with their affordable price. Not that this iteration of consoles are ever going to do 120hz @ 4k and 1440p isn't even supported apparently.

How do they earn so much being such simpletons then? It may be £999 now it was £1999 at launch. They are taking advantage of them face reality the PC market is being ruined by these people. Who says i can not afford it? Do you know my finances?

If i wanted one i could buy one, But why would i inflate the market for myself for no reason? Now every monitor that is high end like 4k 240hz will cost £1999. How much did the OLED cost at launch? About the same £1999 yet one is 27" the other was 48" haha.

Caporegime
OLED has much better response time so you are going to get better clarity and less blur with motion. This by no means negates the need for high refresh rates though, 120hz is going to be much smoother/responsive than 60hz no matter what screen tech it is.

Looking forward to microled displays so we can have all the benefits of oled without the worry of degradation - unfortunately it seems a few years off yet
This.

Suspect the problem with non-OLED monitors is how many of them have response times above the maximum for 100% refresh rate compliance.

Ie if you have a 165 Hz monitor your maximum pixel transition time is ~6ms. If many of your pixel transitions take longer than this, then you don't "really" have a 165 Hz experience. This is especially true for VA and some IPS in dark scenes.

If you have 100% pixel transitions under 6ms then you have a true 165 Hz display.

Blurbusters seem to think the end game is 1000 Hz. With today's LCD tech I'm not convinced that anything above 144Hz is really worth the money. You'll pay out the wazzoo for it also :p

But 60Hz will always be awful no matter what display tech you use :p 120-165Hz I think is the sweat spot right now.

Back
Top Bottom