Random 3D printing chatter

Man of Honour
Im on the case again today... more progress...

So far today we have added the ground block and ground wires from the mains, psu etc all wired up.

I added the cable management for bed wires, Ive also printed more cable management parts to hide all the wires in the frame.

In terms of fans i'm just building a little 12v fan breakout board, and when pulling all the wiring back noticed that all the fans including the cooling fan were powered directly from 12v so no pwm controll on cooling. I think we are going to change that and have 2 cooling fans on pwm and the rest wired into 12v. @deuse also provided me with a couple of fans wired up somehow via usb but they are 5v so im either going to have to poke around the board for 5v or create a little 5v breakout section for more fans. Im not sure on that part yet.

Soldato
Im on the case again today... more progress...

So far today we have added the ground block and ground wires from the mains, psu etc all wired up.

I added the cable management for bed wires, Ive also printed more cable management parts to hide all the wires in the frame.

In terms of fans i'm just building a little 12v fan breakout board, and when pulling all the wiring back noticed that all the fans including the cooling fan were powered directly from 12v so no pwm controll on cooling. I think we are going to change that and have 2 cooling fans on pwm and the rest wired into 12v. @deuse also provided me with a couple of fans wired up somehow via usb but they are 5v so im either going to have to poke around the board for 5v or create a little 5v breakout section for more fans. Im not sure on that part yet.

It's coming together well @Vince

Glad it went to a good home :)

Man of Honour
It's coming together well @Vince

Glad it went to a good home :)

Bit by bit... tomorrow there will be more but today i fitted v3.1 bltouch, removed the old wiring for fans and wondered what was going on with wiring but this printer has some crazy wiring by design looking the the wiring diagrams. Two endstops share power pins, hot end fan shares some pins with x min endstop its all crazyness.

All the little white clips are printed out of the petg or it might be pla that you gave me. I just keep churning them out while im sorting other parts of the printer out.

At the moment I am just rewriting the firmware into marlin 2.0. I have the 1.1 config.h files so it should just be a case of copying all the values in, copying in the config for the bl-touch, copy the config in for the titan and we should be away. I want to add an lcd as the current firmware says no so im going to do that as well. Might take a bit longer this way but it's worth it.

In hindsight I should have just went straight in with the SKR 1.4 but this way I'm taking it slow and learning how it's all wired up.

Last edited:
Associate
From the official Prussa Shop (hmmm) :-

We don't temporarily accept orders
to the UK due to the Brexit situation

This is discussed briefly during the Prusa livestream. Skip ahead to 1:31 to see the question about uk shipping being discussed.

They mention that ground shipping is being delayed and or stopped entirely which may be the bigger issue right now. DHL is mentioned as stopping all ground shipping and I know that DPD stopped ground deliveries before Christmas and won’t be reviewing that until the new year. Combined with whatever changes they need to make regarding taxes or the other intricacies of the UK no longer being a part of the EU, it makes sense that they would put a hold on deliveries to us. They won’t be arriving anyway so better to use the time to figure out any changes that need to be made.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upgraded my Ender 3 today from a fairly old version of Marlin 2.x-Bugfix to the latest release. Seems to have fixed a few issues I was having which is good. Spend the time to run through the entire config again to make sure all is set correctly.

Run some PID tuning, Stepper calibrations etc and it's printing a whole lot nicer now. And the sensorless homing is working way better than it ever has.

Man of Honour
Upgraded my Ender 3 today from a fairly old version of Marlin 2.x-Bugfix to the latest release. Seems to have fixed a few issues I was having which is good. Spend the time to run through the entire config again to make sure all is set correctly.

Run some PID tuning, Stepper calibrations etc and it's printing a whole lot nicer now. And the sensorless homing is working way better than it ever has.

Same for me today. I upgraded the dbot core xy and painstakingly went through the Marlin v1 firmware on thingiverse and added every setting into the latest marlin build. Then went in and added all the settings for the new bltouch, the titan aero thats on it etc. Still a fair amount to do but its almost at printing time.

Properly coming along now. @deuse did this machine ever have an lcd? also those measurments I was talking about on the bltouch.. I measured them with a set of calipers and it appears to be x -25 y 33 so thats what im going with :)

Right now the 220v bed/thermostat is independently wired into 220v so im going to grab the user manual and see if I can't wire that in so the board can also control that, i think it can but im not quite there yet. Also i'm pretty sure right now that in it's current config the relay is doing sod all as the bed has been significantly upgraded over stock. Other than that once I upload the firmware ive just compiled the v3 bltouch, auto bed leveling and all the goodies should be good to go, cant wait.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same for me today. I upgraded the dbot core xy and painstakingly went through the Marlin v1 firmware on thingiverse and added every setting into the latest marlin build. Then went in and added all the settings for the new bltouch, the titan aero thats on it etc. Still a fair amount to do but its almost at printing time.

Properly coming along now. @deuse did this machine ever have an lcd? also those measurments I was talking about on the bltouch.. I measured them with a set of calipers and it appears to be x -25 y 33 so thats what im going with :)

Right now the 220v bed/thermostat is independently wired into 220v so im going to grab the user manual and see if I can't wire that in so the board can also control that, i think it can but im not quite there yet. Also i'm pretty sure right now that in it's current config the relay is doing sod all as the bed has been significantly upgraded over stock. Other than that once I upload the firmware ive just compiled the v3 bltouch, auto bed leveling and all the goodies should be good to go, cant wait.

I tried to use a screen, but couldn't find one big enough.

As said. It's the mounting of the BLTouch that is out.

I gave you a link where it tells you the measurements the BLT must be from the bed.
After you have done that. Then you will have to mesure x and y again and put the change in the code.

Soldato
This is discussed briefly during the Prusa livestream. Skip ahead to 1:31 to see the question about uk shipping being discussed.

They mention that ground shipping is being delayed and or stopped entirely which may be the bigger issue right now. DHL is mentioned as stopping all ground shipping and I know that DPD stopped ground deliveries before Christmas and won’t be reviewing that until the new year. Combined with whatever changes they need to make regarding taxes or the other intricacies of the UK no longer being a part of the EU, it makes sense that they would put a hold on deliveries to us. They won’t be arriving anyway so better to use the time to figure out any changes that need to be made.

It's just Prusa hasn't kept up with things.
But it won't take them long.

Man of Honour
I tried to use a screen, but couldn't find one big enough.

As said. It's the mounting of the BLTouch that is out.

I gave you a link where it tells you the measurements the BLT must be from the bed.
After you have done that. Then you will have to mesure x and y again and put the change in the code.

Not any more it isnt, ive measured that bad boy and all its offsets are sorted in firmware, I even ported marlin 1 to marlin v2 and its all working just fine. I have however fried 3x mega 2560 boards last night, I say fried but its only 5v rail so the boards do technically still work. All of them went the same place, 5v transistor and i think its because of the servo on v3 bltouch as well as an lcd etc all running off the 5v. Basically the 2560 has very weak 5v rail so some big ass transistors will be here today and ill have to mod a 2560 to handle a bit more 5v in that rail. Failing that ill have to just use another 2560 (ordered an extra one) and create a seperate 5v breakout board to power anything 5v, a bit like I did for the 12v fan breakout. I could equally just feed 5v directly into the board and bypass the transistor on the board, thats also an option. Anyway here are 3 fried mega 2560's (ill fix them all later today) :)

Told you, should have went straight in on the skr :) also with the v3.1 i can easily send gcode to work out its true Z home before auto leveling. First though I need to stop frying boards. In the mean time I'm going to hook everything 5v up to my bench supply and see what is draws, I think the 2560 is rated at something like 200ma per pin and max total draw of 500ma so im assuming that whatever im doing is pulling a lot more.

Last edited:
Soldato

Properly coming along now.

Nice work :) It's a long process to get all the settings done, but very satisfying when you upload it and everything works. What board are you running?

Forgot to add to my last post, I also upgraded my Pi2 to a Pi4, Octoprint is massively quicker now. Just checking the output from the buck converter here to power it.

Man of Honour
Nice work :) It's a long process to get all the settings done, but very satisfying when you upload it and everything works. What board are you running?

Forgot to add to my last post, I also upgraded my Pi2 to a Pi4, Octoprint is massively quicker now. Just checking the output from the buck converter here to power it.

ATM this printer is on a mega 2560 with ramps 1.5 but I burned out 3 mega 2560 boards last night (I think this is to do with 5v servo on bltouch 3.1) so am waiting for the amazon man to hand me some transistors I ordered at 3am :) I do have a skr 1.4 that i'm going to eventually put in it when I get the settings all right, tbh I should just program that now but I thought I would go in steps. like for like as it was but with bltouch 3.1 an lcd and with the firmware upgraded from v1.0 to the latest build marlin. Then I was going to go in with the skr, tsm2208(i think) drivers, colour touch lcd etc.

Tbh with the current board I could just use a buck converter and wire everything 5v directly to that power wise

On closer inspection this morning the pinout for the bltouch (fake) cable is oddly correct one end and wrong the other.... ive been feeding 5v directly to ground :D This is why ive blown 3 boards :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whoops :D

I run the SKR 1.3 it's a great board. Also got TMC2209's.

I think mine is a 1.4 Turbo. TBH I haven't played with it much yet and am waiting for the amazon delivery so might get the skr out now it out now and have a little play. See if I cant get Marlin on it and have a go at getting the LCD's working - I have both the 25 and 35 btt ones so think the bigger one will go nicely on this printer.

All the boards I have played with so far. So the TriGorilla (which is what my i3 clone is running), the geetech gt2560, ramps etc have all been 8bit boards that im totally familiar with. The SKR is a whole new ball game for me so I am going to take my time with it.

Soldato
I think mine is a 1.4 Turbo. TBH I haven't played with it much yet and am waiting for the amazon delivery so might get the skr out now it out now and have a little play. See if I cant get Marlin on it and have a go at getting the LCD's working - I have both the 25 and 35 btt ones so think the bigger one will go nicely on this printer.

All the boards I have played with so far. So the TriGorilla (which is what my i3 clone is running), the geetech gt2560, ramps etc have all been 8bit boards that im totally familiar with. The SKR is a whole new ball game for me so I am going to take my time with it.

Are those LCDs the dual mode ones? I have the BTT TFT35 v2, it's pretty cool. There's not a great deal of difference going to 32-bit in terms of setup and use to be honest. But nice not being limited by space when programming.

Man of Honour
Are those LCDs the dual mode ones? I have the BTT TFT35 v2, it's pretty cool. There's not a great deal of difference going to 32-bit in terms of setup and use to be honest. But nice not being limited by space when programming.

Thats the ones.. these little fellas

And this board...

post images

Given the new mega 2560 isnt here and this firmware is basically done I might go straight in with the skr

Back
Top Bottom