PG35VQ Opinions

Caporegime
Even at the reduced price of 1799 this is selling for in black friday deals elsewhere, it's still expensive.

For this sort of money, the rivals are:

LG 38GN950 38inch at £1500
Samsung Odyssey G9 49 inch at £1279
Alienware AW3821 DW 38 inch at a predicted £1300

The alienware and LG are both IPS panels. However the Alienware is G sync ultimate if that matters to you, and 144hz. Plus they're both bigger at 38 inch instead of 35. The samsung is VA and 240hz if you want a VA vs an IPS. Plus the samsung is massive, and has that incredible curve. Downsides to that, is the quality issues that everybody is having.

For me, it just seems over priced to it's rivals, even with the black friday discounts. For me, i'm in this market and actively looking now, and my money is going on the Alienware. Even though I do expect it to be more than the rumoured 1300 price tag.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, yeah I’ve been really on the fence with all three of those. but I just feel like I want to stay with 3440x1440 as I don’t want to tank my FPS any further. I nearly did pull the trigger on the G9 but I think it’s just too big. As much as ied love it while playing racing, strategy or story mode games it would bother me on the FPS games.
that’s why I find 3440x1440 is the sweet spot for me.

Caporegime
If 3440 x 1440 is the sweet spot for you, have a look at the LG 34GN850. IPS, 144hz (overclocks to 160), both AMD Freesync and G-sync compatible and sub 1k.

That's where my money would be going at that res.

Soldato
What are people opinion on this monitor?

Do you own one? what are the pros and cons?
I only just received mine and have only used it for a few hours so am still playing around trying all the settings

Am trying to think of a way so i can set up my older IPS PG348Q next to it so i can compare them, But that not an easy thing to do as my desk is only just big enough for a single monitor..

nIN4RpB.jpg

Associate
OP
I only just received mine and have only used it for a few hours so am still playing around trying all the settings

Am trying to think of a way so i can set up my older IPS PG348Q next to it so i can compare them, But that not an easy thing to do as my desk is only just big enough for a single monitor..

nIN4RpB.jpg
I pulled the trigger on Jeffs offer as well in the end. same boat as you

Associate
It’s an absolutely fantastic monitor, won’t regret it. I got it 4 weeks ago (upgraded from a PG279Q) and the only thing that needs is to fiddle a bit with calibration and settings, it’s not just plug and play as my previous one was. Definitely worth it and in a league of its own (yes pricey but well worth it), should serve well for a few years.

Soldato
It’s an absolutely fantastic monitor, won’t regret it. I got it 4 weeks ago (upgraded from a PG279Q) and the only thing that needs is to fiddle a bit with calibration and settings, it’s not just plug and play as my previous one was. Definitely worth it and in a league of its own (yes pricey but well worth it), should serve well for a few years.
I know what you mean by it not plug and play

Last night i worked out that there this HDR/SDR brightness balance slider in the windows settings that you can adjust so you no need to keep switching the HDR mode off & on :):):)

5GWHOPa.png

Last edited:
Associate
Does make me wonder if there a new version of these monitors coming out with a few updates like HDMI 2.1

Don’t think so. As a matter of fact (maybe I’m missing something here) but can’t see the advantage of this monitor to have HDMI 2.1 in these resolutions. Personally I always use DP anyway.

I know what you mean by it not plug and play

Last night i worked out that there this HDR/SDR brightness balance slider in the windows settings that you can adjust so you no need to keep switching the HDR mode off & on :):):)

5GWHOPa.png

I have mine at 40 but will need more testing and maybe go further down.

Soldato
Yes mate. Over the moon with it. Games look so awesome. Still got loads to look at in settings
How you getting on with it ?

I bought a few new HDR games in the steam sale to try out the HDR on it with :D

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order
DOOM Eternal
RESIDENT EVIL 2
RESIDENT EVIL 3
Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Plus i already had these games below that support HDR
FS2020
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Red Dead Redemption 2
Metro Exodus